Off-Topic The accountants strike back

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 7th Jan, 2015.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good old Toyota realabilty what a load or utter cr@p

Toyota engine woes | Auto Express

Next time anyone says Toyota are superior to Honda I will send my prime 28 day mature turd to go with your stake.

The story is from 2008 what the hell..

2. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Yes I also heard they had issues with the 2.2 diesels and the 1.8 VVTI petrol engines although I believe they were much improved after 2003.

Funnily enough when I was in a taxi earlier today en-route to pick up the 7th Generation I just bought the taxi driver said he had a 2001 Celica VVTI 190 that had done 270k on the original engine and gearbox.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    To play devil's advocate, doesn't Toyota own Denso of which can be found in Hondas?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes they are vendors not engine makers thank god for that.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As an ex Toyota lover, I must say that over the past decade or so, Toyota have seriously gone downhill. They are horrid inside now, all plasticky and noisy. I wouldn't buy a Toyota anymore. Pre 2000, they were much much nicer.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My Father had Toyotas in the 1970's - and compared to the Ford/BL/Rovers he had previously, I thought they were fantastic.

Shame that they seem to have lost the plot. I looked at a RAV4 when it was launched, and the interior was nowhere near the quality of a Honda. Even so, the prices are keen and the warranty is long, so perhaps I should go back and have another look...:Ermm:

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Definitely! We have a 2001 Yaris, the last to be built in Japan I believe and practically nothing goes wrong even today lol

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say as far back as 1997 they started to lose the plot they were infatuated to get GM position and tried everything under the sun to get that number one position. Well when they got there we all know what happened then didnt we.

Toyota is a class example of corporate greed, then they started to go into bed with other manufacturer to make their engine which is obvious as the fired all the engineers and replaced them with accountants

9. Nighthawk Guest

Completely agree - in their bid to get to the top, they lost the very position they were trying to attain.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

As normal, everything is worded to make it look as though they are caring for their customers. In reality, they should have just built the engines correctly in the first place. As you say, it all boils down to sheer greed. Short term gain, long term pain!

11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    They've started using BMW diesel engines which tells you all you need to know about their faith in their own engines.

My Uncle has got a new Toyota Verso 7 seater thing. It's absolutely awful. The dashboard wouldn't look out of place in an 80s Toyota. What really made me laugh was just how thin the carpet is, the carpeting in the boot of my Accord is about 10 times thicker!

Nasty cars these days I'm afraid and they've dragged Subaru down with them.

12. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thing is it took decades to build their reputation but it only takes a few years of bad cars to ruin it.

The same can be said with Mercedes and their corporate greed, their cars of the 60's,70's and 80's were built like tanks and over-engineered then they rested on their laurels, cut corners to maximise profit and things rapidly went downhill. Anyone remember how notoriously unreliable the Mercedes ML 4x4 was?

13. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I don't to be honest. I worked for Merc for a few years in the 00's and the ML was on the whole a reasonable enough car though pretty ropey to drive. The petrol models were noticeably lower in build quality than their Austrian built Diesel sisters but that's about it and the amount of petrols sold was miniscule. The rest of the range with the exception of the CLK was pretty terrible from that period. My dad has a new ML and that's a lovely car.

14. Nighthawk Guest

Thats the problem when the manufacturing process is controlled by accountants and not engineers. People who have no experience in certain areas become in charge of just those areas.

15. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You can't let either the engineers or the accountants run the business and SAAB is an excellent example of both. A fine balance between the two is required unless the accountants have an excellent marketing department and an egotistical customer base.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Having looked at a Subaru recently (the Forester) and a Toyota (RAV4) what I find so frustrating is that the interiors of both are fine in terms of dashboard / leather seat quality, but then they put in terrible quality carpets and hard, cheap feeling, door & centre console trims. Why? Must be to keep costs down...

The interior quality of my Accord and the CR-V is, my opinion, a significant step up. Mind you, comparing the CR-V with either the RAV4 or the Forester, it is also a step up in price spec for spec. I guess that is why Toyotas continue to sell - price - as well as previous reputation.

Mind you, where I don't think I'd have a Toyota, I would have a Subaru...:Unknown:

18. Nighthawk Guest

I would have an older Subaru for sure, I wouldn't have the a newer one. Those original foresters were bullet proof, just like the Toyota Hi-Aces/Hiluxs.

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^My sister has a 2008 Legacy Outback. I swear, in the event of a nuclear holocaust, the only things that will still be alive on earth are the cockroaches and that car...:Grin:

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The 4th Generation 2003-2009 was the last half decent Legacy, after that the styling went rubbish and I feel they were trying to appeal to a larger market than what they usually cater for.