Announcement The All New European 2nd Generation Honda HR-V The Lowdown

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2015)' started by Ichiban, Friday 19th Jun, 2015.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is the low-down on the new HR-V by myself and @DeviateDefiant , as many of you are aware we were at Geneva to properly document the new model launches, and get information out to the Honda scene as fast as possible (that was the plan). This thread should have been done ages ago but we never got round to document and publish it for everyone in time due to other commitments. So without future delay this the the entire low down we at HK are are prior to the launch this summer.

From the concept and the final pre production model Announcement - Introducing the 2nd Generation All-New HR-V nothing major and Honda have left everything to the delight to many owners and enthusiasts. Our overall impression was that the fit and finish was above standard for a car made in Mexico, now this being a show piece model, I guess that is expected the best dressed model and some extra refining has gone into for the show - however if this is going to be the standard of the production models themselves, then people should have no reservations over the build quality and durability.

145357. 145511. 151902. 152628. 152658. 145452.

Honda did hide the Chassis code for the new HR-V but its widely known as the chassis code ranges between RU1-RU4, it proudly displays where this car is made.

The VIN tag location can be found on the Left B Pillar. Additionally For both Left Hand Drive and Right Hand Drive vehicles, the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is located, between the right front seat and the door frame.To see the VIN, just lift the lid that is covering it.

HKVINRU1-4.

The car is built from multi country vendors and we can envisage the Honda world wide localisation policy on vendors will step up as the production of this car ramps up in Mexico. We will see more parts being sourced in Mexico going forward.

The Aircon condensers is sourced locally in Mexico , Alternator from Italy Nissin ABS modulator & Hitachi sensors from Japan.

145820. 145843. 145931. 145856.

The interior are well appointed and continuing the new Honda interior design ethos which is now the standard on the new cars.The interior has classy use of high finish piano black finish with chrome accents which are in the right places for the touch of class.The seats are part leather and fabric or full leather which are pretty comfy and with refined interior presentation it has the feel of a big upmarket car. The car retains the legendary magic seat which give the new HR-V the excellent flexibility for owners and their load lugging efforts.

145543. 145559. 162843. 145627. 145528. 145713. 145421.

The new HR-V will be equipped with Honda Connect, for full information see this thread. The new HR-V features a new A/C touch control panel which has an integrated touch sensor that detects changes in electric charge, thus enabling for a operation very similar to the operation of a smartphone. This means that the A/C control panel can be operated using the tap and slide gestures that are commonly used in smartphones .Unlike this new CTR this unit is a full touch system. I can see myself with my OCD cleaning my fingerprints as I go along keeping the glossy appearance.

The ideal place to put your cleaning cloth below the touch panel :Smile: The lower panel has two USB ports,One HDMI and one power supply, making connecting your device easy and free from clutter.

The model on display was equipped with Keyless Access System when the key transponder is detected within a certain distance of the car, pressing the button will unlock the car for all passengers.

The new HR-V is the first Honda vehicle to be equipped with an Electric Parking Brake (EPB) and a Brake Hold function (BH). This new system replaces the traditional parking brake lever and its mechanical linkage with an electrically controlled motor that applies or releases brake force in the rear brake discs.
    This reduces driver effort and provides additional features such as:
    • Parking brake operation without worrying about operating force.
    • Parking brake automatic release upon acceleration.
    • Automatic rollaway prevention.
    • Brake pressure automatically applied to the brake discs when the vehicle stops moving

Brake Hold and Electric Parking Brake.

The top button Electric Parking Brake Switch and the button below is Brake Hold

The new HR-V continues the same theme of ADAS Technologies like the Civic Tourer These technologies operate in the same way as in Civic Tourer and CR-V.

• City-Brake Active System
    • Forward Collision Warning
    • Traffic Sign Recognition System
    • High Beam Support System
    • Intelligent Speed Limiter
    • Lane Departure Warning
    For a better explanation see this clip:

Intelligent Speed Limiter

The Intelligent Speed Limiter extends the familiar speed limiter functions by using information from the Traffic Sign Recognition System.

The driver’s chosen speed limit can be set as normal using the steering controls.

Intelligent Speed Limiter.PNG
    If the “LIM” button on the steering wheel is pressed twice, the system will extend the normal speed limiter functionality to monitor for speed limit related traffic signs.It then provides an audible and a visual warning in the MID to the driver if a clearly signed speed limit is being exceeded.It can be overridden anytime by simply pressing full throttle.
    Intelligent Speed Limiter 1.PNG

How does LIM works:
    1.As soon as the “MAIN” switch is pressed, the cruise control function is set to stand-by mode.

2.The first time the “LIM” switch is pressed, the speed limiter function will become active (the set speed will be the current vehicle speed).

3.The second time the “LIM” switch is pressed, the Intelligent Speed Limiter function will become active (set top speed will be the current vehicle speed until a new speed limit traffic sign is detected).
    Intelligent Speed Limiter 2.PNG
    Pricing
    There was no pricing announced for the HR-V at Geneva and still at the time of posting this thread there is no indication to the price tag of the car.

The exterior fit and finish was really good with shut line and body clearance line very tight and uniform, what we did not like is the exposed parking sensors all around the car. The current facelift CR-V has flush sensors which give the car a clean look. Hopeful Honda does the same when the HR-V gets to the showroom.

Engine
    The new HR-V is equipped with a direct injection petrol engine, featuring a DOHC VTEC with VTC system which enables a high balance between fuel economy and output, and therefore complies with the EURO 6 emissions regulations.

The I-DTEC diesel engine that is currently being used in Civic and CR-V is also available, now featuring several improvements to comply with EURO 6 emissions regulations.

Petrol Engine
    EarthdreamHKRU1-4 petrol.

Diesel Engine
    1_6i-dtec2-2HK. 145751. 145757. 145914.

The 1.6 i-DTEC EarthDream Engine -

At Geneva we only saw the 1.6 since its been out for some time its well known.

upload_2015-6-19_14-32-22.

The 1.6 I-DTEC engine is basically carried over from Civic 5 doors. However this engine has received several modifications to reduce noise, friction and emissions.The first picture shows a piston with a smaller size skirt area to achieve a lower friction and the second picture shows a new NOx Storage Catalyst (NSC) combined with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) to achieve lower emissions.These are two samples of the several modifications that the I-DTEC engine has received to comply with Euro 6 emissions regulations

With the elimination of the hand fuel primer, the ECM has now a software function that prevents the engine from running out of fuel.

Primer.

The warning the owner will see on the dash when low fuel levels are experienced.

running out of dieselHK.PNG

The Engine bay and new labels

145938. 145953.

The New HR-V and the 4th Generation Jazz willbe the first two cars in Europe to use the all new refrigerant Hfo-1234yf.More information can be found here .With the introduction of a new refrigerant gas (HFO-1234yf), the A/C compressor oil to be used has also changed to a POE (Polyol Ester) type.PAG (Polyalkylene Glycol used with HFC-134a refrigerant gas) and POE (Polyol Ester used with HFO-1234yf refrigerant gas) type of AC compressor oils cannot be mixed, and if they do get mixed, this will lead in a first stage to excessive operation noise and later on to compressor seizure.

hfo-1234yf_compressor_oil.

We like to remind HK members always follow the workshop manual instructions for calculating the amount of A/C compressor oil that must be added when servicing the A/C system or seek help from a Honda Dealer

Transmission
    The new HR-V is equipped with a 6 speed Manual Transmission newly developed for this model and a 7 speed Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with Torque Converter.

MT Combined Reservoir - The versions equipped with the 6 speed manual transmission (MT) have the hydraulic clutch master cylinder reservoir combined with the brake master cylinder reservoir. If the clutch hydraulic system has a leak, a baffle plate will prevent the brake master cylinder from running out of fluid. Because of this design, the low fluid warning will not switch ON if the clutch master cylinder runs out of fluid.

combined mthk.PNG

This new Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) features several improvements to reduce overall weight, reduce friction and to expand the ratio range in which this transmission will operate.This transmission also features a torque converter which drastically improves the kickdown characteristics and the linear response during acceleration.

CVT New Fluid - With the introduction of a new type of CVT that uses a torque converter, an exclusive new CVT fluid designated as “HCF-2” will need to be used whenever the CVT fluid needs to be replaced and/or toped up.

“HCF-2HK”.

The CVT dipstick on the new CVT was replaced by a simple filler cap as shown in the first picture.Using other transmission fluids that are not the “HCF-2”, will result in a CVT failure, so when replacing or topping up the CVT fluid, always use “HCF-2” fluid.If by mistake another transmission fluid is used, it must be drained immediately and the CVT must be flushed out 4 times using the correct CVT fluid.

CVTHLRU1-4-1.

The fluid level is now checked by removing a check bolt located close to the yellow oil caution label (shown in the picture) to allow any excess of fluid to be drained out.

CVTHLRU1-4-2.

Checking the CVT fluid level, after fluid replacement, now requires a new procedure to be carried out, so please refer to the workshop manual for detailed information.After this flushing procedure is completed, please fill up the transmission with the correct fluid and check the CVT fluid level following the service information procedures.The new fluid contributes to reduce friction, and was developed due to the higher torque capacity of the new CVT.To prevent the incorrect fluid from being used, the new CVT fluid colour was changed to yellow

Suspension and Wheels

The Car on show was on 17 inches alloys with a distinctive alloys

The 2016MY HR-V front suspension is a McPherson strut with a new lower control arm and a hollow stabilizer bar for reduced weight. For the rear suspension a new double walled torsion beam is used to improve ride comfort, while increasing stability. A rear hub unit bearing is used to increase rigidity and to achieve both driving stability and light weight. To improve handling stability and ride feel, Amplitude Reactive Dampers (ARD) are applied to both the front and rear suspension

ARD Dampers

HR-V is equipped with a new type of dampers designated as Amplitude Reactive Dampers (ARD). In this type of dampers, the main piston valve is fixed on the piston rod and thus continuously dampens its motion, whilst the second piston valve is suspended between two springs. At full stroke, the second piston valve function is to contribute to an increase in the overall damping force thus improving dynamic handling.

ARD damper.PNG

HR-V Exterior Dimensions
    HRV.PNG

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A few High Res images by Honda UK media.

HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (1). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (2). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (3). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (4). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (5). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (6). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (7). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (8). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (9). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (10). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (11). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (12). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (13). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (14). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (15). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (16). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (17). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (18). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (19). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (20). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (21). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (22). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (23). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (24). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (25). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (26). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (27). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (28). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (29). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (30). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (31). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (32). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (33). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (34). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (35). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (36). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (37). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (38). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (39). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (40). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (41). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (42). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (43). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (44). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (45). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (46). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (47). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (48). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (49). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (50). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (51). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (52). HK_2015_Honda_HR_V (53).

JAB and SpeedyGee like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The pricing has been released today

All-new Honda HR-V will be available from
    • The S grade model priced from £17,995 OTR
    • Mid-grade SE model priced from £19,745,
    • The upper-grade EX available from £23,195

Highly competitive PCP finance from £149 a month at 5.9% APR with 30% deposit

All-new addition to 2015 Honda line-up will arrive in showrooms in late August, Honda have done well to keep the price down, one of the reason this car is made in Mexico.

The competitive list prices and examples
    57303_HR_V_pricing.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Exterior dimensions of the new HR-V added to the main thread.

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks good but my only small concern is regarding the pricing.

Nissan Juke NISMO is available for £21,995 so I sincerely hope this isn't another Honda pricing own goal. BMW X1/launch of an Audi Q1 and Honda is again trapped in the pincer movement. Now I know why I should buy the HR-V over the Juke or the X1 (aside from the far better looks) but does Joe Public?

Not meaning to sound negative but I would hate to see simple pricing break the success of this car.

Of course this can be counteracted with a good ad campaign and some decent offers. I know Honda are always dead against offers (and I can understand why) but let's face it this is why the roads are awash with Audis and BMWs - they give them away but their years of successful advertising and brand building means that this has negligible (if any) impact on residual values as you can almost charge what you like for a used Audi someone will always pay it.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I hear you but will HUK push this car history shows us Honda cars not made in the country don't get the marketing push when it come to sales. So shall we assume the outcome just now or wait and see lessons have been learnt .

The cynic in me say no they haven't.

John Dickson likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they have learned from the mistakes made over the (lack of) marketing of the 8th Generation Accord.

Time will tell I suppose but I am also cynical and have assumed the outcome but I hope they prove me wrong.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HR-V new advert

Just another Honda classic or we getting bored of these adverts.