General The art of VTEC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SayamaAccord, Sunday 6th May, 2012.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Okay, so we hear all the time about the wonders of VTEC...

Which is a system in Honda petrol engines where the valves lift higher when the engine exceeds a set RPM level ((4750?) to let more air/fuel mix in and more exhaust gases out...

But how do people get it going?

Let's say you're at traffic lights...

Do you just take the needle up to the start of the red zone in first, then change up and take it up to the start of the red zone in the other gears?

Or is there more to it than that?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We at AOC do not condone street racing but if you have to get the best out of a VTEC best on the track .. Coming back to the question I use the max torque curve for the 2.4 in city driving. I change at 4200 RPM on fourth its opened up further on the motorway.

Last edited: Wednesday 9th May, 2012
  3. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its impossible to keep the K24 in the VTEC window as its so small, 6-7.2k. But in the older b-series if you redlined it and did a quick change it'd stay in the VTEC window easily. Constant VTEC is the best, can't wait to get mine mapped and seen to:OTT:

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sounds good...how does the map lower the crossover point though...isn't VTEC controlled by a solenoid and oil pressure rather than the ECU...?

5. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Aye a remap can lower the actuation point, you'll have enough oil pressure as long as your oil is warm and you're not daft and set VTEC at 2000rpm, lol! Depending on how it gets mapped you can also take throttle pressure into account, for instance you can have it set that VTEC only kicks in with more than 75% throttle pressure. For that it'd need to be a piggyback or a standalone. I doubt a simple remap could do that

6. Stephen B Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Challenging yes, impossible No :Smile:, was much easier in my FN2

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome Stephen :Hey: , please take time introduce yourself and take your views on k series tuning.

8. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Aye but this is an accord forum with K24's buddy, the long gearing and high actuation means you will drop out of VTEC between gearchanges. K20 EP3/DC5/FD2/FN2 all have shorter gearing and lower VTEC actuation so its easy to keep it in the VTEC window

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oz did you get this remap, I heard you have started a new job\ career?

best of luck in your new venture.:Thumbup: