Off-Topic The Ashes.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Sunday 14th Jul, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For all those cricket lovers and supporters what a first test match it was so close.. If the rest of the four test matches are so evenly balanced we are looking for a superb summer of cricket!

Well done England it was a good match! :Happy:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The Aussies had some bad luck at crucial moments of the match but still a close game. Looking forward to the next one.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes, it was a great match to watch, very tense.

Sort of knew that Australia wouldn't be the walk over that some of the press were predicting. I thought it was played in a good spirit too, even with the various issues at crucial moments.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A lot of controversial DRS moments but I think England used them wisely and aussie chose wrongly.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So proud to be English today, England outplayed outclassed Australia in every department another victory with a day to spare !

Old Trafford for a series victory and hope we rub in a 5 whitewash for all the years of pain under Nasser's captaincy.

Animated-Flag-England.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think after the last couple of days I may need to retract my previous statement!

Watching Australia during this match just like watching England in the late 1990's. Some good players, but not a team, and always likely to have a devastating batting collapse!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lets hope for a 5 nil whitewash that will shut the Aussies well and proper !!

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

We can also update some of the gags that they used to tell about us...

"What do you call an Australian holding a bottle of champagne? The waiter..."

"The ICC are investigating irregular betting patterns at the Lords Test. Somebody apparently put £50 on Australia to win...!"

"What do you call an Australian cricketer with 100 against his name? A bowler."

9. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure I'm a fan of the DRS. I'd rather go back to the days when the on field umpire's decision is final. Yes, there is always room for human error, but the umpires always managed to even things out in the end.
    England did great, Australia were appalling. Broad's controversial not walking at Trent Bridge, took the shine off the game for me.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm a fan of any technology that makes decisions more accurate - the issue with DRS so far this series has been that it hasn't been used consistently. The Agar dismissal yesterday left me baffled!

I suppose the potential will be that in future all decisions may as well be made by the off field umpire, which would be a shame, but likely that is where we'll end up...

11. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A quote from the telegraph today from Geoffrey Boycott..."England are just lucky Australia have been so bad".

I couldn't agree more with you Geoffrey.
    Get rid of the DRS until such times as it's almost infallible and educate players and officials to use it properly. How daft is it that "hot spot" can give an indication the ball has hit and make the player definitely out and not give an indication and still can give the player out???
    England were lucky the weather helped them retain the Ashes yesterday, I would like to see them play out of their skins in the remaining tests to cement their entitlement to trophy.

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Will be interesting to see how both teams react to this last test.

I'm hoping that it was all about winning the toss, and that England would have put Australia under similar pressure if they had batted first.

Certainly not sure that we have anything to celebrate yet - at least one more good win required.

Think the Winter series in Australia will be very tough...

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Gold medal for the person who selected Manchester as the third test, it always rains in Manchester!

But in saying that England overall played poorly to be saved by the rain, but retaining the ashes was more important . Come on chaps now win the series.