ICE & HFT The Audio System handy tips for the Honda Legend KB1

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Ichiban, Monday 16th Jul, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This thread will be a handy for all our legend owners and highlight some feature they may not be aware of.

The audio unit is equipped with Centrepoint technology. This is made by Bose and converts the standard 2 channel stereo output from a CD and converts it into 5 channel surround sound output digitally, but although the audio unit will play MP3 and WMA discs.The Centrepoint system will only play these in standard 2 channel stereo format and will not allow the Centrepoint function to be activated.

So if you wonder why your MP3 sound quality is poor you now are aware of it :Wink:

How to test Active Noise Control system on your Legend?

The audio unit on the KB1 also controls the Audio Pilot Active Noise Control system, which reduces cabin noise levels electronically. The system uses 2 internal microphones to pick up and analyse cabin noise.The system then sends out via the audio unit the opposite sound the 2 separate sounds then cancel each other out and reduce cabin noise (this system will reduce most types of cabin noise but will not eliminate all noises).

To test this system you need to firstly switch the ignition on and have the audio unit off,

Hold down preset buttons 1 and 6, together, and then switch on the radio, then release the preset buttons, press button 1 again (to display the ANC function menu) and turn the ANC to off, you should hear a hum from the speakers.

Repeat this with the engine running and you won‟t hear the hum.. this step confirms the system is operating correctly.

PeteMM likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I wish the eight gen Accord had centrepoint, but the unit is not a Bose.

3. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You are quite right, CDs sound fantastic, MP3s not so much, but still very listenable.

Thanks for the testing routine on the ANC.
    I thought the ANC system was a bit of a gimmick - an electronic system attempting to hide the fact that they hadn't installed the proper amount of sound insulation. I've never sensed it working, but I will try your method and test it. I also don't seem to be getting much effect from whatever they call the speed sensitive volume adjustment, even though I have it set to max. I notice that in the mid-model change that we didn't get in the UK, they upgraded all this with additional insulation, improved acoustic isolation windshield design, and a new implementation of the ANC. Whereas the former ANC was set to cancel out only low frequency boominess from the engine and exhaust, the MMC system, called Active Sound Control, was expanded in its range to cancel some higher frequency road and tyre noise as well. Unlike its predecessor ANC, Active Sound Control was now linked to throttle position and engine RPM to provide a quieter cockpit during normal cruising, yet allowed more of the new 3.7L engine's "muscular sound" to be heard during higher-RPM, higher-speed excursions.(Thanks Acurazine for info).

4. herald Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

harry Australia
    this is wicked thanks.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Few days ago my driver side front door speaker started to make buzzing/ brrrr noise, no effect if the ANC is on or off, diagnostics won't effect at all.
    Sound appears from idle to 1500rpm and above that dissapears, it also seems that it is RPM related.
    Bad speaker or alternator? Any tips?
    ANC is called Audio Pilot in Finnish language menu:Blink:

7. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Captain East Sussex
    Weird! My Legend started doing exactly the same about 3 weeks ago. It's usually just after starting up, but mostly fixes itself within the first 5 miles. In my case, it's the passenger side front door speaker. It is most likely to do it from a cold start, but not always. Not really a big problem, but I'm clueless how to fix it. I've tried switching off Audio Pilot and centrepoint, all to no avail. At least it's not just me!!

Maintenanceman likes this.
  8. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
  9. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Popped into my local Honda dealer today to ask about the buzzing speaker issue. There was much shoulder shrugging, and they admitted they don't have a clue as to what might be the cause. My buzzing stops if I open the door for a second, then comes back about 10 seconds after closing it again!!! Sometimes it goes away completely, or is hardly noticeable. I'm not too bothered but it would be nice to find the cause. Having read the Acurazine site, it's not that uncommon. I may try to email Honda and see if they have any clues. Otherwise, the car is fantastic and I'm off to Italy next month for a 3000 mile trip to celebrate my 60th. Of course, I'll do a full report on my return on fuel consumption and other matters, maybe some nice photos of the Legend in the Alps. Can't wait!

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Almost seems like something isn't earthing right. Maybe a break in the wiring loom going through to the door ?? :Unknown:

Racy Jace likes this.
  11. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Tested little bit more, that annoying brrrrp brrrrp sound comes also when engine is not running. Maybe bad speaker, might update both of them at some point.

12. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it must be a duff speaker. I guess a new one will be £50,000. Have to check the breakers! My buzzing is slowly getting worse.

13. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Just got a reply for my spare part inquiry, 169€ from the stealer behind the marble desk, two days delivery time thou.

14. dandoon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @Maintenanceman - looks like a used front door speaker on eBay £35 or best offer - item number: 371661291168

legend-ary likes this.
  15. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    Just in case anyone is wondering, you can install a unit to the rear of the Legends headunit called GromAudio. It allows your phone to automatically pair and start playing music. Your can retain the steering wheel and headunit controls to skip music.

It's not listed on UK GromAudio website but order the Acura RL one and it works perfect.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  16. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Oh bummer, missed that, stupid me.

17. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got fed up with crackly speaker. Bit the bullet today and ordered a new one from Honda. £116 ffs! Not available until September!!!! It's just that the music system is so good, I just had to do it.
    Still, I guess if low cost was a priority, I'd be driving a Kia Picanto (sic). Every minute in my Legend is a moment well spent.

legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  18. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Got just mine problem sorted out, replaced the speaker and it was gone:excited:

captain trumpy likes this.
  19. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Excellent news. Honda rang me today to say that my new speaker is in stock. Hope to get it fitted shortly. Despite my age, I am partial to a bit of Trance music, and the Bose system really belts it out. Otherwise, Classic FM is my favourite radio station. My best band ever has to be Ozric Tentacles. An eclectic mix, but it all sounds great in my Legend.
    I wonder what musical preferences others enjoy in their Honda?

20. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Soon they will release a GROM add on unit for DAB Radio and later a standalone video unit :Smile: