Detailing The Auto Glym Headlamp Restore Kit - Review and Results

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by nauest, Thursday 29th Sep, 2016.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Guys!

Just wanted to post the results of using the new Auto Glym headlamp restoration kit. I bought it as my lenses were looking a little shabby, although not nearly as bad as some but I like it to look good! I find that faded lenses really age a car.

The kit comes with a full selection of grinding and polishing attachments for a drill. 3 x 800, 1500 polishing paper, 2x 3000 polishing foam and a buffer to use with the Auto Glym headlamp polishing compound. Comes with a nice microfibre cloth too. It all seems good quality stuff and stood up well. Only complaint is the foam on the drill attachment is a little exposed and can catch on the bodywork.

I found that by using plenty of water throughout the sanding and polishing process (much more than manual suggested and with the sanding papers that are usually done dry) you can keep the pads clean and functional. The whole set is completely reusuable in this case. I reckon I could do 6 or 8 headlamps with this one kit!

The process takes a good hour of patient careful work to get the best results. I found I had to redo a few areas to get rid of some of the deeper swirl marks from the first stage.

Using extra water does make a bit of a mess though, I would recommend covering everything! Nothing a bit of warm water and elbow grease couldn't fix though.

Not sure how it compares to the competition but I have found the final results to be outstanding. You need some patience and some good prep but I Highly recommend this kit! If you use extra water too, you will e able to use it again and again. this makes it great value in my opinion.

Here is the before and result:

DSC_0941.JPG DSC_0942.JPG

Last edited: Thursday 29th Sep, 2016
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good work ! They've come up nicely :Thumbup:

Does the kit come with a sealer ?

4. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    No sealer included, but I don't think it is necessary.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The fading is usually caused as the sealer has gone and its causing the plastic lights to discolour. I would definitely get some sealer and put it on otherwise it will fade again

If the headlight was still sealed then it wouldn't have faded in the first place.

They cleaned up nicely though

6. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok that makes sense, I will look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

7. Nighthawk Guest

I lacquered the ep2 lights but I see alot of people recommend the Gtechniq C4 as sealant.

@RogerH69 did his a short time ago with some sealant. Perhaps he can say what he used

nauest likes this.
  8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Sorry for not replying quicker - only saw this now. The sealant I used is mentioned in my guide somewhere. I'll see if I can find it
    - - - Updated - - -

Here it is

Now for the record....

I have recently done the same headlight again, as I suspect that either I did not put enough sealant on / let it dry properly, or the sealant is not good enough.

The sealant got some good reviews on Amazon, so I expect I probably didn't apply properly.

Great result on your headlight by the way. Looks new

I'm going to do the headlights on my Prelude sometime, using the 3M kit I used on the Civic (twice). @nick-b used the leftover of my 3M kit on his uncle's Accors which worked really well. He also used it a bit on his BMW, which worked a little, but he didn't sand it - he just used the polishing pad with some polishing cream of some sort.

Last edited: Sunday 2nd Oct, 2016
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @nick-b has a BMW ? :bigeyed: .. and you're still friends ? :crazyeyes:

Nighthawk and RogerH69 like this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

Dealt with one on fire the other day :BavarianTractor:

legend-ary likes this.
  11. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Did my partners Astra with just progressive wet and dry then a final spray with clear lacquer OK so far a year on. Yours however look brilliant/new by comparison. May just have a go at mine.