General The bargain basement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by excel monkey, Tuesday 17th Feb, 2015.

1. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    A question for the "wheeler dealers" out there amongst you. I will be in the market for a cheap (<£2000) second car soon. Will only do low mileage and will not be relied on as a daily driver, so am looking at old (but interesting) coupes - 4th Generation Preludes, 7th Generation Celicas, that kind of thing.

Where is the best place to look for cars like this? I always keep an eye on eBay (there are some good cars on there, among all the dross), as well as Autotrader, although that doesn't really cover "old" stuff (anything over 10 years old).

Where else do I look?
    Owners club websites - there are a LOT of them!
    Car and Classic - a lot of optimistically priced cars on there.

Any other suggestions?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Yeah, I like Pistonheads. Their "shed of the week" feature is great - they have dug out some really interesting cars for under £1000 (including at least one Accord Type-R in recent years). What I want to know is - where are the best places to find those sheds?

4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Keep an eye on Gumtree too.

I like the bargain basement end of the market - amazed at what you can get for not much money sometimes.

excel monkey likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I think all the main sites have been pretty much covered.

Prelude would be my choice, it's got everything, for under 2k the Celica will be the bug eyed 4th Generation, which are not the most sportiest of coupes apart from the high end models like GT4, and the sleeker 5th Generation, you will only get tatty examples. Saying that Preludes have become quite hard to come by nowadays.

6. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    So do I, but it can be depressing when you're just swiping through an endless stream of crap photos, poorly written ads, and tatty neglected cars.

Think you need a bit of a masochistic streak to keep ploughing through the rubbish until you find a good car, especially when you have been spoiled by recently shopping at a higher price level!

I'm not expecting perfection at this price but I know there are decent cars out there.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Agree that you've got the main internet ones covered, but don't forget to look at the free local newspapers. My local still has a couple of pages of car ads, and you never know...an older driver, not so keen on the online world may just advertise a peach that most people will miss. I live in hope, anyway :Smile:

I've looked at some rubbish over the last year or so - quite frustrating. Even when I've spent time on the phone with the vendor grilling them prior to travel, some of their opinions (and honesty) have been variable to say the least.

I saw a car last year which was "totally original." This was confirmed on a call. When I got there, it was anything but...but you need to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince(ss) I guess.

8. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    This is the holy grail - the low mileage and regularly serviced car, owned by an old guy since new. These cars are out there, but the best ones often get snapped up by savvy traders who comb the classified ads looking for good cars to resell. I'm in no rush, so plenty of time to carry on rummaging through ebay and gumtree...

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Word of mouth normally works as well, so put the feelers out.

I had a call on Monday about a car and even though I wasn't interested in it you never know who might be that you know.

I know of a pretty clean late ATR that had just changed hands for £300 as it happens.

Ichiban likes this.
  10. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    I quite like the convertible model in that generation, although I doubt many people share that view!

You're telling me. Hard to find any 4th Generation Prelude these days, let alone an unmodified one.

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I wonder what happened to all of them, 2 years ago there was plenty around, on AT there used to be at least 20, now there is like 3 on average. I hope I haven't missed the boat with these.

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    That looks in great condition, must be an elderly owner type example, if it was me though I would want the 2.2 in manual guise.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nick oxford
  16. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Thanks for the links. Appreciate you doing the legwork!

I like the 4th Generation 2.2, but is it wrong to dismiss a car simply because it's in Birmingham and has dodgy looking tinted windows?

17. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nick oxford
    gen 4's are getting rare especially 2.2 manuals, so i wouldn't dismiss it totally.

Window tints can be removed, and not all brummies are dodgy lol