Off-Topic The best PC to run windows

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by RobB, Thursday 25th Apr, 2013.

1. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The best PC to run windows on is:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/24/apples-macbook-pro-named-best-performing-windows-laptop-by-it-solutions-company

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If you're running a portable machine, Macbook's are really great to run Windows.

Wouldn't dream of running a Mac as my main office rig though. They simple don't get spec'd high enough, no customisation and the damn glossy coat on their IPS screens drives me insane.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Put a external monitor to the macbook its simple & hassle free.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

...followed by an external keyboard and mouse, kinda defeats the objective of being a portable machine :Whistle:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not really wireless keyboard and mouse connect vga and power when you leaving disconnect power and vga in your bad and your off.. have a look at Thunderbolt Docking Station for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air ? Matrox DS1

I call that flexible working :Wink: .On my IBM laptops I have a docking station the battery is disconnected when its docked and is inserted only if I am using it in portable mode... easy

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Oh I'm well aware of the options mate, but my Macbook can't power my 2560x1600 30" monitor (plus the two side 1200x1600) then run all the development apps I use without missing a beat. I use a mechanical keyboard too so wireless isn't an option. It can't hold 12TB of data internally, it can't power my studio monitors properly, and so on.

10x better working on my dedicated rig than any kind of contraption made out of my Macbook.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    30" Screens :Aghast:you have issues ..LOL just joking! you can use apple TV to bridge the gap to display to that large screens! :Whistle:

You can't argue with dedicated rigs , I on the other hand run lean and go into heavy mode when required.

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Wife texts husband on a cold winter's morning:

"Windows frozen."

Husband texts back:

"Pour some luke warm water over it."

Wife texts back:

"Computer completely buggered now."
    :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Mate, in my line of work you need colour accuracy and as much screen real estate as possible. Apple TV won't help me with a 1600p display :Unknown:

All my machines are lean, but the highest spec Macbook hasn't got enough juice for me. I run a £4000 rig lmao. Hell, it gets more TLC than my Accord.

Next step for me (when I've got the time) is to go full Linux and run my dedicated Windows apps through virtualisation.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can we see some pics of your setup mate ?

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm not at home at the moment, only shot on my Dropbox is of the monitor set-up. I'll follow up with more of my rig itself once I'm back home:

ZmHWMIU.

Also found a shot of my attempt at a cable management system if it bares any relevance (phone pic, more recent):

z0f6jzq.

Need to update part of it but my rig list can be found here.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nice set up way OTT for my needs but nice to have.

cable management is shocking :Rolf: ideally you don't want to be coiling up power cables just use some cable socks with Velcro keeps heat away.

View attachment 8946