Off-Topic The Best Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robbie, Friday 10th May, 2013.

1. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I only possess a bog standard mobile phone and I'm beginning to think I need a smartphone. I don't want to pay a small fortune so anything over £400 is out. The two I'm interested in are the Samsung Galaxy S lll and the Google Nexus 4. Asda Direct are selling the Galaxy for £319, whilst the Google Shop has the Nexus 4 16gb for £279. Which one would anyone go for, or is there a better model for around the same price?

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought Samsung Galaxy S III few weeks ago and love it.
    Really nice phone with massive screen and easy to use.
    Had HTC before that and can say prefer Samsung .
    Can't comment on Nexus as I never had or used one.

3. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Once you've had a nexus phone you won't go back to a normal branded android phone.I'd never go back to a galaxy s3 etc unless I could root it and get rid of touchwiz and the customisations.
    I'm now on my 4th nexus phone,the nexus 4.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A mate of mine at work knows I am a apple nut and we both have to have our daily digs and insults at each other. It's more like our hellos in the morning even in our conversations and email correspondence we can't stop having a pop at each other .. It all banter thou . Anyway android fan boy got his new S4 today and it good but too big too plasticky.

View attachment 9343 View attachment 9344 View attachment 9345

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The big three at the moment as far as Android is concerned are: Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One and Nexus 4. You then also have the Sony Xperia Z and the LG Optimus G which don't quite get as much coverage but are both top tier phones.

The S4 is feature packed, but the construction is cheap and nasty. The HTC One is constructed beautifully, beautifully skinned but there has been some QC problems on the early batches. The Nexus 4 has nearly all the features of the S4/One at under half the price and AOSP Android. The Xperia Z is really nice, again pricey and Sony's Android skin leaves a little to be desired. The Optimus G is the Nexus 4's big brother with a few upgrades but not worth the price tag IMO.

My mother is in the same boat at the moment. I'm personally pushing her to get the Nexus 4, by far the best bang for buck in my eyes. If I was looking to upgrade at the moment I'd be going for the HTC One or Xperia Z.

6. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I don't want to pay more than about £400 - ideally, less than £350 - and the S4 costs over £500. I want a sim free 'phone. Looking at the reviews the S4 is excellent, but not worth £200 extra. I'm drawn towards the S3, but there are good reviews of the Nexus 4. I'm in a quandary. The battery on the Nexus 4 can't be changed, which is the only drawback. I'm not happy with sealed for life components such as batteries.

7. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    You can change the battery but like the i-poos you have to take the back off etc. It is a new type of battery though that's supposed to last twice as many charge ctcles .

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I wouldn't look at changeable batteries being such a big thing, it should last the life of the device. The compartment may be sealed but the battery can always be replaced by a techie if needed.

If you're also looking at older generations, the HTC One X is a fantastic piece of kit. I've owned mine for about a year now. The S3 is a capable phone and it'd be a safe bet either way.

You will still however get best value for money from the Nexus 4, and being a Nexus device you can rest assured it will receive new Android updates whereas the HTC/Samsung may or may not.

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    The Nexus 4 seems to be the one. Anywhere cheaper than the Google Shop at £279?

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

If you're after the 16GB, you're unlikely to find a much a cheaper source than direct from Google. I recently had my Nexus 10 tablet screw up and they handled the refund amicably.

The 8GB version is £239 if you want to save a few pennies.

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

iPhone is king, and if it isn't at least I don't get some rogue app that hasn't been vetted stealing all my data/money.

Ichiban likes this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Common sense stops one from downloading an app that'll misuse your data, you also have to approve app permissions before installing :Whistle:

iPhone has been a recycled device for many years now, though I am interested to see what iOS7 brings.

13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I have an S2 had it for 2 years now and had apple prior to that. Will be changing it in next few weeks and going iphone 4s have no desire to get the 5 as have 3 friends who have all had issues with it.
    Recently and no idea how had someone in India hack my email via my phone no idea how that happened but it did. Sorted but just pleased it was not my main email account as could have been costly..

No more android for me.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What issues on iPhone 5 smartphones are fragile then don't like being chucked around .:Whistle:

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Both Samsung / Apple went 'low cost' on their latest devices, the S4 and iP5 use a lot less rigid materials than their predecessors. Shame that saving wasn't past onto the consumers lol.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Makes sense, to be honest I think everyone should buy a case with their smartphone regardless of which it is. Less scuffs and scratches, the higher the resale value.

Ichiban likes this.
  18. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No prob with my IPhone 5, had it since day of release.
    Certainly isn't a recycled device, much faster and clearer than my old 4.

Another reason not to have a android phone.

http://www.themobileindian.com/news/11809_Malicious-Android-apps-can-steal-credit-card-data

Last edited: Saturday 11th May, 2013
  19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It might be a bit faster, sure, it got a processor bump. No new features or innovation went into the device aside from changing the aspect ratio.

Again, you'd have to give the app permission to be installed in the first place in order for that to happen. If you've got a bit of wit about you, you'd stick to legit apps. Apple have let a fair few 'rouge' apps into their ecosystem as well in the past.

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I just got the Samsung Note 2 on Thursday and enjoying it so far. It is pretty big which makes viewing much better but it's the stylus which is excellent! Waiting for my silicone case as it is a little Slippy without. 4g is awesome and very fast.