General The Dashcam Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Saturday 28th Sep, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Thought I'd post a couple of videos showing potential claims that could go against me. Nothing exciting unfortunately and excuse the quality, Vimeo is saying I've uploaded my HD quota for the month or something. Grrrrr.

Video 1

Just arriving and I see this car, I wasn't 100% sure but as his front wheels were turned I figured he'd been coming towards me and did a u-turn to drive off in my direction. Then his reverse lights come on! lol I've disabled audio for obvious reasons but I pipped my horn and he stopped (you can see his brake lights coming on). Had he reversed into me then he could claim I drove into the back of him.

In retrospect it would have been safer for me to stop on the main road and wait to see what he was doing first but with cars behind me and he wasn't moving I chose to turn.

[video=vimeo;75613558]http://vimeo.com/75613558[/video]

Video 2 (reduced to SD quality by Vimeo)

[video=vimeo;75613559]http://vimeo.com/75613559[/video]

Heading down straight road and I move out onto the opposite side to pass some parked cars. I see a car at a junction (not indicating) and just know they aren't going to look into the road they are turning into and give way accordingly - audio disabled lol. I slow down anyway and out they come. Do you notice the token indicator suddenly flicked on after they realise there's a car coming straight at them (I hate that!)

Anyway, had there been a crash they could have claimed they were on the main road all along and I was the one who came across the lanes into them to get past the parked cars.

Pretty minor stuff but enough to make me glad I've got this thing rolling! lol

Enjoy
    Graham

intruder and Doc like this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can't see video Graham.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Should be ok, I'm seeing them fine and are just standard Vimeo types. Do you want links?

4. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I can see the vids, couldn't earlier though.
    Definitely worth having aren't they, I had a close call myself the other day, some eejit pulling into my lane without checking his mirrors :Rant:

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It's not just the thieves looking for a cash for crash you have to worry about these days. As you mentioned some idiot gets it wrong and causes an accident then suddenly they're claiming they're driving like a saint and it's coming off your policy.

It's things like you've caught on video which is why I feel safer now I've got my camera.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Maybe a stupid question but have to ask.
    Can videos be used in evidence to support your case and does it help with insurance quote/price at all?

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Yes they can be used to support your case they can even be submitted in court if need be.

Some insurance companies only have a list of 'preferred' cameras they will give discounts on while others will just accept that you have one. Other insurance companies won't give any discount. It's still a fairly new thing for them to consider when calculating insurance premiums. It's not something they usually advertise they give a discount on, or ask if you have, but if you ask if they will give a discount more and more of them are offering approx 10% discount on premium for having it.

I think as their popularity rises then the insurance companies will catch on a lot quicker and the discounts will become more wide spread.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers Doc
    Good to know, will definitely get this done soon.

9. macsandpcs Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Glenn suffolk
    Just a quick question, which cameras are you guys using? I have tried a few from ebay, and the reliability has not been good.

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited: Friday 29th Nov, 2013
  11. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
  12. macsandpcs Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Glenn suffolk
    Looks like the Blackvue is a popular choice, I better get looking, thanks for the reply's

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  14. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Thought I'd stick a couple of my dash cam vids up, First some tool not knowing what a right of way sign is

Then my view on the way home

Honda VTR SP2 :Wub::Wub::Wub::Wub:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
    NottsBiker and Ichiban like this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Phil I have just embedded your youtube clips :Wink:

The VTR SP2 is such a special special bike that words are hard to describe the awesomeness that is a VTR! I wish I had a limitless pit of money just buy all these Honda gems.

Phil you have just set off the aww bug in me

Phil1978 likes this.
  16. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Cheers for that CJ,

I've been in love with the VTR since the Edwards v Foggy Superbike days, one day it will be mine!

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes the mad Texan in Castrol colour gave the desmo dukes a run but the desmo with tractor like traction just annihilated everything on bends top end then was nothing then as we demand now.

Then foggy was MR balls of steel, Evel Knievel, mad man, no fear, British bulldog, etc ..you could not win even if you had the same duke. It was foggy that made the duke.

Its the same with Casey he was the only one to master the MotoGp desmo, it take a special person to ride the crazy Italian machines.

18. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Another one from today, this happens so often I just hold back on the exit and don't even bother beeping.

19. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Random cyclist from earlier, not really sure what he was up to.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That was weird, cyclist just stopping for no reason.