General The Day From Hell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moob, Wednesday 23rd Jul, 2014.

1. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I set off about 10.45 to take my little lads on a wee break. Car all loaded up, taking it easy down the M8. 30 mins into our journey, noise from front end and judder on braking. Stopped on the hard shoulder and noted front O/S disc is red hot. Drive 6 miles to a kwikfit who quoted me unsurprised for new pads discs and flexi house caliper for 450.

Told them I'd shop around.

Wife drove her Jazz to switch over. She takes Civic to my garage.

Drive Jazz for 1 minute and the exhaust system falls off.

£200 later I'm on the ferry. Parts are 67 quid retail and they charge me 200!

Nightmare.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ouch, feel for you bud. Tomorrow's another day..

moob likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Oh man, it does sound like you've had a bad one. So what was the verdict on the disc, that the caliper was sticking? Where did the hose come into it? New pads and discs is advisable if there's now uneven wear, but you can get that overhaul done on the front braking system for less than £200.

The Jazz I'm kinda gobsmacked at, is there bad rusting on the undercarriage? What year is she?

moob likes this.
  4. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Cheers gentlemen.

I'm confident that I can get the Civic fixed for about £150. They claimed the hose was deteriorated due to age and in turn was negating the fluid return.

I'm pissed at the price for the exhaust, as the parts were 70 quid

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well a single hose costs next to nothing at least. If the caliper itself is sound, you can do the hose, discs and pads for less than £100 dependant on labour cost. It's sounds like the exhaust was more a case of needing to pay that price to get the job done fast.

moob likes this.
  6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Shop around matey there's plenty of stuff out there at a lot less cost than OEM

7. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    It needed a new caliper and flexi hose. All done for £150

MickyB and DeviateDefiant like this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Good to hear man :Smile: Performing properly again?

9. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Think so. The wife has the car atm, I'm away in Dunoon with the kids and I've got her Jazz.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well either way, good to hear it's all sorted out... and your Jazz isn't going to lose another exhaust :Laughing:

moob likes this.
  11. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Cheers dude

12. Chrispike Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I heard that Hondas don't break!
    I think someone may have been lying to me!

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They're damn reliable in general though not if they haven't been maintained, I think @moob has been quite unlucky with his 7th Generation Civic. My '03 Accord was a war zone when I first got it, though I was actually very lucky with that - it had no oil in the sump and still ran.

As for Jazz, I've got no excuses, it's been named the UK's most reliable car more than once!

14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    unfortunatly both the caliper and exhaust problems are becoming a common occurance on the cars you have. its more the age than anything else but there are ways to ensure you don't get caught out with a sudden failure. as in the exhaust, corrosion dosent happen over night. Jazz exhaust commonly corrodes and fails either on the weld to the centrebox or same to the backbox. with Civic calipers its normaly corrosion related and is water ingress inside the piston. this is either due to dammage to the piston seal/boot or the moisture content in the brake fluid itself. its worse in cars that havnt done many miles and sit standing for lenghts of time. your certainly unlucky to have both your cars fail as they have.

MickyB and moob like this.
  15. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Aye, it was unfortunate to say the least!

Funny you should mention those particular failures - the Jazz pipe was badly corroded either side of the centre box and that is where it snapped.

The Civic hasn't been looked after for the past 6 years so I've been trying to give her some TLC, again I think you are right in your diagnosis in that once the siezed caliper was removed, the flexi hose was collapsed internally and was replaced and the garage said they spent ages bleeding the system.

Still, brand new caliper and flexi hose fitted for £150 wasn't bad.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    At the end of the day, all things mechanical will at some point fail, some people are of the opinion that as they are driving a Honda, they don't have to do anything and that their Honda will go on for ever. You still have to stick to a good maintenance routine and ensure you look after the car, if you do that the car will look after you.

I'm on my 7th Honda, spanning 10 years and over 500,000 miles, I've yet to have anything really go wrong. Then again I do 6000 mile services.

Sometimes when you buy a used car, you have no idea how well it has been kept, so may initially find that there jobs that you need to bring your new ride upto the standard that she deserves to be at.

Ichiban likes this.
  17. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Very well put.

This is my 4th honda, bought as an 800 quid runabout, so wasn't expecting great things. It's not been maintained at all, but calipers fail, and if there's one thing I'd be critical of with Honda, it's their brakes.

18. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Some treat Land Rovers in the same fashion SppedyGee :eek:

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Things happen in threes they say, feel for you moob...