Daily Driver The Difficult Child

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by Calum Duncan, Tuesday 3rd Feb, 2015

1. Calum Duncan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Calum Northumberland
    Calum Duncan added a new Honda to the garage:

The Difficult child

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @Calum Duncan, pop by the introduction section and say a few words :Smile:

Out of curiosity, what's led you to the conclusion that there's an issue with the throttle plate?

3. Calum Duncan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had it in the garage last week to get the car checked. All the fault codes were cleared and he cleaned the throttle plate which made a big difference for a few days then it went back to stuttering. My first guess was that the fuel filter would need replaced but it was done in the servicing over the summer. Its been happening for a few months now and if i change up a gear while accelerating it usually goes away. Only seems to happen when accelerating which makes overtaking a bit irritating.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That sounds like classic symptoms of a clogged EGR valve to me, there's guides on the site if you fancy tackling it yourself :Smile:

Calum Duncan likes this.
  5. Calum Duncan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll have a look. Thanks!

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

For your tracking, have adjustable rear camber arms put on, have her tracked properly and get reinforced (XL) tyres on your next change, the 7th Generation likes strong sidewalls and the stock camber arms have limited adjust-ability (and eventually wear to the point where they can't be put back in spec).

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Calum Duncan, I removed the EGR unit on my 2004 CN1 last year. It's a pretty straight forward job. It is advisable to get a new set of gaskets, just in case. It's not unusual for the unit to be restricted by soot deposits, or even worse, oily soot deposits.

You may find this a useful starting point.

EGR Valve Removal & Clean N22A1

Let us know how you get on.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  8. Calum Duncan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds good. That engine looks identical to mine so it must be the N22A1. Didn't know that before. :Grin:

9. Calum Duncan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆