Off-Topic The don't Make Them Like They Used To

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by legend-ary, Saturday 27th Feb, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Fascinating article 'My fridge is 60 years old' – the appliances that just go on and on | Money | The Guardian

I completely agree that appliances these days are designed to be thrown away as soon as something happens.

We were given a Kenwood Mixer/Blender in 2014 and this December there was a smell of burning and it stopped working. Search online reveals its a common problem and Kenwood doesn't want to hear about it. New ones are available for £25 and replacement motor can be bought for £22. It feels so wrong having to throw away the entire appliance just because the motor broke. Some of the attachments we haven't even used and the jug etc are in such a good condition that I haven't gotten rid of it. In good old days atleast a local repairer would have been able to fix it but these days its all going in the bin and into a landfill.

Back home my parents bought a Kelvinator fridge in 1981 and it lasted until 2009 which is when the freezer door broke because of our mistake. We replaced it with a Singer fridge which rotted away within 3 years and had to be replaced.

All this talk of eco-friendly rating blah blah blah.. if the appliance lasts longer, that is less waste of resources to begin with.

*rant over*
    exec, Zebster and FirstHonda like this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Totally agree @legend-ary

I had a Bosch dishwasher. After about 4 years of light use, it stopped working. The engineer knew what the problem was, and it needed a new part - but the actual part it needed wasn't available separately, only as part of a bigger assembly including a pump.

After fitting, it was going to cost £200 to repair - so like most people, I just bought a new one.

I've read it elsewhere that the biggest environmental impacts are in manufacture, so actually keeping older (less efficient) appliances - and cars for that matter - going for longer is at least as 'friendly' to the environment if not better.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Bosch is the worst I swear, everyone who has one I know, appliances break after a year, German engineering eh?

Most new products are built with a use life, unlike the 'good old' days where durability was engineered in, nowadays most company's practice whats called 'Planned Obsolescence', basically a product is built to last a certain amount of time, because company's realise if they make something that will last 15 years then it = less sales, less profit. You can see it many industry, including cars too, they are built to last their PCP deal time, 3 years and then bang you get big bills, German cars are key example yet again.

BTW something you need to be careful with blenders is that use them in sort bursts, alot of people leave them on for like a minute or two, thats why the motors burn out.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Reading that article we had 'New World' cooker too, it lasted over 20 years of heavy use, was still working when we got rid, and that was only because mum wanted extra features.

We also had a Tefal kettle that lasted over a decade, nowadays we replace one every 1-2 years.
    legend-ary likes this.