Bulletins & Advisories The DPF system malfunction warning lamp is illuminated.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Service News, Thursday 27th Mar, 2014.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    A few owners on HK have faced ongoig and bizzare issues with DPF which has baffled Honda as well us to why this has happenning ..well finailly we have the proper LONG term fix Honda was working towards.

Honda have issued a Techinical Service Bulletin Number SO-03-001-00 dated 24-03-2014 for the all CR-V I-DTEC with the 2.2 engines made in 2013 and 2014.

The Symptoms
    1. The DPF system malfunction warning lamp is illuminated.
    2. The driver will also detect a reduction in engine power.
    3. There are no DTCs indicated when the car is scanned.

DPF MIL on i-MID.

The Cause
    An investigation established that there was no mechanical problem with the DPF and the concern was due to an ECM software calibration error which caused excessive PM (Particulate Matter) to accumulate in the DPF.

The Fix
    The ECM Particulate Matter (PM) data setting has been modified and optimised to stop excessive PM build up in the DPF.
    Honda (UK) is in the process of write to customers with affected vehicles to advise them of this update and ask them to book an appointment with a dealer to have this work completed at the ealiest.

The dealer will update the engine ECM using HDS software version 3.012.033 January 2014 or later.If the DPF is found with excessive DP then it will be force regenerated befofe the update. Cars under warranty will have this fix applied free of cost.

If the car only needs an update the dealer will take 30 minutes to update to the latest code , if a regeneration is reuired you can add another 40 minutes.

2. Lone Star Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone had this revised code applied yet?

I had my car in for the front disc service recall today, and the dealer attempted to carry out the software update at the same time, without success. They are unsure why the update failed, will investigate further and contact me again when they have a solution.

Just wondered what other owners' experiences had been!

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Never had a DPF issue on mine, but suspect this patch will be added to mine when I go for my first service in a few weeks time. I wonder if the said dealer failed to follow Honda prescribed update methods - not heard of an update failing before. Seems very weird that....hopefully they'll figure it out and apply to your car.

Welcome too, to HK - please do put up some pics of your CR-V.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Did they check the battery voltage on your car prior to upload and if they were not using the latest HDS code he update will fail on both occasion. The code is tested and confirmed so there is no chance of incompatibility . If the dealer still has issues they need to contact DTS and they will resolve it, its shame they have left you in the lurch without taking the initiative to speak to Honda.. poor show by the dealer.

BTW welcome to HK :Hey:

5. Lone Star Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks to both for the welcome.

I haven't had a DPF problem either, the dealer was just taking the opportunity to apply the update while the car was in to have the front discs checked. So, really, I've not been left in the lurch because the car is still running perfectly well and I'm no worse off than I was when I took it in.

I have no idea of the update process the dealer followed, but it suspect that I may be the first to undergo the procedure at this particular dealer. There was a suggestion that there may have been a fault with either the media on which the update was supplied, or the equipment used to install it. Presumably this is what they will now investigate.

I've been using the same dealer for around 20 years, and they are usually spot on. Perhaps, though, I'll wait until they've had a few successful attempts at this update with other customers before I make a further appointment. :Smile:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I hope they do fella.. you do have gremlins with the MVCI but nothing there to suggest these updates are flaky. The DVD rom with the updates are loaded into the MVCI these updates normally work straight out of the box.

Keep us posted how it goes.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. Lone Star Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, but I'm currently in Hampshire for a few days holiday (as my avatar might suggest, I'm Scottish), and my Honda dealer knows not to contact me until next week.

I'll get back with an update when I'm home.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cool is the CR-V with you on holiday.

10. Lone Star Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is indeed, and running like a dream. After about 7,000 miles I realised it drives noticeably better than when it was new, and I'm really enjoying it.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd agree with that - as the CR-V adds miles, it does indeed seem a heck of a lot better drive. Strange phenomenon, but a good one. The Accord wasnt like this....

12. Lone Star Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just picked my car up from the dealer, and the software update was applied this afternoon without any difficulty.

I have no real information on the nature of the original problem, but I was assured that the cause lay with the dealers equipment, not my car. I guess it was either a procedural issue or their equipment needed some sort of update, as suggested above.

Whatever the reason, the fix has now been applied and the car covered over 1,000 miles at motorway speeds last week, including a 450-mile single day run, so I'm hoping the DPF is in A1 shape now!

Ichiban likes this.
  13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good to hear!

My first service is a few weeks away, so will be eager to see what difference it makes.

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got my letter today about this - obviously will be updated at first service soon.

Never had any issue with it to be honest.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had the new patch added at the weekend from HH when I went and had my first service. The car seems a little bit more "responsive" in the lower gears and pulls very strongly now, even with the ECON button activated.

I'll know by the end of the week how much difference its made on fuel by the weekend. So far, its looking VERY good.

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TDK 20 days to get a letter out with bank hols and weekends is about average. The day it was announced it was posted so Honda are on the ball and glad your car is responding better.

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be honest, the car was running sweet anyway.

This update has definitely improved things. Happy bunny syndrome!