Body, Paint & Styling The dreaded footwell rust

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by exec, Friday 23rd Sep, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So during my pre-MOT inspection on Wednesday, I took a little more look into the rust hole on the wheel arch and it has gone right through into the interior as the foam sound deading is exposed now, so its pretty bad, I will need to take the wheel arch liner off to see the extent of how much rust has eaten away the metal. I also noticed there was rust on the wing arch itself, so bad news and pretty annoying.

Fortunately the car sailed through the MOT again, but I did noticed my rear ARB is really rusty too, i'm surprised its still effective!

I will look into getting the rust repaired, i'm also looking into DIY painting the car in chalkboard black or white in near future. :Grin: The car is a gonner cosmetically and I won't throw money at it, so it's time to mess about and experiment on it.

Some pics of the rust and will update any repairs here so others can benefit should they get the same on their car.

WP_20160921_18_45_08_Pro. WP_20160921_18_45_19_Pro.

2. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@exec, your not allowed to paint it in chalkboard paint, or I will have to come and remove the car from your presence. Rust and all. Your car does look really good in the pics. and I bet its not as bad as you say it is. I mean seriously I've had to do lots more welding underneath than you have at all.

Fiskekutteren and exec like this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Most of the paintwork is in good condition for the age, but the paintjob I had done last year by the shoddy cowboy outfit, the paint has peeled off from the bumper, lacquer is peeling in some others, the bonnet has picked up chips and paints trip from bird shit and now that wing with the rust and dents. I'm not gonna throw more money on the bodywork as its pointless so might aswell paint in chalkboard, very little skill needed for that, its cheap and the finish comes out good, it looks like a matte black colour too and if you get any scratches etc you simply just paint over again. I do love the colour of mine now it glistens when clean and in the sun, but all the bodywork issues annoy me.

Here's an example:

FWQPOW3HZ9O5Z7B.LARGE.

4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not a fan of the look. Can you not find a second hand wing and bumper in good condition and replace them. easier than getting them repainted. I also love the colour of yours as well, and it would ruin the look my painting it like that, its too clean. You could also consider vinyl wrapping it?

exec likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    True good point with finding another wing etc, thats an option depending on prices, but it'll be hard finding it in the right colour and they won't necessarily blend in with the rest, might look into it though if the clutch saga is resolved. Vinyl wrapping would be expensive, both for the materials and if I got a pro to do it, because I wouldn't be able to do a good job meself.

Harvey likes this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was lucky with my boot spoiler, the colours matched really well and you would never know it came off a different car all together. I recon a used wing that's in good condition would be about £20 and a used bumper with spare fogs? maybe £30 to £50

exec likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The bumper is the rear one, but the front isn't exactly in the best of conditions either. :no:

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah, well the rear bumper would be easier to find than a front one, I would have thought, as more cars have front enders than rear enders that send them to the scrap yard. Though now our cars are getting older, its corrosion that sends them to an early grave. Trust me though that there are far newer cars than ours going to an early grave to rust.

I was in the scrappy the other day, an 03 plate Mazda was in there and I wandered why. The rear arches looked abit gacky and I though, nah, its not that bad, kicked the sill on the bottom near the rear and it fell off! O.O there was nothing left of it!

exec likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I would say as a fellow Londoner I would say stop looking at the outside and just deal with keeping the interior tops. At least that's what I decided with my Jazz. It can never be how it used to be and with all the dents and scratches it's picking up in car parks there is absolutely no point fretting over them.

There is nothing you can do. Rather than spend more money on exterior trying to give it alternative look just get the rust sorted and keep it.

exec, SpeedyGee and Harvey like this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Those Mazda's rust like nobodies business. On balance the Accord is really good for corrosion, of course it depends on the individual car and how its been looked after, apart from the footwell rust which is a result of a design flaw, I have been lucky with mine, my underside (chassis) is near spotless. The rust on the wing is small and looks to be from some kind of damage that I've never noticed where the paint has come off.

Yep your right Legendary, I just like keeping it looking nice, otherwise it'll end up looking like a tired old banger, but if I can't keep it looking nice might aswell experiment with it and try a few DIY stuff on the cheap :drill:.

11. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    Rust, the plague we all hate. I understand when you prefer a cheap DIY on the exterior instead of putting more money in the car. And chalkboard black isn't that bad... Google showed me some unique and artistic cars!
    0447ac6bc5c08f0c6b871d982793f714.

exec likes this.
  12. Fiskekutteren Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark Roskilde
    Harvey likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    That looks cool, I've seen quite a few ones with really nice artwork done to them. They probably look best with the "rat look".

Thanks dude, great find :Niceone: will give them a buzz for prices.

jazzway and Fiskekutteren like this.
  14. Fiskekutteren Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark Roskilde
    No problem mate :Wink:. Your car is not ready to retire, maybe when it has been running for a million miles :mosh:

exec, Harvey and jazzway like this.
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    These words of encouragement may just motivate me to keep the old girl running for a little while longer :Yahoo:, plus I don't really want to drive around in a 7 seat automatic Kia MPV, I've not given up on life yet. :Laughing:

I got a rough quote for the rust work from the place I got the clutch done as they are a big bodywork garage, they quoted starting from £200 minimum, they have to look at the full extent of the rust. I'm thinking I might just get it patched up with a colleague at work who has a welding machine, it'll probably end up as a frankenstein of a repair, but a fix will be a fix.

jazzway, Harvey and Fiskekutteren like this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

200 seems quite steep, but then really to do the repair properly the carpets need to be removed and probably the dash needs to come out as well.

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It is a lot and he said starting from too, so it could be well more than that, although this garage does seem to be expensive on the whole than others. But I was researching the bulkhead, footwell rust issue and it doesn't look like a straightforward job, looks like lots of interior bits will have to be removed as you mentionrf, aswell as the wing etc to get proper access to weld safely, not sure I can do this myself, might just leave it as it is as its probably not worth the time and money.

18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You could always fibreglass the holes even as a temporary repair to stop ingress of water. It's this water that will make the carpets wet and then finally the engine ECU causing a no start issue when wet and alot of condensation on the windscreen that's hard to shift when it rains.

exec likes this.
  19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Good point, I can touch the foam underlay thing from outside! I get a lot of condensation in the winter, I guess this was the main cause of it. I've been trying to think of ways to patch it without welding, seeing as though how new car manufacturing hevaily involved using adhesive to join panels rather than weld, this could potentially work here, albeit without access to the proper adhesive stuff, but I'm just patching up so perhaps these retail adhesives might work, perhaps even sticking a thin sheet of aluminium over the area through adhesive, then going over with anti rust paint, then put some seam round the aluminium patch might suffice.

Harvey likes this.
  20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sika flex or tiger seal would do the job. If the car passed it's MOT with the rust then I guess it's not structural in their eyes. But as you say modern construction techniques use chemical bonding rather than welding. Jaguar do this with the new f type. You might get away with this for a while, just make sure you clean all of the old underseal off first to give it a fighting chance at sticking.

exec likes this.