Partner's Car The family funbus

1st Generation (2004-2011) vehicle added by jivetalkin, Monday 24th Aug, 2015

1. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Sheffield
    jivetalkin added a new Honda to the garage:

The family funbus

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well. I have done a few bits, and discovered some not so good things about the FR-V.
    It appears I bought the car cheap not just because of bodywork, as the underside is missing the engine tray and the crankcase has been gummed up with some engineers paste (a bit like blu-tack) which is covering up an oil leak, oh dear. The lower ball joint is shot on the offside, and the ABS sensor bolt has been snapped off obviously by someone attempting to remove in a previous life. I have ordered new drop links and a full set of pads and discs, of which I fitted quite easily tonight (front only). The ball joint looks a horrible job, but after looking at a Civic 'how to' guide on You tube, I have a rough idea of what to expect. As the ABS sensor bolt is sheared in to the hub, I have picked up a used hub for just £30 from Ebay, so will push the new ball joint into this and go from there.
    Bought a nice rear view camera with clip on mirror, to aid parking, and fitted an AutoDAB kit, instead of removing the head unit, which gives me hands free and DAB and slots neatly into the space between the heated seat switch, and gear lever., pics to follow!
    Did an oil and filter service and thank goodness I did, as the air filter is heavily sooted up with what looks like oil/diesel, which is slightly worrying!! I have used Petronas 5w-40 Synthetic 3000 which was on offer at Euro CP for £19.98 for 4 litres so two of those was cheaper than going for an alternative oil. Gone for a Bosch filter, which seems good and will sort the air filter and pollen filter out this week. The alleged service history is beginning to look a bit fictional, but I did call the garage who put the 12 stamps in, and they seemed a genuine lot. The car runs great, but there is a bearing whine from what I believe to be the PAS pump, or as there is no noticable chill in the aircon, it could be the dreaded Air Compressor failure, especially as this does not seem to engage when the ac is on.

3. Leepolam Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jivetalkin,

Did you manage to fix the issue of the bearing whine noise, I have this on my FR-V as well, air con does work but not very cold and it seems colder on low air blowing than high air blowing.

Po.

4. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did. The noise turned out to be the very worn rear brake pads and the wear indicator singing to me. The caliper dust cover for the caliper cylinder was broken so was causing the brake to stick. I have ordered a refurb kit off ebay which I will do when I know the caliper bleed nipple is not seized. In the meantime, changed the anti roll bar drop links to stop the banging, but more bangs are occurring leading me to believe its the ARB bushes as well, not to mention both lower ball joints. Joy!!

5. Leepolam Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your quick reply, guess its lucky that it was the brakes and not the compressor or the electro-magnetic clutch for the A/C.

Mine is still making that noise but only when I throttle, so now I'm thinking my problem might be the electro-magnetic clutch as this is a common problem.

6. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I'm guessing my AC compressor is knackered as I have no air con and had the system re-gassed and checked for leaks. I see Eurocar parts do an exchange for £346, but conveniently they have no stock. I will call them once I have confirmed the diagnosis of the air con. I've not got clutch issues thankfully though....

7. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK s it's been a while, sorry. Thought I would advise on rear suspension seeing as though I've done a fair bit recently the FR-V has done 160,000 miles now, so some big bills expected :Frown:

The FR-V was riding a bit low on the springs on the rear offside, on inspection there was no rear anti roll bar fitted I assume as the owner previously didn't want to pay for new ARB bushes and link rods. So thanks to eBay, a rear bar was sourced for just £20, and ARB bushes for £6.00 each, unfortunately I had to also buy new brackets and bolts to fit it, so £23 to the local Honda dealer!! New rear links were £42 for the pair and in just 45 minutes new ARB bar fitted.

So, did it cure anything.... No... although slightly less roll at the back.

So, a couple of months and a few quid in the pocket later, new rear springs were found for just £52 a pair (Supplex) and had a bash myself. So all prepared jacked up the rear and attacked the rear lower bolts. I think I told myself in 1996 not to buy a car that came from the Scottish coast again following a very corroded underside of a Fiat Uno Turbo. I forgot this piece of self advice and ended up with an FR-V from Dundee, so in other words the bolts were seized. As I couldn't get decent purchase on the bolts, I gave up and my local garage had a go with a ramp, breaker bar and a 8ft scaffold pole. Good news, the bolts came loose, bad news so did the shock bushes. So do I pay £38 each for a shock bush, or £122 for a pair of shocks (KYB), I bought the shocks, and as a belt and braces approach, spent £16 (Don't you love Honda!!) for 2 new lower bolts, another bonus is the top mounts were in very good condition. £50 to the nice man at the garage and now we have a superbly different and correctly levelled FR-V!! I cannot actually believe ho much less bounce and body roll there is now at the rear, so all in all £337 for a fairly complete rear overhaul.

I am going to try to add more bits as I go. I;m a busy man, but so far have tackled the items below all DIY:
    Front lower suspension knuckle joints (see thread)
    Front and rear pads, discs and handbrake shoes.
    Fitted Number plate mounted reverse camera, (nice)
    Upgraded serpentine belt to remove idler bearing and re-route shorter belt (2.2CDTi modification) Separate thread.

legend-ary, SpeedyGee and Zebster like this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Always the case John, what starts off as a small job, quickly escalates and a whole host more parts are needed.

The job is done now though and you have pretty much a complete new rear suspension.

Good to hear you managed to attack a fair amount jobs all by yourself. Always satisfying to do the jobs yourselves not forgetting the financial savings of course :Smile:

BTW I'm going to move your post above into your cars Project Log. Any updates and work on you car should go in here :Thumbup:

9. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Please do Speedy Gee, I always struggle with where to post stuff and how to post it. :Wink:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Done, this page here is your cars Project Log. So feel free to post anything to do with your car here. What you done, what you're going to do, what problems you maybe having, how you resolved them, if you need any help/advice etc etc :Smile:

11. accord2001 New Member Getting Started

hi all i am a newbie here. this is my 2nd Honda. superb reliability. starts everytime. cudn't be happier
    - - - Updated - - -
    i bought my FR-V 1.5yrs ago, i noticed a squealing noise from the aux belt particularly when A/C is on, A/C is still working cold air coming out and having done some reasearch i am suspecting its the electromagnetic compressor clutch is the problem, however i am having problem finding the right parts from ebay. can the expert here give me a hint please :Smile: