Off-Topic The general election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Skooshbag, Friday 27th Mar, 2015.

1. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    Obviously we have all heard the news, there is a General election coming up in May. I'm not asking people what they are going to vote as thats your business (if you volunteer that info then fair enough), I'm just wondering what people are making of the whole debate.

I for one am quite excited, on facebook and twitter I make no secret that I support and intend to vote for the SNP. this is the first time in a long time there is a real possibility of Westminster getting shaken up.

whats everyone elses take on whats been said so far?

If this topic is against the rules i apologise, I'm just looking for sensible debate, not flaming or xenophobia

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I am also quite excited by the coming election - I actually posted a topic a few months ago...:Smile: I've taken the 9th May as a day holiday so I can stay up and watch it all unfold. Is that a bit sad...LOL?!?!

Off-Topic - General Election prediction thread

I thought the interviews with Dave and Ed were quite entertaining yesterday...and Ed did ok apart from the "hell, yeah" comment which was, frankly, ridiculous.

I'm still predicting a small (0-10 seats) majority for the Conservatives, but the SNP impact will be fascinating to see. I can see the SNP pretty much wiping Labour out in Scotland...

Fascinating stuff - and now not just me, which makes me feel much better :Grin:

Skooshbag likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The election is on 7th May, so you may want to change your day off to Friday 8th?

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

LOL, and I don't work weekends either :lol:

Ooops...

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    :Laughing:

7. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    mmmmm some one prod me eh
    ok for many years I've watch the two main parties making promises thevre never kept and bringing in policies that we never voted them in for, they have slowly dismantling this country selling off our assets and handing our powers over to europe to me world war three with out the blood shed ,in fact weve just rolled over and let the rest of the world trample over us
    are there no true british people left that have got the balls to stand up for there country or have we become the silent minority?? the only party that appears to want to save our borders is ukip they may turn this country upside down but its time we were shaken back to reality
    i know im a grumpy old dinosaur and i would happily go back to the stoneage time but there you would find me club in hand guarding my cave ready to batter the fcuk out of anyone trying to nick what is mine
    so if you enjoy the flim flam and spin of these twisters expect more of the same
    remember they are only interested in feathering their own nests

UG

8. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    IMO the trouble with politicians today is they are so far removed from their electorate they don't live in the real world. Last year Esther McVey stated foodbanks were a good thing, we were all living within our means. Shortly after that IDS stated that people can live off £7 a day, all while putting a £30 lunch on expenses (I have to make £30 feed my family of 5 3 meals a day for most of a week) and both Iain and Esther refused to see any link between the current hard sanction regime and foodbank use. Sorry, these fools wouldn't know the price of a pint of milk in the corner shop.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Well, that debate last night WAS fun :Smile:

Surely that "performance" is the end for Farage? Isn't it?

I'm not convinced that Nicola Sturgeon has done Ed Miliband any favours either, but it was another assured performance from her.

Pity my vote means nothing - as my constituency is that of John Bercow, The Speaker - so there is no Conservative, Labour or Lib Dem candidate standing.

My options are to vote for "Mr. Speaker", UKIP or the Green Party.

On reflection, I might vote Green!

:Bye:

Zebster likes this.
  10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I could never support Sturgeon politically, but it was great that someone has, at last, told Farage to stop blaming EVERYTHING on immigration! Even he looked embarrassed...

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

We don't need Scotland to go independent, what we need is a federal system so that each of the current nations of the UK can control their own destiny and better reflect the needs and wants of their populations.

By the way, I wouldn't necessarily see either England or Scotland as "one region" under a federal system. England would naturally split into five IMHO (London & SE; South West; Midlands; North-West; North-East).

Each should then have their own regional assembly, within the EU, with tax raising powers. The only reason to retain a national Parliament would be for national issues - health, defence etc.

At least I can dream...:Smile:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So what are your predictions for this elections?

I can't stands Labour they have wrecked the country and if they came back I will be looking in leaving the country , however the others are not great either so who will sleep with whom to get into power?

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I was going for a small Conservative majority, but now I'm thinking it will be either:

- A minority Labour Government, with support issue by issue from the SNP. IMHO that will be a disaster for Labour (politically) and could see them out of power in England for a generation. Shame :Laughing:

- A continuation of the current Coalition Government, between Conservative and Lib Dem.

It will be close between those two options - a few MPs from the Greens, UKIP, DUP, SF or PC(TPOW) could make the difference either way.

I don't think it's looking good either way.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    UKIP has lost the momentum and now they will be sidelined I can see only the pensioners voting for them harking for a UK for a bygone era.

15. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    im not quite an oap yet but i am an old dinosaur but im all up for a bygone era at least we had some industries,our own laws and culture and comunity spirit i don't have an oap bus pass but i,ll certainly buy a ticket for a ride on the UKIP bus in the hope it will take me on a trip down memory lane to the time when the GREAT in britain actually meant anything
    wake up people and smell the coffee

MickyB likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But its not going to happen is it you can smell the coffee but there will be no one going to commit political suicide to reverse what already taken place.

17. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    this country is a sinking ship but i will be the last standing on the deck flying our flag taking with me memories of when this country was truly great

so you would take the lifeboat ,along with the rich the remaining industries instead of standing up and fighting for what is truly right ?? yes ukip would ,could really damage this country but it is the only way to put it truly right its called retreat , regroup and start again

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Despite their weird leader and a chancellor (Balls) that I very much dislike, I still see Labour as the 'least bad' option.

I wish there was a party I could be more positive about!

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate I can see where you coming from but the majority of people are tolerant to migration,same sex marriage , colour of skin these were all taboo's people perceptions have changed and you cannot challenged these today without being called all the names under the sun,

What UKIP propose or others who come after UKIP cannot change this acceptance the game plan has changed you will be outcast in a second, no wonder he being battered in his debates as it not socially acceptable.