Off-Topic the good old days

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by candobill, Monday 28th Oct, 2013.

1. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

when I started driving it was a lot more simple to get a problem with a car sorted :Thumbup: if I heard something rattle I would go into my local scrappie and tell him e.g I need an engine for my viva 1100. then pick it up in my boot take, it home and switch it over on Sunday when I wasn't working. :Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Don't think you'll find many scrappies now where they'll actually let you wonder round and clamber all over the cars.

That use to be fun !

- - - Updated - - -

Also in those days, you could probably stand in the engine bay next to the engine. These days there's barely space to put your hand in anywhere.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

True
    Years ago I needed some bits for my Fiat Tipo and bloke just let me to go and get it myself.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Working on the 1st Generation Accord is a breeze there are no digital car sensors.. its all analog and old school. setting the points and carbs is magical and get your brain in overdrive.

mechanicals is easy and everything can be done with a basic toolkit. Modern car you have to dismantle and remove hell of alot of gubbins to get to the heart of the issue.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I remember going with my older brother to find some bits for his (very "tired" 1971 "K" registered?) Morris Marina in the early 1980s - it really was fantastic fun looking at all the cars and trying to find the one with the right parts. Happy days, kids today don't know what they are missing!

6. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Oh I miss those days I loved spending time wandering found salvage yards picking up bargains

Not so these days

7. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I used to do all my own servicing until about 1980. I still have a Wanner grease gun that I bought when I was a teenager, and an angle/dwell meter together with a Sparktune.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I love using the angle and dwell meter its so simple but looks so complicated the guys born in the 1990's get baffled every time they see one.

what one of these..:What: where is the OBD port :telloff:if you had multiple carb balancing them and checking for vacuum leaks wow now thats a challenge all that lost with PGM-FI.

I have to admit PGM-FI is better

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Who had a timing stobe light as part of their toolkit ?

I use to have a very decent one but I have no idea what happened to it :Unknown: May have got left behind in my house move a couple of years back

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I do when I am timing my first gen! borrow it when you want it.

11. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Forgot about that. I used to have a strobe for setting the timing. Often lost the piece of chalk that I needed to mark the pulley.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    did anyone use the TDC dial gauge on multiple cylinder 2 stroke bikes with CB points.

love that gauge made timing a breeze.

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    pencil,tipex,old paint.. anything you could get hold of really.

Crude but it did the job.