Off-Topic The ideal 6 CD auto changer selection...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Monday 5th Aug, 2013.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Since I got my Accord I have been changing the selection in my CD auto changer frequently, looking for the ideal mix of good driving music and going down my own personal memory lane...

...and it started me thinking about my "ideal" selection - both because of what an album means to me in terms of its place in "my" history, but also because the album is something that (in my experience) the younger generation just don't seem to appreciate, largely preferring a selection of tracks from a variety of artists. They just don't know what they are missing, a well constructed album is a thing of beauty...

So limited to just 6 (I have over 1000 CD albums and no downloaded music AT ALL!!!) I've gone for:

Dexys Midnight Runners - Too Rye Ay - the album tracks flow together beautifully, and it is great fun to drive to. Pure 80's pop.
    The The - Infected - My university years. Very worthy with serious political comment, and thought provoking lyrics. Or so I thought. Right on!
    Kirsty MacColl - Kite - Another album where the track listing just works. A great talent, sadly missed.
    Billy Bragg - Back to Basics - An acquired taste I'll admit, but I'm a big fan. An excellent live performer too, if you like that sort of thing...
    Elvis Costello - Mighty Like a Rose - Perhaps not the most obvious of his works, and a difficult choice, but a personal favourite of mine because of exactly WHEN it came along.
    REM - Green - very close between this and "Out of Time" I couldn't have a personal ideal selection without something from Messrs Stipe, Berry, Buck and Mills.

So, just 6...and for me some notable omissions - no space for Morrissey or The Smiths, or Lloyd Cole or Paul Weller or Turin Brakes or Level 42 (!!) or so many others.

Have a go yourselves - I found it quite an interesting and theraputic exercise. :Wave:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Currently in my car
    CD1 80's greatest hits
    CD2 Counting Crows
    CD3 Smashing Pumpkins
    CD4 Hootie and the blowfish
    CD5 Collective Soul

over 2000 on the ipod

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Currently in my car (top 6 actually, no autochanger), probably very different to above by the looks of it
    1 - Common - Be
    2 - Akon - Freedom
    3 - Bone Thugs - Strength & Loyalty
    4 - Michael Jackson - Greatest Hits
    5 - DJ Khaled - Kiss The Ring
    6 - Eminem - Curtain Call

5k+ on my phone

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    5000 song on your phone... mate you have issues..

Just joking :Wink:

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Haha I have a bad habit of getting the whole album when I only like 1 or 2 songs which has accumulated over the past 10 years :Whistle:

Oh and I've got a 64gb card on my phone which streams everything to the stereo so it's hard not to keep everything on it

6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    God knows how many albums I have, every few months I have a clear out and give them away to people I know will like them. Currently on the playlist:

1. Roxy Music - Country Life
    2. Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
    3. Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue
    4. Roxy Music - Siren
    5. Queen - Killer Queen
    6. Paul Simon - Graceland

Ichiban likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^That's a cracker of an album, must dig it out for next time I update the selection in the car...:Smile:

8. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    :Friends:

The real gem in that list is Dennis Wilson, one of my all time favourites.