Off-Topic The joys of football

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Malibu, Monday 27th May, 2013.

1. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Having been brought up living & breathing football & of course supporting the best team Sheffield Utd- my saturdays were always about football - I have been trying to enlighten my daughter on the beauty of the game & how good it is seeing a live game in comparison to on TV- clearly I am using the wrong approach as when I asked her if she would like to start going - her answer was 'well it's ok if I can sit down as my legs would ache if not , but then I don't think I will as it will be noisy men shouting ' - to make matters worse - she then said that as she was born in Leeds she should support leeds not sheffield - over my dead body she will ...Humph !
    perhaps I should just take the bull by the horns & go to a match or perhaps we move back to Sheffield !!!!

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The live experience always wins if it is your local team. I don't really get how kids today (how old do I sound?) can "support" a team based on watching on SKY Sports, with no connection to a team at all.

Being a lifelong Watford supporter, I've got used to some pretty amazing highs and a few lows (yesterday at Wembley being one of them). I was taken/dragged to my first game at a wet and cold Vicarage Road at the age of (about) 5 years in the old Division 4...and I've been going ever since. Get your daughter to Bramall Lane (which is a wonderful place to watch football, great atmosphere, especially as we usually seem to win there :Wink:), explain your play-off highs (and lows) to her, the Premier League years, the FA Cup semi-finals - convince her you will have a glorious season and win promotion...and get her hooked!!

On a separate (but related) note, having been to the new Wembley for the first time yesterday, I can't believe how terrible the facilities are considering it is so new and cost SOOOOO much. It looks great, but is poorly laid out with terrible refreshment/bars/toilets. Villa Park, Old Trafford, The Emirates all do it so much better...as does the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Right, I'm going back to being depressed after yesterday...which is all part of the genuine football experience :Angry:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The amount of swearing at football matches is sickening you can't take kids and then try to set a example. Cricket for the win for me kids will hate you as it soooo boring but hey it a place where you can get beer !! Try getting beer at a Football match..

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

In my experience you can get beer, if you want it, at most grounds including at Wembley yesterday. What you can't do is take it to your seat and watch the game, although you can at the rugby union. We also need to bear in mind that some of the behaviour at one day cricket, especially the TwentyTwenty is pretty marginal to say the very least...

Perhaps it is because Watford have been a (the original) "family" club for many years, but I haven't ever seen or heard bad behaviour from our fans. We accept that there are always children around and act accordingly - and to be fair my experience travelling to lots of away games all over the country is the same - including both Sheffield clubs.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I took my 12 year old boy to watch West Bromwich handful times now and it wasn't too bad regarding swearing.
    Enjoyed it every time.
    Bad luck for Watford yesterday to concede in extra time.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Watford had that game in control IMHO where did it go wrong.

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try staying awake at a cricket match you don't need alcohol you need strong caffeine.:Wink:

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Palace played a very effective plan against us, and deserved to win - Holloway is an experienced and very savvy manager. We need space and time to play the sort of football that we do this season, and Palace made sure that we had neither. It was actually a bit like watching previous Watford teams (before we had such talent available to us!)...

...and I may have to admit that there were a couple of expletives (approx 34,000) when the penalty was awarded...:Sobbing:

Ah well, there's always next year, and the crushing disappointment is part of being a fan of a team like Watford!

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Helen
    Your Girl obviously knows something about football if she wants to support Leeds after all if you want to educate her on the game its no good going to Bramble Lane:Wink:
    As they don't play attractive football !!!!!! Now Leeds United thats what you call a football team just watch what Brian McDermott will do next season.:Hooray:

10. salopian adas Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

if she wants to support leeds let her support leeds, somebody has to support them!!.after all ,that,s what rivalry is all about, it,s good to see she has a mind of her own. I have always been a Tottenham admirer, but shrewsbury town at heart as its my local club (may see you at bramall lane again ). my lad on the other hand is also a town fan but loves villa too so we have a lot of rivallr/banter

11. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What nonsense is this ? Lol- I'll give you bramble lane !!!

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh am I going to feel the wrath of Helened Road:Grin:
    To be honest a good Rugby Union match is a truly great adventure non of the thuggery you get at football and great atmospheres...

Malibu likes this.
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Chunkylover53 likes this.