The other car thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by legend-ary, Thursday 11th Aug, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Is it a Yaris?

exec and Ichiban like this.
  2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No, it's a 2003 MR2 Roadster. To be fair, it's done 100k miles less than the Accord!

Does the Yaris have a bad reputation?

exec likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Yaris is like a cockroach!
    A friend stopped using his at 192,000 miles and gifted it to someone else. Mine was still going strong at 150,000 miles before I changed to Jazz and another friend of mine is dragging his one at 120,000 so all in all pretty epic record for such a cheap car. All they ask is that you provide them with new droplinks with each oil change :Grin:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I Love the MR2! The one you got is awesome.. no storage whatsoever! Just man and machine!

exec and Zebster like this.
  4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I went with my cousin to buy a 2015 Auris estate a couple of weeks ago. It seemed a very well put together car and has an equivalent spec to my uncles (his dad) 2015 Civic tourer that he bought a month before for £4K more. Great value for money considering it also has the remainder of the 5 year warranty.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    My heart has always been with Toyotas. Had loads myself and rebuilt two that had been written off and they both started first time after a year of sitting up. The one had a slipped cambelt. Realigned it and off it went. No damage. Mechanically they are bullet proof. Always have been. Pity their interior quality has dropped.

exec likes this.
  6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I got a lift home from one of my staff in his brand new Clio RS, I couldn't believe how hard the ride was, infact my spine is still sore.

MickyB and Harvey like this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The interior quality of the latest Yaris is a match for the latest Jazz IMHO. Nice car...and hybrid available.

Nighthawk and exec like this.
  8. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Toyota have never been able to make a nice look dash, they always look cheap

Zebster likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

My avensis which was an 02 plate had a lovely dash. Very tactile. Better than my accord

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The current Yaris hybris is a brilliant car, I wouldn't mind one! Dash is nice too.

11. Nighthawk Guest

The dash of the lexus 450h was just outstanding. Really soft double stitched plush leather but it is the luxury division of toyota so not really a fair comparison

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My Father's 1978 Cressida Estate had a great dash, padded vinyl with a fake wooden steering wheel (and three horn buttons) recessed dials, a wooden gear selector and a built in cassette player.

Just awesome...

Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

No my Dad's Viva dash was the best, quality!
    Vauxhall_Viva_1304_dash.

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They don't make um like they used to

exec likes this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

...thankfully!

:lol:

MickyB, Harvey and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well peugeot still do, my sisters 207 looks all right, but it's cheap and very plasticy

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Shame they have no clue how to make engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

that's where you are somewhat wrong CJ, Peugeot have made some very good engines. the TU series petrol engines where fantastic little units and quite economical too, not very powerful mind and fairly bullet proof as was the TUD9 DIESEL engines and the Turbo Diesel as well, but I am talking late 80's and early to mid 90's for the Diesel and up until about 2010 for the TU petrol engines. The only real thing that lets modern Peugeot down is that their cars where boring to drive and suffered with electrical faults. Though the 205 GTi and the orginary cooking models handled really well for their time period.

jimjams and Nighthawk like this.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  20. Nighthawk Guest

The newer Toyotas have lost the plot in the last 10 - 15 years, I have said this many times and thats what turned me off recent Toyotas. The 80s and 90s ones however were over engineered, when Toyota still did everything in house, were fantastic in their time. Their performance models from that era would still give a newer car of today a good run for their money. Despite how a person may feel about Toyota - any car enthusiast has to respect the mechanics which allow a 20 year old car to kick a newer car back to oblivion.

It would be nice for Toyota to get back to where they used to be, but I don't think that will ever happen again - pity.

exec, jimjams and Harvey like this.