Detailing The products that time forgot...

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 24th Aug, 2014.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I gave the Accord a quick (3 hour) clean this morning, and decided to try a couple of products that have been sitting on my shelf for years, untouched, unloved, and forgotten. I guess a lot of us have products like this, discarded as we move onto something newer and "better."

My mission over the next few months is going to be to use some of these again, to see which deserve to keep their place on the shelf, and which deserve to find a new place - in landfill :Grin:

First, Meguiars NXT Tech wax - which is about ten years old, and hasn't been used for 6 or 7 years - think I last used it on my 2005 Renault Scenic. First surprise, the product was still fine and useable. Second surprise, I'd forgotten how nice it smells... :Smile:

Quick and easy to use, the result is pretty good - if a touch superficial - by which I mean it has given a good shine but with little depth, and virtually no sign of any flake in my metallic silver paintwork. All in all, a nice surprise, and a product which a) stays and b) deserves to be used again (and finally used up).

Second, Turtle Wax "Extreme" wax for wheels. This one must be 15 years old, and hasn't been used for (probably) 13 years!! It has given an acceptable finish on my Sigma alloys, and (as with the Megs Tech wax) was very quick and easy to apply/remove. It too doesn't seem to have suffered from lack of use, sitting on a shelf in my garage...

The test with this one with be longevity and protection, so I'll use it again over the next few washes and see how it gets on.

I'd say it's worth trying out this sort of product before buying (yet more) new ones - the worst that can happen is it will remind you why you stopped using it in the first place, and prompt you to finally get rid!! :lol:

Ichiban likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I too, am trying to use up older stocks, as I am guilty of buying before I need to. :Nuts:
    A recent garage clear up highlighted this, so I am forcing myself to wait before buying.
    Think I'll have to wax the cars weekly for quite some time. That will make some room on the shelf for some new things. :Grin:

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good old meguirs tech wax haven't used that for years!

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It is actually beading very well with all this rain. I'm going to use it up on the Accord now, must be 8 - 10 treatments left in the bottle :Smile:

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I used to use it on my cav turbo it was metallic black and it worked well on it to be honest.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I need to do the same bud I have loads of products sat from yonks..just give me the push to do it and clear the clutter from my shelves

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is one product that although I use it frequently, there is loads left and now that I've tried something else doubt will be going back to it.

Turtle triple wax car shampoo.
    although it works great as a car wash before polishing and waxing, I've noticed it doesn't foam up all too well, it cleans the paintwork find mind you, and at the time I bought it £4.99 for a gallon on offer in Halfords it was great, but tried some Simoniz car wash and that seems loads better, foams up more too and I seem to be using less in a bucket for the same results.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

So, this morning I turned to another product which has been gathering dust on my shelf for (quite!) a few years...Meguiars "Quik Wax."

This claims to give a deep, carnuba, shine while removing light swirl marks - and to be quik (sorry, quick). The key here is that it can be applied without having to dry the car first.

It did a pretty good job, as it goes. Pros - shine not bad, and it got rid of the water marks where I didn't bother to dry the car (and where it was already drying naturally). The major "con" is that it isn't really that quick, as you need to apply, then wait for it to haze, then buff off - and it took a while to haze properly. Still, it probably saved me the 10 minutes I'd have spent with my drying cloth, so I'll give it a solid 5/10.

On another note, I used Turtle Wax "Extreme" wax for wheels when I cleaned it last time (3 weeks ago) and can report that it has lasted well, albeit not in very challenging conditions. The brake dust didn't stick at all, so I have used it again today. I won't need to buy any more wheel wax for a while, as this seems to do the job I need it to do. Hurrah! :Smile:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If the Turtle Wax "Extreme" keeps the brake dust off, that's what counts. :Grin:

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I have used a (Bilt-Hamber) quick detailer a couple of times since I used the Megs Quik Wax back in September, but I'm quite impressed that it has only now really stopped beading properly. It just goes to show...

...what I'll be doing this weekend, weather permitting :Smile: