General The right rivet size for the front undercarriage cover

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mustnap, Thursday 1st Oct, 2015.

1. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    Hi guys.

Does anyone know what is the right rivet size/dimensions for the front plastic undercarriage cover?

uVnDCXp.

I purchased the following rivet on Alibaba, but it didn't fit. It is too short and the leg diameter seemed to be too big for the hole on the car - it did fit the plastic hole, but not the hole on the car. The same rivet worked fine for the bumper plastic cover under the bonnet.

dnHFE2u.

So if anyone can share the right dimension for the rivet, that would be very helpful. If anyone knows any online retailers that sells the rivet for an acceptable price, let me know as well (especially retailers on Alibaba). Worst case scenario, i'll have to stop by Honda Service Center to buy around 4-5 rivets (my undercarriage cover is missing a lot of rivets) and the SC is selling each for around GBP1.20 (which i feel like a ripoff).

Thank you.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think this has been answered the forum already, let me try and find the answer.

Failing that @Ichiban will know.

mustnap likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    mustnap likes this.
  4. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh really? the one i bought on Alibaba has a diameter of 10mm (refer to the picture attached in my post above) as well BUT the length is short and it was hard to fit through the hole on the car. Maybe I should try using a hammer to push it..

(the Honda SC guy who inspected my undercarriage said the rivet is longer than the one i had - which was the one that I had bought on Alibaba - hence I thought the dimensions were different).

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Those ones I bought were a little shorter than the original ones, but no problem at all with them fitting.

Did you see my edit, they won't fit in the end holes because those need bolts.

6. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just realised you had edited it. Okay so the rivet will not attach the undercarriage cover to the body of the car then? And i need to use bolts if i want to do so?

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Some of the holes (4, from memory) are 10mm AF bolts, the rest are those plastic rivets.

The front panel in your picture uses a bolt at each end BUT the rivet shown partially out is a location where a rivet should be used. So I can only imagine that the panel is misaligned (or the rivets are wrongly dimensioned)?

8. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It could be misaligned AND/OR i had not tried to force it in harder. I will try to use a hammer next time. The thought of me using the wrong rivet came after my conversation with Honda SC in my area - as the technician said the actual rivet is longer than the one i had - hence I want to try finding the aftermarket rivet of the exact dimension if possible.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Just in case long ones are needed on that front panel, why not try removing one from under the wheel arch and trying it on the front panel? Then maybe the shorter one would fit under the wheel arch!

I didn't replace all of mine, I just replaced a few broken ones when I had to remove all those under-panels last year. So it's quite possible I didn't use any aftermarket plastic rivets in the area you are having a problem with. But worth moving them around to see if you can find a way to use the ones you have.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds