Autocar The School of Bodgerneering

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autocar, Wednesday 11th Dec, 2013.

1. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

Engineering is a dying art at school, and that means a new generation of people who won't be able to fix their carsDid a useful bit of 'Bodgerneering' at the weekend. It involved a bit of drilling, some bending in a vice and I got along okay by just using some bits and bobs that I found lying around in the garage. So all it took to keep my lawnmower alive for another season was some bolts and an old gate hinge.
    I’ve been told for the last 15 years that my mower should be dead by now. One major reason why it is still alive, though, is the Honda engine that I plumbed in some time ago. All the other parts can come and go; or they just need to be lashed up and fixed as and when.
    Although it was cold on the garage floor, I’ve never been happier searching through my big tub of random nuts and bolts. I know I moaned a few weeks ago about having an old car and how rubbish they are, but it's been fun messing around with some old machinery. I’ve done a few jobs, unbolted a few things, drilled some holes and generally mucked about and it’s been wonderful.
    So thinking about the parlous state of our education system, where we seem to be 25th in various world league tables, I don’t remember seeing in any of the latter where it was we stood in terms of wood or metalwork.
    Such subjects are important, because they're about making stuff; but apart from a bit of design and technology, which seems to mean just about anything these days, there are precious few hands-on subjects that are currently studied at school.
    Now engineering is often mentioned as being something that the UK is a bit terrible at compared to the rest of the world, but we do need to start somewhere. So I would like to suggest a bit of 'Bodgerneering'. It should start with trying to put up a shelf, but could move on to more complicated tasks.
    Obviously this sort of thing should start at home, but there is precious evidence that it is. I was lucky enough to have a dad who could actually rewire and replumb a house. So I was always surrounded by tools and actually knew what a rawlplug did.
    So who’s with me on this? The bodger was a very skilled member of the community and we need the ability to fix things, then perhaps we can move on again to actually make things once more.

P1110099.

More...

FR-V likes this.
  2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

like you I like to make things from all the bits and pieces I have kept in my garage, I recently made a barrow ( like a sack barrow style ) with some old scrap steel and an old gate. I used a couple of pneumatic tired wheels I had from an old go-kart. I have used it recently for moving 2x2 slabs a washing machine but it is now on loan to a pal he is mono-blocking his drive and there is a waiting list for it when he is finished. I made a set of heavy duty car ramps earlier this year and the same thing happened every body wants to use them. it is a satisfying feeling when you make it yourself and better when others benefit too.:Thumbup:

3. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Amen to that!! We seem to have a world of 20 and 30 somethings who are totally unable to do ANYTHING practical. They spend all day on i-things and then complain there is no time in their busy schedule to cut the grass/clean the car/check the tyres. One I know even had to take his pushbike to Halfords to get a puncture mended! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Rant:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I hate bodging with a passion , basically bodgers haven't got a clue and everything is in tunnel vision not to spend money.

5. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

so its better to throw away things that can be used then ? I think its called recycling :Happy:

Last edited: Friday 13th Dec, 2013
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No there is the right way of fixing thing then there is cheap skate version = bodging.. because the wallet as been sealed with super glue.

Why buy the right tap but show off your work like this :lol:

mixerV1.

7. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

if fixing an item by doing it yourself is wrong then b&q should be shut down :Happy:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ahh there is MASSIVE difference between fixing and bodging mate .. it HUGE.

9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think you mean botching a job not what we were discussing about making a good job of repair :Happy:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am just voicing my opinion.. :Smile:

11. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

me to mate that's what we are here for to give an opinion and hope it may help others too :Happy:

12. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I think there is some confusion here, I take the word "bodgerneering" to mean the art of creative engineering that many of us in the 60s and 70s had to learn so we could keep our wheels turning with little or no money. It is also very satisfying.
    Many of these creative solutions were necessary because of the complete lack of spares for my older bikes and cars.

"Bodgeing" should be a temporary measure in an emergency pending a proper repair ASAP. A bodge left as a permanent repair is just a crap repair.

Of course in these days of computer control in everything from toothbrushes up the opportunity for creative engineering is severely limited, and the average car repair consists of removing a complete component and fitting a new unit. If that dosn't work then try replacing another bit etc etc etc.....
    Now I am reletavely affluent my car goes straight to the professionals but less technical machinery such as push bikes, washing machines and my old motor bikes still get the "benefit" of my dubious skills.

Pete C.

PS. I LOVE the tap :GoodJob:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Yeah that how I use bodgeing too....temporary repair to get you going again and not exclusive to transport :Smile: A bodge left as a fix I loosely refer to as a cowboy job :Hey:

Bodgeing Might Work...or in German, Bayerische Motoren Werke :telloff:

Last edited: Saturday 14th Dec, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  14. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I am not a roofer to trade but last week 7 tiles came off my roof, I went to local builders merchants and bought 10 tiles £14.55 I replaced the missing tiles. I could have claimed my insurance and waited with a leaking roof then paid £200 excess. so what is the sensible way to go? bodge it or claim it :Search:

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is not a bodge is it? that's a repair. It would be a bodge if you had used anyting else other than roof tiles.

16. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

that's my point the tiles I got had one nail hole in the ridge part of the tile I had to drill another in the chamber part but was fine so did I do it permanent or just hope I did :Search:the tiles were not exact same

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry to be pedantic but not a mind reader, to see if they were the same title same era, same construction.