Off-Topic 'The Two Worlds of Charlie F'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nels, Wednesday 2nd Apr, 2014.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

2. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sometimes I wonder how many people my father killed.

How many souls he blasted from their bodies, shivering in cellars, helpless in hospital beds, crying in their classrooms. Few of the twisted dead beneath the rubble of Dresden wore a uniform, just the nurses and the schoolchildren, perhaps the old man who swept the avenues in the park and the chimney sweep cycling in his traditional black tail-coat and top hat. What had they done to make you open the bomb doors and release all that pain, Dad? Why did you do the unspeakable things you feared they would do to you? What did you become that night?

Were you told that they were evil, that they would take over your world and destroy all you held dear? How then, was it not evil to visit this same horror on them?

Why did you do it Dad? What were you thinking? And if you could be drawn into such evil, and take your part willingly in such carnage -- am I safe from such perversion? How careful do I need to be Dad? Should I hate you for being drawn into war, or find compassion somehow, thinking there but for fortune go I?

When the tumult was over, and you realised what you’d done, how did you feel then? Was that the reason for your decline into compulsive gambling, alcoholism and an early grave?

I never got the chance to ask.

Sunbeem.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

"When the tumult was over, and you realised what you’d done, how did you feel then? Was that the reason for your decline into compulsive gambling, alcoholism and an early grave?"

Have you seen the play?

I didn't post this to criticise or condone war.
    All wars are horrific.
    It was an eye opener to me, that helped me understand a little better, what mental scars all forces personnel and their families, friend or foe, may be me carrying with them.

Soldiers are brave.
    Heros risk their lives to save others.
    To recount to us, every day, the experiences that caused them so much pain, so that we may better understand is the mark of an exceptional human being.

I really do recommend every adult sees this.

4. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No I've not seen the play Nels, and I hope I've not derailed your subject. I certainly admire bravery, even my Father's when he incinerated people from a distance, and any attempt to support the casualties of war on either side must surely be admired.

I won't be watching it, my tears get nearer the surface, and more easily accessible the older I get, and I suspect I'm beyond rationality on this subject.
    That's my main point - which I hope is relevant to your theme - the children suffer from the sins of the fathers and the cycle is unbroken.

The theatre was an integral part of the hospitals of ancient Greece, they knew the benefit of drama as therapy, and this would appear, from what you write, to apply here too. I share many of your sentiments, albeit from a distance.

Respectfully,
    Sunbeem.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You've not de-railed it at all.
    The play shows how these guys deal with the memories/nightmares in a more positive way.
    That in turn has helped their loved ones.
    It just gave me a better understanding.

A friend, (retired senior police officer) had many gory cases to deal with. He found a different process.
    We are all different.
    I hope I have not cased you any pain.
    JD

6. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No pain Nels, and I welcome the exchange - you're so right about each of us finding our own way through the tricky bits.
    Without a belief in reincarnation I wouldn't have lasted long as a Samaritan -
    but that's another story.

Sunbeem.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Drinks: