1. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Rhys added a new Honda to the garage:

The Type-R

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

While I'm waiting for the welding to begin thought I'd do some cosmetic changes to the front grill as it was looking a little tatty. The H was sprayed red and I was happy with the chrome surround but after seeing it on another ATR in black I changed my mind ;-)

20140504_114727. 20140504_122401. 20140506_083745. 20140518_224428. 20140519_171500.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That looks far better mate, excellent job! How's it coming along with sorting the welding for the MOT?

Your headlights are screaming for a good buffing at the moment :Smile:

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I like some shiny chrome, but painting it back makes the 'H' and 'R' stand out.
    Suits the car better now :Smile:

Edit: Oooop meant black

Last edited: Monday 19th May, 2014
    Rhys likes this.
  5. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It's coming along nicely :Smile: just waiting on my mate to come along and do the welding and I need to get the door handle off and sent away to be repaired. Over the last few months I have had 3 of the 4 calipers off to be rebuilt with new pistons and seals. My next job is to treat her to some fresh amsoil gearbox oil. As for the headlights I did give them a once over with some meguires plastix but they need a proper going over so I will be getting the 3M kit to do that.

6. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I was quite happy with the chrome myself but i saw a photo of one with all black front end and that changed my mind so i went with that instead

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Good to hear mate, sounds like you've been quite busy. Hopefully she'll be all sorted again soon :Smile: By the way I've found PlastX on its own fantastic for restoring headlights but it needs a semi-abrasive material to make the difference otherwise it'll take ages.

8. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've enjoyed working on it to be honest and I can not wait to get It back on the road. I thought i was going wrong somewhere with the PlastX i just used a bit of polishing cloth wrapped on a cut down backing pad for a drill home made style ha ha i'll look in to them semi abrasive pads before i fork out for the 3M kit.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I could quite imagine mate, nothing like the satisfaction of working on your car and eventually taking her out for a spin to see the fruits of your labour :Smile:

I had the same issue mate, I used a microfibre and although it made a dent, it really didn't have much affect overall. Then I used 1600 grit sandpaper first (hindsight, 2500-4000 would have been better, I just had none to hand) and then and orbital buffing pad, had great results though not that 100% clarity because I was lacking the finer grit.

10. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have seen some great results from the 3M kit returning headlights to brand new ! So would you say start with 2500 grit then the 4000 and finish with the PlastX ?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd say that's a sound plan mate, a tip though, use the 2500 horizontally and then the 4000 vertically you'll better notice any imperfections. Naturally, for finishing her off just go nuts :Wink: Goes without saying but if you don't remove the headlights from the car, mask off all the surrounding areas.

12. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Too much hassle to take the headlights out as it involves taking the front bumper off ! Plenty of masking tape is what I'll be using :Smile:.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Any places you can suggest getting these fine grit papers from apart from the usual ebay and amazon etc ?

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I brought mine from Amazon I believe mate, listing is no longer available but have a search around :Smile:

15. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It's the 4000 grit I'm struggling to find :-( I take it that 3000 is to rough for finishing and 5000 isn't rough enough if you know what I mean ?

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

5000 would probably do the job nicely mate, I'd hope that 3000 isn't too far away from it to make the 5000 really hard to finish with.

17. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok I'll get some 2500 and 5000 ordered :Smile: thanks

18. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Nels and Ichiban like this.
  19. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Seems a little pricey considering the 3M headlight restoration kit is only £20 and that comes back with some very impressive results :Smile:. I've just ordered some 2500 and 5000 grit from eBay for just under a tenner and I already have PlastX to polish up. Im keen to see the results.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bought I don't need it but its good to have !

PeteMM likes this.