Track Project The Wacky Racer - "The new Money Pit" (in a nice way)

4th Generation (1992-1996) vehicle added by RogerH69, Saturday 19th Dec, 2015

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    RogerH69 added a new Honda to the garage:

The Wacky Racer

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

RogerH69 updated The Wacky Racer

View updates to this showcase item...
    - - - Updated - - -
    First thing I will have to do is get at least 2 tyres, as the nearside front is pretty much bald. I'm probably going to keep the 15 inch wheels at the moment, and replace all 4 tyres with some inexpensive (but not budget) 15 inch tyres for normal road use, and get some 16 inch tyres wrapped in better rubber for track use / shows / meets.
    I''ve also given some thought to the ICE setup, and I think I will keep it simple (for now) with just a touch screen head unit (probably single DIN, slide out type) which I can connect my phone to if necessary for navigation etc.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry I decided on and ordered a Pioneer AVH-X2700BT head unit for the Wacky Racer. It's a double DIN unit, and is the one I had in my Civic before the current one. It's probably more than I realistically need, but as I'll be fitting a reversing camera, as well as (probably) the same dual Dashcam kit as in my Civic, it will function perfectly. The new head unit should arrive tomorrow, ready for when the car is officially mine next week (yeah, I been spoiling myself for Xmas :Xmas: )

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Look what arrived today :Smile:

Car's not even in my name or paid for, and I'm already throwing money at it....

I'm probably going to get the good folks at Oxford Car Audio to install this for me. The reversing camera and dash cams I will fit myself.

Speaking of cameras, I've got a couple of spare reversing cameras lying around, one of which mounts to the bottom of the number plate trim. If this doesn't look out of place, and can be properly centered, I'll probably use that one, and then just need to find the easiest way to get the video and power cable inside the car with the least amount of drilling :Smile:
    20151220_110546.

SpeedyGee and legend-ary like this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I've decided that I'll have a go at installing the stereo myself, with @nick-b 's help.

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Woot - Dual dashcams arrived today. And the Prelude should be parked outside my house within about an hour :Smile:

So with the stereo, dashcams, reversing camera and illuminated Honda badge (like this one except for Honda - yes, I bought one) I have a far amount to keep me busy over the long Xmas weekend :Smile:

legend-ary likes this.
  7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Good stuff.. but I am thinking with this speed you will probably complete the car over Christmas! :Wink:

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hoping to get the 'gadgets' done by the new year (or first week of new year, as I'm not taking leave ('cept for bank holidays) over the festive period. Once we move the cars to the barn, Nick and I will have a thorough look through of both the cars and come up with a list of what needs doing.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Weeee - she's parked up at my place now :Smile:

Crap picture, but I really like that profile
    20151221_200454_001.

As soon as I get her cleaned out, and washed, I'll take some more pictures for the Garage Entry. I got a bit more info from Nick on her, and will update the project log / modifications info too.

Last edited: Monday 21st Dec, 2015
    legend-ary likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Agree about the profile. It looks fantastic! The long hood, short boot and swooping glasshouse is just lustworthy!

RogerH69 likes this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

RogerH69 updated The Wacky Racer - "The new Money Pit" (in a nice way)

View updates to this showcase item...
    - - - Updated - - -
    Love the flow of the body from her 'thin' nose up to her 'big' bum. I think the 'subtle' spoiler looks good on her as well (not really one for those big 'ironing board' spoilers anyway)

Those OEM wheels are starting to grow on me.... Should look better with some lower profile tyres on them. I am planning to have 16 inch wheels with track tyres to be used just for track use, so will most likely keep these wheels for normal road use.
    - - - Updated - - -
    She DOES have a massive rear window :Smile:

legend-ary likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I noticed that you had a thing for big bums @RogerH69 :Tongue:

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:lol: :lol: :lol:

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Getting myself some Avon 205/55R15 ZV5 tyres fitted tonight as basic road tyres. Gonna start looking for some 16 inch wheels as well onto which I will put dedicated track tyres (or at least tyres more suited to track use with occasional road use).

Couldn't get the car into the shop, never mind onto the ramp at my local exhaust fitter, as it's so low, so I went ahead and ordered some generic versions of the OEM mid and rear exhaust sections, and @nick-b and i will get them fitted to the car ourselves. Nick thinks he might have original cat still, so may fit that as well, so that it will pass MOT. I'll keep all the stuff we take off (as I now actually HAVE a place to store car parts in) and we can refit them for trackdays / meets etc.

Though the original intention was to keep this car purely as a track car, I may keep it as a weekend / track car, so may decide to keep it on the road - this is why I will have separate exhaust and tyres for track use. If I decide to have thos purely as a track car, and SORN it, I'll flog all the non track use items. This is a 'new' project, so not yet 100% sure on which way I want to go.

I had the chance to take her out on the motorway for a bit and give her some beans, and I came back with a BIG smile on my face. With the AWS, she can be a little twitchy (especially at about 7000 RPM when I change gear and then floor the accelerator again), but she is REALLY fun to drive. I'm sure she'll feel even better with some 16 inch wheels and performance tyres on :Smile:

legend-ary likes this.
  14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Driving home from ATS this evening, with the aircon not working (light comes on, but it doesn't demist windows or seem to 'click on'), I could hardly see anything as the wipers on the car were really bad, so I popped in Halfords and got some new Bosch blades all round. Wow what a difference :Smile: I think maybe the existing blades came with the car :Wink:

Got some screenwash, a demisting pad and window wipes as well while I was there :Smile:

Got home and was welcomed by some stern looks from my neighbours - guess they don't approve of that exhaust noise at 7:30am :Smile: Will make sure to rev it louder next time - wouldn't want to drive the engine while it's still cold....
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also - no-one else seemed to notice, but her wheels were facing the wrong way (thanks for pointing it out Nick), so had those rotated when the new tyres were put on.

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Seems I went a little crazy shopping for my new girl -
    • 4 new tyres - Fitted
    • Bosch full wiper blades set - Fitted
    • Generic 'stock' exhaust - Ordered
    • Tailored mat set (non OEM) - Ordered
    • Window motor for driver's door - ordered
    • Door and sunroof wind deflectors - ordered
    • Skunk2 gear knob - ordered
      [*]'Lexus style' rear lights - ordered - should match the headlights nicely once I've "de-hazed" the headlights
    • Sunroof panel (mine's rusted) - enquiring on price
    • Double Din stereo - Received
    • Dual dashcam system - Received
    • Reversing camera - taken from existing collection
    • Window tinting - considering
    Before I do anything, I need to give her a good cleaning, inside and out. Will give her a basic snow foam soaking, and then scrub and rinse with my Kercher. I suspect the boot may be leaking somewhere, so will need to be careful with the pressure washer for now. Not going to do any detailing work on her (except for clearing up the haze on the headlights) as I am not sure if I am keeping her current colour, or respraying in matt black - at least with the barn being big enough for 4 cars to fit in, we can use it as a makeshift painting booth :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hopefully I am done 'xmas' shopping now :Smile:

Last edited: Wednesday 23rd Dec, 2015
    Duc de Pommfrit and legend-ary like this.
  16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

wow! looks like you have been busy - ordering! :Grin: are you actually planning to start work over Christmas or after? In any case that is a lot of things that need to get done but good thing is you already have a plan of sorts . can't wait for the updates to start pouring in.

RogerH69 likes this.
  17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Getting tracking sorted tomorrow at ATS Euromaster Oxford, then take her for a nice drive on the motorway and some B roads, down to Oxford Performance Autos to get some pricing on tinting. After that, weather permitting, I would like to, over the space of the Xmas break till next week Tuesday (I have a few days work next week till new year) -
    • Fit stereo
    • Fit dashcams
    • Fit reversing camera
    • Fit any other small parts that arrive by 25th December

legend-ary likes this.
  18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Exhaust arrived, and ATS Oxford have kindly agreed to fit it for me when I go in tomorrow to get alignment done. Very nice of them as their official policy is not to fit parts not supplied by themselves. Except for the one incident which was probably a fluke anyway, I've always had great service from ATS Euromaster in Oxford (the only ATS I've ever used).

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

20. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

ouldn't get her alignment done, as she's too low for ATS to get the alignment thingies attached to the tyres. However, they did fit the replacement exhaust I sourced. For FREE !!

I took her out of the motorway and down some B roads, and she is such a pleasure to drive. Seems to hold the road very well, and goes like a bomb. I'm still getting used to driving 'in VTEC' as my Type-S Civic is way different. Exhaust is still quite noisy, so going to have it looked at again - possibly the decat ? that said, as soon as VTEC kicks in, she sounds soooo sweet, and I actually really like the sound made by the twin pipes of the stock exhaust.

As soon as I hit about 70 - 80, there's a fair amount of wind noise on the driver's door - as if the door is being pulled away from the body. It's an extremely loud whistling, not unlike the noise you hear in the movies when a plane has a small leak in one of it's windows. However, I just pop the sunroof open, and the wind noise on the driver's door stops. I've ordered some wind deflectors for the doors and the sunroof, so will see how they work when they arrive in about a week.

I gave her a bit of a wash with a pressure washer, and from what I can tell, she is not leaking from the door / window seals, so not sure where the water that seemed to have soaked the boot floor mat and the stuff Nick left in the there came from. More investigation required after I take all the mess out of the car. From what I can remember, there was a time when Nick had removed the custom spoiler where there was no spoiler attached, so maybe the water came in through the spoiler mounting holes at the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 25th Dec, 2015