Off-Topic The World at War

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 22nd Mar, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've been re-watching the fantastic series "The World at War" as it is being shown, in full, on BBC2 at the moment on weekday afternoons (how did we ever live without Sky+?!)

What has surprised me, is how many of my younger friends and colleagues haven't ever heard of it or seen it. So here is my recommendation - if you are generally interested in history, or specifically interested in the Second World War and haven't seen it, make sure you do. You won't regret it...

AndyB1976 likes this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Isn't that old series back from seventies?
    I have read about it somewhere but never watched it.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Yes I've been watching it (again), it's a great series except maybe one episode. Made at the right time when most of the people involved were still alive and could talk about events.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I do like history and often watch documentaries on think it's called yesterday channel.
    Lots of programs about World war two.Nazi collaborators Is the last one I watched.

I'll try and watch it if I am allowed anywhere near tv.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I've got it on boxset.....a stunning documentary. Don't miss it!

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It is something everyone should watch. Fascinating and informative, but also very, very scary about what took place.
    Has the world learnt any lessons from then? I'm really not sure.

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Episode 20, "Genocide" should be required viewing for everybody, everywhere.

Unfortunately, mankind doesn't seem to want to learn the lessons.

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have been to Auschwitz twice.
    Been inside gas chambers etc and i felt very strange and uncomfortable,it is a scary place actually.

10. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

"What we learn from history, is that we never learn from history."

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Excellent quote :Thumbup:

12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah, seems very apt whilst watching The World At War, and to think we have already had centuries of war, genocide and famine preceding it. Even today who knows where this world is going!

Last edited: Sunday 22nd Mar, 2015
  13. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    I have this on a re vamped blu ray DVD set and also the set that was issued free so time ago with one of the papers. Can't remember which paper off hand. I haven't had time to sit and re watch it but can anyone remember if they mention the Enigma code breaking and the important ground work in breaking the code done by the Polish or was it still hush hush at the time The World At War was made
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also I don't remember much in the TWAW about Nazi spys and our MI6

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I love ww2 stuff, just watched The Imitation Game and it was interesting.

I recently read an article about the Holocaust and in particular Auschwitz which questions the number of deaths due to the time it takes to cremete a body, the number of ovens and the timescale. It made references to Russia pre WW2 and the horrors which apparently the Jews committed on others, but I have no idea of the authenticity of it so may look up some other articles, something to do with recent archives having been released and revealing things.