General thermostat help...2004 2.4 Accord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sjw75, Friday 11th Oct, 2013.

1. sjw75 New Member Getting Started

Simon Basingstoke
    Hi, im new to the forum and Honda. I suspect that the thermostat is faulty, but am struggling to find where it is located and find any detail on how easy it is to remove, test and replace if needed. Any tips, photos or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Si.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Si, look down over the radiator, on the left side there is a big hose pipe coming out of the bottom of the radiator. Follow this pipe up, towards the engine and it will lead you to the thermostats housing.

Which is essentially under the inlet manifold.

Not actually had to take one off myself, but I guess it needs to be done from underneath or maybe you need to get the alternator off first.

Incidentally why do you think it is faulty ?

Does that hose coming out of it not warm up ?

3. sjw75 New Member Getting Started

Simon Basingstoke
    Thanks SpeedyGee, that helps..

what makes me think its faulty: the car runs fine, however the electric fans run pretty much all the time and the temperature guage dosent go any higher than approx a third. I had the ant roll bar bushes chaged yesterday and the mechanic who had somne experince with the 2.4 suggested that it was faulty and as a result the car wouldn't get upto temperature and VTEC wouldn't work properly. Im no expert so can disagree or agree with him, it sounds possible and the fans run more often that I would expect (i.e start the car from cold and within minutes they are kicking in)

Many Thanks

Si

4. GavTheMighty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They all seem to do this they don't even go to half way that's normal and fans kicking in next time you get into the car make sure no air is on heating, ac etc and see if the fans are still on because if you test it you will find the fans come on for no real apparent reason when you put the heating on for example.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If the thermostat wasn't working the temperature gauge would be up in the red as your car would be overheating. This is because the fans wouldn't be cooling the coolant as the coolant wouldn't be circulating through the radiator. As the temperature gauge is only 1/3 of the way up the scale then clearly isn't the case. If anything it sounds like you're worried the car is cooling itself too much.

If the temperature gauge isn't moving from the 1/3 position once the car is warm then I would suggest this is the correct position it should be in. I'm guessing this car is fairly new to you as you don't appear to know where the temp gauge should sit once the car is warm. The temp needle doesn't always sit stereotypically exactly half way up the scale when they're at operating temp on every make of car. If I was you I'd give it a couple of weeks to learn your car before automatically assuming there is a problem. In terms of the fans as suggested make sure the air con is turned off properly (it actually indicates 'off' as otherwise it isn't) to see if they cut in as much.

Hopefully someone else with a 2.4 can confirm where the temp gauge needle should sit when the cars warm and how often their fans kick in.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    About 1/3 of the way up the needle is where they do tend to sit. If you have climate control on then the fan will also be on a fair bit, even from cold.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you looked at the Radiator matrix to see if the fins are not blocked with grim and caked on mud? take a garden hose with moderate water pressure and get the fins cleaned out.