General Think I got a bargain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kris81, Thursday 4th Jun, 2015.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just thought I'd share with you what I have recently bought for when I finally get a job away from home, a mileage muncher!

DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG DSC_0054.JPGDSC_0057.JPG

My mate was gonna scrap it, but I fancied saving her so he let me have it for £60!
    1.9 tdi, 255k miles, MOT, and loads of free rubbish and muck!

Gonna start cleaning it up, mechanically it runs well, already bought some replacement wings of ebay, the correct colour.
    Also bought all the filters for a service.

Nighthawk and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Geez, I thought my Type-R was mucky when I bought it, it didn't come close to that :Laughing:

Hope it's easy enough to patch up for the purposes and continues being a bargain, I know many folks here will be a bit cynical being a high mileage VW :Whistle: You still got a bargain.

Regardless of badge, I look forward to seeing pics of the girl shining and in better health :goodluck:

3. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I love my CL9,( which I will be keepin)
    But you can't fault the vw pd engines, better than any diesel honda have managed. Horses for course's and all that.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The i-DTECs are pretty damn bulletproof :begdiffer:

But yeah, they're a proven engine for sure, it was more wear and tear on components in general :Smile:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Don't you mean metal muncher ? :Tongue:

6. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

On the 2 forums I use, (mainly the other one)I got the impression the diesels Accords were not as reliable, and certainly not as good on fuel?
    My friend ran this car for 2 years doing nearly 40k, and it averages 56mpg.

It will do for me, for now.
    I'm looking forward to getting it cleaned up see how it comes up!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Something has definitely munched on the metal in the wings!

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd say that's a pretty unfair statement.

The early i-CTDis had premature timing chain wear issues which were largely resolved just over a year after the engine was first released, the I-DTEC engine which has been around for the last 7 years has long proven itself as extremely reliable. The old VAG PD engines were simplistic and fairly dependable, but not without their failures, the more complicated VAG common-rail diesels which replaced were way worse in early life (I-CTDI is a common-rail diesel, a lot of manufacturers had issues getting these out the door). Only other thing really worth noting is the I-CTDI don't have the best clutch life either.

Economy depends on the weight on the chassis, but you'll find many reports on the forum of low 60s and high 50s on the lighter chassis, on heavier Accords and CR-Vs high 40s and low 50s tend to be more common.

Honda Diesel engines are not as reliable as Honda Petrol engines and that's what you'll hear time and time again, they're certainly more dependable than manufacturers like VAG today. I have a pro-Honda standpoint, but I'll give dues, Ford and Toyota are top of the diesel game - but Honda is catching up.

Phil P and Zebster like this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've done a fair bit of work on my neighbour's high-mileage 2002 Audi A6 and I do quite admire that VAG 1.9 TDi motor, but it is definitely noisier and less smooth than the Honda I-CTDI. Does seem to be very reliable though (I've only had to replace a blown-off intercooler pipe for him) and - as you say - gives good economy, but I wouldn't rate it above the I-CTDI.

That is a bargain! Good luck in tidying it up.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sounds like a bargain, look forward to seeing her in better health

10. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Even Toyota diesels have common problems. I had a 2008 2.2 Avensis and it needed a new head gasket. Internet forums are riddled with the same complaint.

In Toyota's defence they replaced the engine under an extended warranty of 7 years for this particular problem which they held their hands up to.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Definitely not without their issues too, not every one is perfect, but in general Toyota diesels are great - they've had decades of development unlike Honda.

12. Nighthawk Guest

A car which crunches lots of motorway miles will always have an engine in better condition, diesels especially do like not stop/start journeys and they are designed to eat up the motorway miles. Any diesel maintained will easily hit high miles reliably when just chugging along the motorway., I love my accord but I do feel more comfortable booting the Civic more being a petrol.

The mazda diesels are really good too, very smooth

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Oh my that is a state! :crazyeyes: But can't complain for £60!

Pretty much all modern diesels will have faults with them, its the side effect of cramming lots of tech into it to make tractor engines smooth and quiet. The TDI's, well the one on this Golf, is old school diesel, proper tractor engines, so they were pretty solid, much like the old Peugeot HDi units which were very reliable and did moon miles.

14. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Before,
    DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0057.JPG DSC_0060.JPG

And after 3hrs of hoovering
    DSC_0062.JPG DSC_0061.JPG DSC_0063.JPG

15. Nighthawk Guest

Looks so much better - did you remove the seats?

16. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No just hoovered where I can get to, the condition of the seats is very surprising considering the age and mileage.
    Next is to give all the plastics a wipe over, clean the glass, and change the front wings.
    Then give it it's first wash in 2 years!

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I always hated diesel and then my experience of 2 VW Golf diesels confirmed my feelings about diesel and put me off diesels for life....or so I thought. Rough and crude and then there was the heavy oil consumption and resulting smoke screen I had on a 4th Generation 1.9 PDI 130bhp Golf Highline. Bone dry every 2,000miles yet VW said there was nothing wrong with it! :Rolf:

Then I drove Honda ICTDI and I-DTEC.......and now, the first sign of the Apocalypse, I drive I-DTEC Accord. :lol: - and I don't need shares in Castrol as it uses next to no oil. I-DTEC much better engine than VW diesel in my experience and much more refined. Someone has done well to get that mileage out of PDI engine without catastrophe striking. Having said that it's like with the ICTDI and I-DTEC issues, a good maintenance regime fends off most issues.

I would much rather have a petrol Accord though but it's still an Accord. A diesel Accord is better than no Accord at all.

Seriously though my mate has had 2 VW Passat taxis. His last one - 250,000 miles (1.9PDI engine ) when he moved it on a year ago is still running around Morpeth. He did have problems with the ECU on it not long after he got it but nothing else really other than that.

Good luck with the tidy up and looking forward to seeing the results. Always good to see a car that is salvageable saved from the crusher. :Niceone:

18. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Maybe I was to quick to say vw diesels are better than honda diesels.
    I'll tell you how I came to that statement,
    Reading on forums about 7th Generation accord diesels, all I was coming across was problems long threads about stretched timing chains, cracked manifolds, poor economy and short clutch life, I took it word for word what I was reading.
    My friend who supplied my other friend with this car 2 years ago works at a VAG orientated 2nd hand car dealership, this was a part ex that had come in, when talking to him he swears by the Pd engines.

So for my needs and price range ( £60! Ha ha) if this lasts me 6 months it will have saved me £1000 in fuel costs, against running the CL9.

But if we are talking any price range, which my broad statement could imply then I would probably agree with urselves, I should imagine the newer honda diesels will be better than the 2.0 vw diesels, as I drove an octavia the other week and was surprised how rough it was at first but, they do a job they are made for motorway driving which is why he has it.

If money were no object I would be petrol all day!

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

No-one's denying you got a bargain mate, I bet a fair few here would have done the exact same thing for you.

The cracked manifolds are often repaired out-of-warranty free of charge, timing chains there was a warranty extension for and only really affected the very first I-CTDI diesels, economy isn't bad at all in my opinion, but short clutch life is definitely a reality - but it's only really the remapped ones that eat them super fast. You'll find all the same here on HK, but remember these aren't issues every owner faces, ask @Nels, @Nighthawk and all the other trouble-free I-CTDI owners we've had here :Smile:

20. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

OK point made and taken
    Any accord diesels up for swaps for a well maintained and cared for golf tdi?

Even if it doesn't last long I'll of had fun bringing it back to life, gonna try out my DA polisher on it before I touch any other cars with it! Lol

Nighthawk and DeviateDefiant like this.