General Thinking about leaving Honda.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbrooks65, Tuesday 15th Mar, 2016.

1. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi everyone.

Thinking about getting an estate sometime this year. Always had my eye on an Accord Type-S tourer but the Mazda 6 estate is incredible value for money.

I know we're all Honda people but we're also car people so what's your opinions on the 2 below? I'm thinking petrol.

Basically, I can get a low mileage 2010 2.5 sport for £8k or a 2013 2.0 sport nav for £13k. Fuel economy is the main issue, 34 MPG for 2.5 petrol and 47 MPG for 2.0. But the difference is price offsets the extra fuel costs. I do 15K miles a year.

upload_2016-3-15_11-46-36. upload_2016-3-15_11-47-57.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The 2nd Generation (which is the 2010 model you have there) uses a chassis largely derived from Ford Mondeo (GH chassis code) - the 2nd Generation arent very fuel efficient at all and really do guzzle away quite happily. Personally, I would go for the 3rd Generation that you have there, they use the skyactiv technology, produce more power, much more fuel efficient and cost less to insure and to tax. They have a new chassis (GJ) but this is stilll based largely off the GH and therefore Ford chassis. Nothing wrong with that mind you but bear in mind that Mazda are still heavily influenced by Ford (30 odd something percent of shares I think it is).

A Mazda 6 is my next car, a GJ one too, if Honda doesnt work out. I like Mazda's - they have come a long way. They are also the only Japanese car still made in Japan and shipped over if memory serves me correctly

Good luck with the search

nsxer and dbrooks65 like this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I was having a look at some cars on Sunday, just browsing around and there was a Mazda 6 Sport 15 plate and I have to admit it looked very nice, even the interior looked good!

dbrooks65 and Nighthawk like this.
  4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Fuel consumption of the 2nd generation is definitely a concern then, especially as i do a lot of miles.

An I-DTEC Type-S will still be a contender when the time comes but I'm leaning towards Mazda. Like the idea of going back to petrol too.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Nighthawk just out of interest are you thinking about buying a petrol or diesel mazda 6?

5. Nighthawk Guest

The 3rd Generation Mazda 6 is lovely and is absolutely loaded with toys to play with

Id get a petrol - at the moment I am likely to be able to afford an FK2 Type-R towards the end of the year, but if that changes for whatever reason, I will probably head over to Mazda. Either way, Im going back to petrol - I have missed it

Chunkylover53 and dbrooks65 like this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd go for the newest you can afford.

I too have looked at, and been impressed by, the latest Mazdas. The latest - facelift - Mazda 6 has a great interior too.

A word of caution though...the 2013 would be a pre-facelift, and it was the interior quality (and the same for the CX5) that put me off. It was pretty cheap and flimsy IMHO. The 2015 cars onwards seemed to me to be in a different league.

Looking at the Civic Tourer and the prices compared to that Mazda they are generally much more expensive, but slightly newer and with lower miles. And less spec, generally.

May be worth a look though? At least before you discount it?

Nighthawk and dbrooks65 like this.
  7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I test drove a 2015 mazda 6 tourer and I really liked it. The only down size was the auto diesel MPG is rubish. 38mpg! I was then waiting for a call back to test drive a 2.0 petrol sport version to see if I could get the 47mpg it claimed but saw a CR-V and bought that instead as I thought the 4x4 may come in handy. The 2.0 sport petrol seemed hard to get hold of so may be the better car to buy?

dbrooks65 likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

9. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    My 2.0l Mazda 3 sport drank more petrol than my Accord and sounded like a sewing machine. But it was great fun to drive.

Last edited: Friday 18th Mar, 2016
    qc2 and Nighthawk like this.
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Space wise the CR-V is better compared to the new shape mazda but the petrol engine in the mazda is better on fuel than Honda. There's pros and cons for both. I'd suggest test driving a CR-V and a mazda as I'm sure your decision will be made a lot easier.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Duc de Pommfrit was your mazda a skyactive engine? If so what MPG where you getting?

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    No mine wasn't sky-active, but my friend bought a new one on the strength of my old 3, will find out his MPG if you like.

Racy Jace likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just reading some of the reviews on the Mazda 6. Generally they say a hard ride and noisy on the motorway, with a cheap interior on the pre-facelift.

Mind you, if I'd have believed the reviews I'd have never bought a Honda!

:brickwall:

13. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I haven't looked into a 4th Generation CR-V because I didn't think they were in my price range. The shape has grown on me - I wasn't convinced when it first came out. Funnily enough I was helping a family friend load a TV stand into his 64 plate CR-V last night and was impressed by the size of the boot. He said he loves it.

FirstHonda likes this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

dbrooks65 likes this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Well worth a test drive. If I wasn't able to get an Accord last year, I'd have had a CR-V. There really are lots around, and in a wide range of prices.

FirstHonda and dbrooks65 like this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I have a low opinion of Mazda6's after having had 3 of the darn things, they are a harsh ride, poorer quality, poorer economy, rust like hell, wear badly, interiors do not look well on the 100K ones, engines troublesome.

That's all on the 1st Generation ones, I understand the latest gen ones are much better than this. Personally it would take a lot for me to go back to a Mazda6 again, as each one of 4 Accords left a lasting impression on me but all my 3 Mazdas 6's didn't !

dbrooks65 and FirstHonda like this.
  17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thew new GJ platform is completely independent, no Ford input at all as Mazda bought out Ford's share and they no longer have any say in Mazda's, soo all Skyactive platform cars are 100% Mazda.

Mazda have always been great to be honest, they were even better before Ford took controlling stake and bought cost cutting, check out the Xedos models they made, they were built to some of the highest standards in car building.
    - - - Updated - - -
    All typical Ford cost cutting, which is shame as it ruined their reputation, the cars they used to make were solid and rustproof. The new ones on the skyactiv platform are supposed to be good though.

Nighthawk and dbrooks65 like this.
  18. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I had problems with a 2006 Mazda 2.0 diesel previously. I wonder if the new sky active diesels are more reliable.

19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I've read about teething problems on the 1st Generation due to the use of high compression, but the 2nd Generation of engines should be solid.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  20. Nighthawk Guest

@exec - I stand corrected mate in relation to their platforms :Thumbup: