Pre-Purchase Thinking Of Buying An 8th Generation

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 7th Aug, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got good news and bad news.... lol

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You've scrapped the Mazda, you've lost the keys to your Accord :Wink:

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    lol, not quite but close I guess. I'm looking at an 8th Generation Tourer and selling the MPS. But there is a caveat.... chug chug chug....

John Dickson and DeviateDefiant like this.
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That is good news mate, but surely not a weasel? :Tongue:

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye probably, i can pick up free diesel at work or very cheap at the least. I'm assuming the I-DTEC is a good engine though?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well then it makes sense :Smile: It is a great engine by all accounts mate. The pitfalls of the original I-CTDI have been overcome. The only issues you hear coming up regularly are DPF related.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I thought having the DPF close to the engine in order to heat up quicker helped this?

So, what's the best spec to go for? I know very little about the 8th Generation but read that entry level ones are the most comfortable whereas higher spec have stiffer suspension? What about ride height, is the Type-S lowered and what about the EX?

Also, are there any tuning options with the diesel?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm no expert on the diesels but for sure the Type-S is where you want to be looking for performance, about 35hp more than the standard N22B map. You also get a stylish aggressive body kit, and other bits.

Both diesel variations can be remapped, think the Type-S can reach around 220hp, the clutch will take a massive beating though and as everyone will remind you, premature wear of other components too. There's a lot of information on the site already about diesel mapping, but the same general I/H/E principles still apply - unfortunately just not many off the shelf parts so few people go down the route other than a remap and DPF delete.

Considering it's through work and therefore emissions, Type-S is the best you'll pull off from Honda I believe in terms of power.

@Racy Jace, knows a lot on the topic :Smile:

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    What about the toys of the EX but mapped to the power of the Type-S? I'm wondering if the Type-S has any uprated components to deal with the extra bit of power?

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Arcticfire

I think the Type-S increased performance isn't (just?) via the chip.

The turbo is different and inlet ports are as well if I recall correctly. When I got my I-DTEC 150 EX I thought it would be just a simple case of dropping Type-S chip in but there are hardware differences as well.

Not sure about pre-facelift but post-facelift has an internal "grass" feature on the ECU I think. If the car has been remapped I think HDS can pick it up, send details of your engine number etc to HUK and grass you up basically.

They've done this in response to issues arising from badly done remaps. On the 7th Generation there were clutch issues and exhaust manifolds cracking because of the excessive heat generated by a remap.

To be honest I personally wouldn't bother the 2.2iDTEC 150 pulls like a train. Up to you of course.

Yes ES trim has non-sport suspension, all others ES GT upwards have sport suspension (saloon boot is 470litres on ES, 467 litres on EX/Type-S due to different suspension design)

Type-S is basically EX spec if I recall correctly just Type-S has part leather rather than full leather of EX, Type-S alloys, drilled sports pedals, no sunroof and I think you get xenons/washers as standard whereas this is part of ADAS option on EX (I may be thinking of EX-GT - which Type-S replaced in 2010 with respect to the xenons/washers however - got both brochures in the house I'll try to remember to have look)

Only other difference I can think of at moment is on pre-facelift cars Type-S was the only one to get plain front indicators without the orange reflector backing to them.

Type-S on post facelift gets chrome front fog surround like ES GT

I've had no DPF issues so far over 6,000 miles.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Personally, the 2012MY ->, I-DTEC, Ex with ADAS, Premium pack and Sigma alloys.

Attached Files:

John Dickson likes this.
  12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That seems to confirm Type-S does get full leather.

I must be getting confused with EX-GT which got part leather.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hmmmm wonder what started me on that ?:Wink:

John Dickson likes this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I think the earlier Type-S 8th Generation were part leather, just like the 7th Generation.
    Ex ADAS is the only way to get a sunroof and HIDs

John Dickson likes this.
  15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I thin you're right JD. I've got both pre and post facelift brochures I'll try and remember to have a look later, no time this morning unfortunately.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, will probably forget the mapping and look for an EX. I like my toys! lol

Nels likes this.
  17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Id personally go for a type-S. The Ex only has a rusty Sunroof that's extra to the type-S. You can get ADAS apparently for the Type-S so the Type-S has the same toys gadgets plus body kit, red interior lights and Speedo, sports pedals, sports knob.

Suension is the same. Type-S has bigger turbo and better clutch plate.

The Type-S will probably hold its value higher than an EX too

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Been having a good look and I'm not going higher than £9K which seems to eliminate the Type-S :Frown:

I think I'll settle for the EX-GT as I don't mind not having a sun roof, part leather isn't an issue now as being an estate the Beagle can go in the boot (dog hairs on fabric = nightmare! lol) and the GT body kit seems to make all the difference with the looks over the EX. Colour wise, I'm not too keen on the black, prefer the gunmetal or silver.

Is it safe to go for a higher mileage Accord with the diesel? i.e. 80K+?

19. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

High mileage should be fine as long as its been serviced. Check with Honda to see if its had any forced regens. If its had a few, most likely it will need replacing or removing.

Its a shame mine isnt a Tourer as I may have to sell mine soon.:Frown:

20. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★