Bikes Thinking of getting another bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & ATV' started by Paul, Thursday 19th Apr, 2012.

1. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had an itch recently and really tempted to buy another motorbike. My last bike was a Suzuki SV650S which was fun but far too small and uncomfortable after only about 30 miles on it. Money is tight as well with the wife being on maternity leave so here's the challenge....

Can anyone suggest a more upright seated bike that will be comfy for a 6'3" tall person which costs up to £1000. Not to fussed on age but more reliability!

Anything considered and this may be some time in the future once the garage is tidied!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    add me to the list too any bike for 1000 ..:Grin: I have this weeks MCN going to hunt for both of us.

3. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Got bikes myself. I can DEF recommend (if it is a very comfy sit up and beg bike you want) Honda CB750F2N I have had one a Black 1996 one as I recall superb mile muncher I used it every weekend to run to Leeds from Northampton with no problems (pic of mine below). Very cheap cost me £96 a year fully comp!

Not the fastest bike in the world but for value comfort and reliability it is very hard to top.. A near mint Blue 1995 one with 20k sold few days ago on EBay for £970
    CB750.

Or ZZR600 also a good bike and can be picked up cheap. Much faster than the CB but good bike all round. Seat is a little lower and leans more to the sport tourer but very comfy. Have one of these at the mo..

ZZR6.

zzr is going to cost more to run but is comfy is poss a little small. My Dad had ridden this when he was with us and he was 6.5" and almost 80! We had a run down to Somerset on the grids big bunch of us great fun day. Loads of ZZR6 on EBay but buy with care they do have issues if not serviced. Swing arm as grease gets neglected and they size.. Grease nipple is fitted but this is very often missed, rear calipers can seize up but easy to fix/replace and make sure shims are ok and it does not sound like a bag of spanners.

Good hunting guys

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  4. Benji Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I wish my wife would let me get a bike. I have always wanted one, but it really isn't in our budget. And, my wife doesn't really like the idea of them for whatever reason. It is a real shame, when money gets in the way of things! If only money really did grow on trees...we all would be rich! haha.

5. mattpc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would love a bike but I don't trust myself... My litle mx5 has kept me happy for 6 years however.

6. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A track day bike would appeal to me rather than owning a bike for the roads. No tax no insurance and other headaches.

Roll up to a track with your bike blast around at what ever speed you want , pack it up and head home with the biggest grin of your life.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Riptide Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Apparently you get one of these free with every bike insurance policy

Donor-card-001.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Very reassuring isnt it , as a biker the instance of poor driving by car drivers is on the increase its worrying specially from the German car owners.

Pulling out of junctions not looking for riders,no consideration for anyone. That why like Mikem I too would lean to the race track bike.

9. Riptide Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, you don't have to be a bad biker to end up in an accident.

10. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think bad car drivers should get that card as default :Smile: since they are a menace to themselves and other road users. NOT all bikers are bad riders.

11. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd love another bike and sorry to say it would be another GSXR cos I just love them to bits, but never got the time to use the last one hence why I sold it. They'll all be out soon as the weather picks up I get well jealous lol

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have done several track days and they are great fun for little money.. You don't need a big bike to have fun either a 400 sports would go fine, I like the Kawak zxr400 fab little bike and cheap.

As for the cars on the road today yep it is fun!

I have been on bikes from the tender age of 12 and in all my years only come off (on the road) twice. Once about 14/15 years ago when a Copper pulled out on me! and once on diesel mid bend.. Thats the one that hurt.. Bikes are safe it will only do what you make it but you need to have your wits about you as there are some total rejects out there trying to drive.. Stay well away from 4x4 drivers and yep German car drivers with "it is my road" attitude.

I ride when I can and time allows, when the good weather is here (if) I will be using for my trips to work - all country roads and very enjoyable..

Getting into biking is not that expensive if you don't mind an old bike. You can pic up a reasonable machine for less than a grand. Insurance is ok so long as you have a year or two no claims if not shop about and you will find some decent prices out there. Plus they are fun to work on, if you enjoy getting your hands dirty.

Mikem likes this.
  13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Used to have one 20 years ago...Yammy FJ1200...but now in my late 40s so I wouldn't risk it...my reactions have slowed down too much...apparently in the NHS they call born again bikers in their 40s and 50s "organ donors" - as Riptide has already said

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have always admired Yamaha for their beautiful bikes and superb performance , it is the only other Japanese bike on the motocross scene which I loved to ride. The rivalry between Honda and Yamaha is still very much alive and a great to see both claiming to have the edge.

15. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yep one of a number of things they are called. Lots more for car drivers to.. fJ1200 was/is a damn fine bike never had one but guy I used to ride with had one about the same time as I got a zx9 we did some trips to west cost a few time. Great bike fast to for such a big machine.

Reactions would be fine once you got your eye in again, you never loose it..

Lot of the born again mob that have accidents that I have come accross tend to be of the sports bike clan.. Like alot of the younger bikers ythat end up in A&E they ride to fast and think they are a track/GP god I have a few guy I know like this most have had a spill and almost all their fault. The bikes are fine it is what you do with them that makes the difference.

I have a Registrar at work, she has just come from A&E and sees far more car victims than bikes.. We chatted about this today and surprisingly she said the bikers often have lesser injurys than those taken in from some of the higher speed car RTAs death rates are lower to, well at least in Northants..

But then you go to say Matlock on a nice sunny day and there are plenty of bikers giving us a bad name.

Go get yourself another FJ a fine bike and you never forget would all come flooding back..

Mikem likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Absolutely agree with you once its in your blood you will find pulling 3 gear wheelies (on a track of course) comes natural..I have had a high speed crash when I hit a diesel slick on the A64 in the 90's. I was in hospital for 6 months and once I was fixed back on the saddle.

Mikem likes this.
  17. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My second off was at 70 ish on a left hand bend on the A508, I was on an FZR 6 still have the clocks and still read 73 mph :Smile: needle stuck when it hot the road.

That was on a diesel spill out with a friend he was running in his new Thunder Ace another Yam. Being a way behind he watched me hit the deck and managed to miss. First I knew of it and all I could remember was waking up in crash in A&E with a tube in my chest for a collapsed lung and internal bleed, 5 broken ribs which was the worst bit and a smashed shoulder. All good now and like you was back in the saddle soon as well enough to go buy another.

I have a friend who had an RGV now he has a charmed life he came off in fog one winter and a bloody mondeo went over him! Had the tyre print accross his lower back and a shattered pelvis to prove it. His lid saved his life, I have never seen one more banged up. Good lid Arai lot of money but then what value do you place on your head? My dad always told me if your head is only with £10 to you then buy £10 lid.. I got the message and went for the best...

Bikes are great you have to have had one and enjoyed it to fully understand the enjoyment and freedom.

My true love was my modded GPZ900R I loved that bike, I have had faster better handling machines but that is the one I always miss.. Wish I had never sold it.. The best value all rounder I have had was a Yam Fazer 6 cracking little 600 keep up with most things if you are a competent rider.

Hey ho have to shut up now have a tear in my eye thinking of my old GPZ :-(

Born again or just on to wheels for the first time it is all good, don't think - do - life is to short if you want one find a way and get one. Ride sensabley and defensively and it will be a long one.. Life that is..

Happy days

Mikem likes this.
  18. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I rather watch bikes in action then drive one.I could drive some really slow ones but fast ones scares me to death :Fear:.

19. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honest Zoran, it's a buzz.. Great fun and puts you back in touch with nature. It is amazing what you miss in a car.. I love it at dusk in the summer riding in the sticks as the day ends and the cool evening air hits, the change in the air the smell is great..

Besides anything that scares you a little is good make you feel alive :Smile:

The bike won't hurt you, well unless it's an MV in which case after half an hour riding you will be bent double and probable disabled for life! No even they are ok but an out and out race machine and with my back no way could I ride far on one of those..

20. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I believe its a buzz but just don't trust myself with fast motorbike.never know,might buy myself a bike in the future when kids grow up.