General This Jazz vs That Jazz

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by legend-ary, Sunday 27th Dec, 2015.

?

Lower mileage lower spec vs High mileage high spec

1. Jazz SE (Katto)

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Jazz Sport (with whiny gearbox)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello everyone. Time to vote!

As many of you know I have owned a Jazz since August. I have done close to 2000 trouble free miles in it so far. Replacement of some suspension parts aside, there is a leak in the gearbox which by the looks of it is coming from the main oil seal which can mean its a box off job and the gear stick does vibrate a bit on 70mph which has led me to believe that some bearing is no longer 100%. I have gotten a few quotes and they are for around £250-£350 depending on what comes forward when the box comes off the car. I simply cannot afford to get it fixed anytime soon . The gearbox was repaired about 50,000 miles ago in 2013 by previous owner so I am not too worried. However, overall the car is very nice and I don't see why it wouldn't keep running for the next year or so if I keep the gearbox oil topped up and ignore the leak simply because I cannot do anything about it. The car has done approx 97,000 miles now.

OR

There is a Jazz Sport for sale for 1/3 the price of my car. Is 1 year newer but has done 127,000 miles so 30,000 miles more than mine. What is the catch? It already has the dreaded gearbox whine and will require the bearing replacement so approximately £350 worth. With the box completed, it would end up costing me same as my current car (which I will sell) so I total I will not be better or worse off with either (in theory). At the end of the day, with box repaired I will end up with a car which I know won't have gearbox issues for next few years/life.

Equipment wise, compared to mine, this sick Jazz has a full Sport bodykit including front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper, front fog lamps, facelift Jazz's interior with USB input etc.

So what should I do? Stick to my own Jazz (Katto) with its lower mileage or go for this sick Jazz which has done 30,000 extra miles than mine, get it fixed and end up with a much sporty looking car??

88196_IMG-20150809-WA0011. Honda_Jazz_II_Facelift_1.4_ES_Sport_front.

exec likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can you skip the 2nd Generation all together and get the early 3rd Generation made in Japan. No more whiny gearboxes.

legend-ary likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I love the look of 3rd Generation but it will require extra dough to get one. I am not in a hurry to change cars and would certainly won't mind to save up for a cheaper 3rd Generation. I guess what you are saying is rather than worrying about which 2nd Generation to get, I should aim higher :Grin:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    legend-ary likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    oh you can't compete for the 3rd Generation at that money.

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yeah that is why I am sticking to bottom end of 2nd Generation. I only do maybe 400 miles a month and 6 days a week my car sits in parking eating dust.

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Why not use the Civic you bought? I think that would be better, as good as the Jazz is the Civic is a class better, keep Katto running until you've sorted the Civic out, and then switch to the Civic.

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

hmm... fair point. I shouldn't discount the Civic.. I bought it just to get my hands dirty but you are right.. Although I do feel its a bit too big for me BUT I love the look of that thing.. hmm haha this has become even more twisted now!

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You will get used to the size in no time, and in the bigger picture of things the Civic is a small car, the extra space and practicality of it will come in handy too, and if i remember correctly your expecting a child, so the bigger boot is better aswell for fitting pushcahirs etc, it's one reason why I got a Civic for my Uncle, also much easier getting a child in and out etc. I don't know how well the condition of the Civic is but if its any good then I would seriously consider keeping it, you might even save money in the long run, the Jazz Sport could need a lot of other work to it, plus the bigger engine of the Civic is so much nicer to drive in and its very refined on the motorway.

legend-ary likes this.
  11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Have to agree with you on all the points. Plus Civic has got VTEC! not the crazy switchover type but atleast its there.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Also this from another thread:

The 1.6 engine is really economical, you can do 40+ MPG in it, brake parts are not expensive at all and disc brakes last longer, give you far better braking capacility and don't have complexities of drums either, suspension will be similar design, torsion bar at back, struts at front, they are strong parts and well designed, Honda's of this type rarely have any suspension problems. The only issue might be insurance, but for my Uncle who was also "new driver and first car", the Civic was around £100-200 more to insure.

I was really impressed with the Civic after having skeptical views about them.

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yeah overall 4 wheel discs are better than drum setup. But then again not all disc brakes are created equal as in Jazz Sport its more problematic as the handbrake works on the discs only and is flimsy and less effective causing issues during MOT. Its a very well documented issue and apparently there is no solution. However I have noted that the Civic has an integrated drum in the rear discs for the handbrake which means no such problems. Regarding MPG I guess you are right that Civic will be effortless as Jazz's small engine is stressed on motorway speeds as it does about 3200-3500rpm at 70mph. Civic is indeed more expensive to insure.. I guess I will get a better idea when renewal time comes in March.

But to address the question at hand, you are suggesting that I should ignore the cheap Jazz Sport for now and keep the Katto

exec likes this.
  14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As you added a poll to this thread... does this mean you're looking for 'Jazz Hands' :lol::lol::lol:

I'm here all week... don't forget to try your waitress and tip the veal.

What are you lot groaning at.... I could have simply posted this.

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think there is a lot to be said for "better the devil you know." And not just for the obvious Kylie reference...:Laughing:

Personally I'd stick with your current Jazz and get it fixed. The newer one might be fine, but you may also start to uncover other stuff once you've bought it. And regret is a horrible thing...

As you are pleased with Katto, get her fixed while you work on the Civic. You can then make a choice later.

Sorry, mid-life crisis means I'm obliged to post this, too. Kylie...sigh.:Wub::GiveRose:

exec and legend-ary like this.
  16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Thanks @FirstHonda that is one key point that I think I completely overlooked. With the current Jazz I have figured out most of it in past 4 months of ownership. The new Jazz will be another can of worms.

I must say I got greedy and wanted to have the alloys and bodykit and was quite conveniently ignoring the pitfalls .

Thanks everyone. I shall stick to Katto for now.

FirstHonda likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I actually prefer the simpler looks of the earlier model, especially yours with the side and bumper protectors which break up the rather slabby sides.

The alloys are nice though - but surely you could pick up a second hand set from eBay simply enough? There seem to be loads available.

18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yeah alloys are quite readily available n eBay. Being a new driver the thought of 'modding my car and telling it to insurance' gives me shivers so I thought why not just get it as standard. I don't like my sode stips mainly because they are all faded grey but then again once inside the car I don't see them :Grin:

I have given up on the idea of swapping the Jazz around so Katto stays. I will see how Civic ends up, might swap it as daily even.