General This will put you off flying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Thursday 4th Sep, 2014.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland

Think most of these are Leeds which is one of the worst airports for crosswinds

hedleyf likes this.
  2. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

WOW, Thanks for those, Must remember if I ever go to Leeds to drive up, any other airports I should avoid?
    It,s reassuring to see that the plane can lift back up if the landing is aborted I would have thought that the speed of the aircraft to be to low for that.
    Cheers

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I Live in leeds but fly out of East Midlands ,Donny or Manchester. for the above reason.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Pilots are well-trained for these sorts of situations but for the passengers, it must be a nerve racking experience.

It's amazing watching big planes, just get blown around like that.

5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I had flying lessons last year and what shocked me was on my very first lesson I rolled the plane on to the runway in front of a British Airways 737, and then told to control/take off myself and it was so easy. Landing is a bit harder!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Think the "L" plate fell off, and a view of the Northumberland coast
    Plane . Plane  (2).

AccordCU2, Harvey, SpeedyGee and 2 others like this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Eeek! Great footage.

I nearly always choose to fly from Heathrow, and it is the amount of traffic that fascinates/amazes/worries me. When waiting for a slot you can nearly always see plenty of other aeroplanes in the skies, sometimes looking quite close!

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The ATC's (Air Traffic Controllers) do a fantastic job in making this run smoothly and safely.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you seen these Air Crash Investigation programs on the Sky Discovery Channels @Nels ?

Just kidding ... you're right they do do a good job.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Haven't seen the programs.
    ATC's can make mistakes, but thankfully that's very, very rare in the UK.
    I wouldn't want their job.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

11. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    My only scary flight was returning to Sydney from Coffs Harbour somewhere around 1980 in a Fokker F52.
    Caught some windshear on finals to Sydney, dropped like a stone for second or two, though it felt longer! :eek:

I swore never to sit in the second row of seats on those planes again - two red lines down the side of the cabin just about top of thigh height - look out of the porthole and the lines matched where the prop was spinning...

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure there seems to be more problems with planes these days than before, always reading it in the news. The sooner Honda expand into large commercial jets the better! Lol