Pre-Purchase Thought I'd start the ball rolling

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by MickyB, Sunday 14th Aug, 2016.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well since getting the new puppy we have toyed with the idea of replacing the HR-V which is now 17 years old still runs perfect but a little high at the back and as he grows the space in the rear gets smaller.
    Some people have suggested an FR-V but truthfully both my wife and I are not great lovers of it, so we are considering a 2nd Generation CR-V.
    My remit is I am looking for as new as possible 55-56 reg. Low mileage, petrol or diesel?? Not too bothered,as many extras as possible, a good service history,and in decent condition.
    Well I've trawled various sites looking at various vehicles and building a possible list.
    This was looking pretty good but then I noticed that they had posted a picture of the engine which was diesel.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172279980471
    So I decided to ring them as I wanted to know about servicing as well.
    It turned out that when they posted the ad they had two identical CR-V's both fuel types and they had mixed the photograph up.
    As for service history the lady owner had mislaid the service book and had no service receipts for any work done so this went in the recycling bin.
    This afternoon we went to a local private garage to take a look for the first time at a 2nd Generation CR-V (yes we hadn't looked inside one till today)
    The one we chose to look at was a 55reg 2.0ivtec with sat nav leather etc. Well initial thoughts were very spacious especially in the back for Frankie.
    It wasn't the cleanest I'd seen in my time the drivers seat was showing signs of age and hadn't been looked after. The passenger seat had a number of cigarette burns in it. Sound system was saying not working insert disc?? The engine bay was fairly clean a new battery had been fitted and the engine turned over and fired up first time of asking. Oils checked engine pretty dirty! The sunroof worked perfectly as did the air con but the drivers door mirror did not retract when the switch was activated.
    Then I tried to open the rear door which was one of the main areas we wanted to see. Unfortunately it failed to work under no circumstances could I get the door to open I could hear the lock unlocking but it wouldn't open.
    The bodywork was not in the best condition lots of scratches and a pretty bad keying down the passenger side. The tyres needed changing so for the £3898 they were asking for it I would have to put a fair bit more in to get it up to standard. And would be outside my budget. And honestly my HR-V is in better condition.
    So the positives we got were that it is very spacious which meets our remit, there are plenty more out and about and the pre pre search will continue.
    I'll keep updating as I go on.

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Good luck with the search I have a gen 3 EX diesel full main dealer history and now has 103k on it. Its a fantastic car and won't be leaving our stable for a long time. Loads of space quiet, comfortable, economical, I can get almost 50 MPG out of it on a vey long run. Its great for our dog he sits on the back seat with a harness on and we slide the rear seats forward so he feels as though he is nearer to us, which in turn makes the boot even larger. All round great cars don't dismiss a gen 3 if you can stretch to it good luck with the search.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MickyB likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@MickyB

Good luck with the search!

Would you consider an estate, an Accord 7th Generation Tourer or even a Subaru - of do you want the higher entry / driving position?

Personally - and just to reassure yourselves that a CR-V is the right choice - I'd also look at a couple of other Japanese SUVs. The Suzuki Vitara and Toyota RAV4 spring to mind...

The Suzukis in particular represent good value for money.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 16v 5dr

dbrooks65 likes this.
  4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not looking for an estate the higher entry is a plus as my wife has rheumatoid arthritis and fells more comfortable and at ease getting in and out when it's higher.
    I will be looking at others Toyota I have great respect for as I had a Carina E 1.6xli estate from new it went to the scrap yard a couple of years ago as having 3 cars wasn't practicable but it still ran which was a credit to it.
    I like the look of the 2nd Gens and obviously want to stay with what I know and with Honda you know you are getting the best.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Good luck with the search @MickyB - hope you find a car which suits your needs.

MickyB likes this.
  6. What's your plans with the HR-V ??

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks
    - - - Updated - - -
    I was thinking of part ex or selling private.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Actually, having looked a bit this morning there are plenty of low mileage CR-Vs around that look - on the surface - to be in great condition. The majority are petrol from what I've seen.

This one looks especially nice...

Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC SE Sport Station Wagon 5dr

K24 CL9 GUY and MickyB like this.
  9. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Do you have an idea of what sort of price you will be looking at for it... I was looking out for one of these before I bought the Logo.

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My sister has a 2004 Rav4 and the CR-V feels a nicer car to be in.

Despite being a high end model with leather etc, it still feels a little basic compared to my dad's CR-V. That said, it was half the price.

MickyB likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Mid 2000s Toyotas was exactly when Toyota lost their intelligence and started to cut corners in relation to the quality of materials they used.

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not too sure haven't really thought down those lines yet.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Had a look at a couple yesterday and the wife was not impressed at all.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Probably a case of 'you get what you pay for.'

There is a reason why the CR-V holds onto its value so well...and that reason is desirability based on reliability.

MickyB and chunkymonkey like this.
  14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well the decision was taken out of my hands at 9.15hrs on Tuesday morning when I was rear ended by a 530 beemer at a set of traffic lights totally her fault I ended up on a spinal board with a neck brace in an ambulance and then hospital with whiplash,shoulder and chest injuries.
    The HR-V in the eyes of the insurance company even though she admitted liability is a write off. So I have been looking for a suitable replacement.
    Well yesterday after some deliberation we decided to buy this.
    image. 07 reg 2.0 i-VTEC one owner from new, full service history 67k miles and in very good condition.
    I will add it to my garage when I collect it hopefully next week.
    image. image. image.

15. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Sorry to hear about the accident and pleased your ok. Good choice on the CR-V, looks in great condition it should serve you as well if not better than the HR-V. May the poor thing rest in peace :Frown:

MickyB likes this.
  16. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Oh no sorry to hear about the accident but atleast has forced your hand on buying the new toy so will have something to play with once have fully recovered :Smile:

MickyB likes this.
  17. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Glad you are ok. The new toy looks very nice. :Niceone:

MickyB likes this.
  18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Sorry to hear about this @MickyB but hopefully the whiplash compo should cover a fair bit of the cost?

MickyB likes this.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The brake fluid and clutch master cyclinder fluid need changing ASAP mate they are jet black. If you need a power flush bring it over I will do it.

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I hope so as the market value on the HR-V won't be much especially now I've take the radio out of it.
    - - - Updated - - -
    No problem not sure when we are picking it up yet just enjoying being chauffeured around in the Sorentto.