Off-Topic Three songs...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Thursday 26th May, 2016.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

We've had a number of music and song related threads over time - novelty songs, Christmas songs, Brexit songs - as an example this thread is worth a look if you haven't seen it already;

Music videos | Page 2 (Off-Topic - )

Anyway, as we have a mixture of generations and ages here on HondaKarma, I thought it might be interesting to try something a bit different.

If you could only choose THREE songs that are important to you for some reason - could be the birth of a child, a relationship, a particular gig, a journey, or just a happy or sad time in your life (or any other reason for that matter) what would they be, and why?

Mine are pretty eclectic, as I think most will be - they aren't necessarily songs or artists that I love, but...having given it some thought:

1. Dido - Life for Rent. A weird one this, as I'm certainly not a fan, although it sums up what I think this thread should be all about. There was a time a few years ago that I was flying to the Far East a couple of times a year on business, and Virgin played this (for at least 2 years!) as the background music in the lounge and on the aircraft entertainment system prior to take-off and again after landing. Those were very happy times and great trips with fantastic people, and this song always makes me smile and remember them.

2. Carter USM - The Only Living Boy in New Cross. This one is simpler. Back to the early 1990's, I was a student and this was an anthem for a group of friends of the time. I never got to see Carter USM live, but if there is a song that takes me back to my student days (and the associated relationship disasters!) it is this one, although it was a close call with The Levellers and 'One Way.'

3. Lloyd Cole - Half of Everything. 'Don't get weird on me babe' is still in my top five favourite albums of all time, and I consider Lloyd Cole to be a musical genius. Anyway, this song was very relevant at a tricky time. "Just take half of everything and then, please go." That says it all I think...:Wink:

Choosing just three is VERY hard I found...:goodluck:
    Nighthawk, Nels and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Need to go and find my Carter USM cd
    FirstHonda likes this.
  3. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

For me as follows

1. Alice Cooper - Poison - This was the song that got me into music and especially my journey into hard rock and metal which I still love to this day ... nearly 27 years ago!
    I am a massive Coop fan because of this song which was released in 89!!

2. Queensryche - Eyes of a Stranger - My next favourite artist ... it has everything from soaring vocals, melody, dual guitars, and just damn fine song writing fro a concept album released back in 88!

3. Firehouse - When I look into your eyes - I guess i better put an event in ... Our Wedding song

Extremely hard to pick 3 but you gotta draw the line somewhere! :Smile:
    Nels and FirstHonda like this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

image. image.
    I still have the plain cardboard sleeve on the CD single bought back in the day...:Smile:
    Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@FirstHonda you do seem to like giving us difficult decisions. :telloff:

For me, this is probably one of the most difficult and I may never be able to pick just three.
    I like many different types of music from many different periods of time.

For this challenge I think it's best I concede defeat now :Whiteflag: as I just know I'll never be able to do it. :no: :Epic Fail: :sorry:
    BB Baboonface and FirstHonda like this.
  6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

its impossible ... i could change right now just cause my mood has changed!
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Now you see why I conceded defeat.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

What would Soichiro say about giving up that easily...?

BB Baboonface likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I have nearly 200 albums on the USB drive in my car. I play the music that reflects my mood at the time.
    There are quite a few combinations of 3 from that pool, so I could be here for quite some time...:Sobbing:
    Nighthawk and FirstHonda like this.
  10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

You can come back here every day :Wink:
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'd never be able to escape! :overtired::shock::overtired::shock::overtired:
    legend-ary likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've got over 1000 CD albums, 200+ CD singles, and nearly 5000 songs on various Spotify playlists and saved albums...:excited:
  13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland

BB Baboonface and FirstHonda like this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I just don't know how you picked 3!
  15. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

This is almost impossible - Three is a magic number - Need time to think !

16. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” —Plato

- - - Updated - - -
    When push comes to shove - here you have them - for a multitude of reasons

17. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom
    Like others here - I won't be able to pick out three. My music depends on my mood and will go Mozart to Rap in a matter of hours. I love 80s and early 90s, they probably hold my fondest memories and it would be impossible to pick just three from them, especially those key life changing moments as you went through those damn teenage years. I have songs that make me miss ex'es, friends, songs that make me tear up thinking of those I have lost due to violence etc, songs that have helped me tackle my own demons in life (which we all have if we are honest about it). I had a breakdown a couple of years ago and music played a huge part in pulling myself back in the right direction again. No way I could ever select just three.

I have over 100,000 mp3s on my main desktop and I set up winamp and just let them circulate as a big playlist with the exception of a few artists like Eminem due to the kids being around. My boys love 80s rock, so whenever that comes up, the volume goes up quite a bit :Grin:

I do however look forward to listening to some amazing classic songs from others on here. :Laughing:
  18. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

^^^^ Absolutey spot on @Nighthawk -

I've put three up , but there are so so many more and from so many different genres

Boss post @Nighthawk :Thumbup:. :Thumbup: :Thumbup:
    Nighthawk likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom
    For me, I think it would be easier to post up impactive songs, songs that have made me think, that have had a strong impact at a key stage in my life.

A close friend sent this to me when I was struggling with my breakdown - I really like the message it sends and its one of those obscure songs that isnt mainstream

vincemince likes this.
  20. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    These are currently top 3, it will change soon enough i suppose, but a snapshot of the moment.

Fairly new outfit these, but this one is honestly worth a listen if you don't mind some electronic stuff, poetic lyrics, and nicely written and weighted sound production IMO:

Hellish heavy this, but as a guy with some drums this appeals for its technical nature. The fella that writes the songs and plays lead guitar/yells teaches Jazz music theory in a Canadian college and you can hear some of that creep in to the solos:

Maybe some might remember the opening piano from some mobile phone ads a few years back, don't let that or the "DJ" prefix to the artists name put you off though, fond of the range emotion transmitted by this tune: