Engine & Gearbox Throttle hesitation and another problem

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by DanS, Tuesday 29th Dec, 2015.

1. DanS New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Dan Cambridge
    Hi Guys,

First time on the forum!

My 2.0l Petrol Honda CR-V VTEC Sport has developed a couple of problems recently...

There is a lot of throttle hesitation on the first (cold) start up of the day. As I try to pull away it's as if there is no power, then suddenly the revs shoot up, this happens in all gears for at least 20 mins after driving. The engine light has popped up once a couple of days ago but since then it has been off.

Also today, as I tried to pull away the revs dropped very low, almost a stall and then built back up again. This happened a few times before I was able to drive away.

Does anyone have any idea's? I have already checked the spark plugs, htc leads etc.

Thanks for any help, it's really appreciated :Smile:

Dan

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It can be anything really, to give a proper diagnose and fix someone needs to look at the car
    Other may come up some sort of solution or advise. Welcome to HK.

3. DanS New Member Getting Started

Cheers, I am planning to get it diagnosed when I can. Was just looking for advise.

Thanks for the reply though :Smile:

4. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    As said it needs looking at, but I would guess at a faulty water temperature sensor.

5. DanS New Member Getting Started

Just diagnosed it...

P0132 & P1298

This should help narrow things down a bit hopefully.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    P0132 is O2 sensor circuit high voltage

P1298 is Electrical Load Sensor

Question is which one is the cause. I recon you may have a wiring issue or O2 heater circuit failure which is also causing the P1298 ELD code to be thrown as the ELD has detected an unusually high electrical demand.

Try disconnecting your primary O2 sensor, clear the codes and run the car for a bit, go for a drive and see how the car performs.
    The check engine light will still illuminate as the O2 sensor is lit but the P1298 should no longer be present.

If so, then replace the O2 sensor.

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    P1298 is one of those misc codes from memory that really doesn't mean anything. It'll go when the other codes are cleared.

Go with the o2 sensor

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You can have an ELD failure but it's very rare. Starting with the O2 sensor is the right way to go here.