Pre-Facelift Model Throttle lag?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by kev600rr, Friday 27th Dec, 2013.

1. kev600rr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kev Yorkshire
    Hi All,

2004 Accord 2.0 petrol sport.

A little annoyance I've discovered and looking to iron out. Normal driving and at tick over the car is fine and runs flawlessly. However when accelerating harder and changing between 1st and 2nd there seems to be a 'lag' in response when getting back on the throttle. Generally happens when getting into a small gap on a roundabout when you want it to just pick up there's nothing then it just kicks in. It's been suggested to change the plugs first as it sounds ignition related. Whilst I'm doing this is there anything else to have a look at, valves to clean out, vac pipes to check?

Kev

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Carry out an EGR clean. There is a how-to thread on here somewhere.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. kev600rr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kev Yorkshire
    Thanks guys, just found your article CJ, sounds just like what I'm experiencing. I'll get some plugs and a gasket and have a go at that.

Kev

- - - Updated - - -

Have any of you guys cleaned the actual EGR valve itself?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    hi Kevin yes I have tried cleaning the EGR valve there is not a lot of carbon in it.

6. kev600rr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kev Yorkshire
    ******Update******
    So gasket arrived and I set about the task. Once opened up this is what I found;
    View attachment 12741

The old gasaket
    View attachment 12742

And the top plate

View attachment 12743

After a quick clean, well couple of hours;

View attachment 12744

Next I set about the throttle housing which looked like this to start with, note the black carbon ring;

View attachment 12745

Cleaned as best I could like this;

View attachment 12746

At the same time as this I also removed and checked the air filter (looked new) and removed and checked the spark plugs. Spark plugs looked in good condition however were only finger tight. Once all was back together throttle response feels better (more responsive) but I still have some lag when getting back on the throttle when changing up into 2nd.

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi

Interesting thread this, might have a go myself. But I cannot see any of your pictures. Says invlaid link when I click on each one?
    Be good to see what you found.
    Tony

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Kev just try reinserting the images click go advance then try if you post your images and click post quick reply the images will drop off in an hour.

9. kev600rr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kev Yorkshire
    So gasket arrived and I set about the task. Once opened up this is what I found;
    Top plate before.
    Old Gasket.
    Base before.

After a quick clean, well couple of hours;

Cleaned up ready to re-build with gasket.

Next I set about the throttle housing which looked like this to start with, note the black carbon ring;

Throttle housing before.

Cleaned as best I could like this;

Throttle housing after.

Hopefully that works, let me know if not and I'll load from home as the work PC is a bit tricky.

Kev

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good work Kev :GoodJob: as for the jerky 2nd gear that can be ironed out with a software update via the dealers. I had that on my car and it was gone.

11. kev600rr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kev Yorkshire
    Thanks for re-sizing the photo's CJ, do you know if they charge for the software update?

Tony, CJ suggested on the thread I followed to get a new gasket before you start which is sound advice :GoodJob:. As I found the gasket in reasonable condition I still fitted the new one but cleaned up and kept the original just in case I clean it out again in the future!:Happy:

Last edited: Wednesday 8th Jan, 2014
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate that was a caveat no two cars always behave the same and its always best pratice to be ready for the unexpected. if someone on here plans to do the same fix and theirs is perished then you can help out by selling it on!

The dealers may charge for this work fella ask them to look under the CL7 CM1 TSB for Engine Jerking and hesitation there is a CD they will need to order for the ECU update.

kev600rr likes this.
  13. kev600rr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kev Yorkshire
    Thanks for the sound advice CJ much appreciated. I'm off in a couple of weeks so may get it done then, I'll update on the findings.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. kev600rr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kev Yorkshire
    So, ECU update done today at Retford Honda and the lag has gone. The car is now running spot on!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear it's sorted.

How much did the dealers charge you for an update Kev ?