Engine & Gearbox tight atf dipstick on 2006 accord

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Tuesday 14th Oct, 2014.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    was checking the ATF fluid level today, thought I was gonna break the yellow pull handle off the dipstick as the rubber seal is a real tight fit in the tube , just as bad re-inserting along with getting the notch aligned, as well as just pushing the actual dipstick back into the tube feels like it's gonna bend before it goes all the way in!! anyone else found this with theirs?
    Cheers Pete

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    More like its the first time it's been tried to be opened and it's got a good seal. Try pulling from the rubber cap rather than the handle.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you tried to twist it first before pulling it. This should "unstick" it, once unstuck it should pull out.

4. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    I haven't but will give that a go mate, thanks
    Cheers Pete
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks also Ichiban I will try that also
    Cheers Pete

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pete were you able to pull the dipstick?

6. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Hi mate, yes I was able to pull it, as said it's just a tight fit (ooh er missus!LOL) also the dipstick itself is not the easiest to re-insert as it feels like it's being restricted when sliding it back down , to the point where it starts to bend, so have to move it about a bit to get it home, crazy really!
    Cheers Pete

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    LOL just smear the internal rubber with a light coating of petroleum jelly aka vasaline so the rubber is supple. :party:

8. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Got some plumbers grease kicking about somewhere, so may use that, petroleum jelly is good stuff but can attack rubber unfortunately.
    Cheers Pete

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Try ShinEtsu Rubber safe silicone gel, a small amount of Vaseline won't harm mate.

page__module__images__section__img_ctrl__img__675382__file__med

10. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Nice one mate, thanks for the heads up on that stuff, must get some of that, BTW is your car an Auto, if so how do you find the up and down shifts?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pete I am petrol head I love my manual gearboxes, however I am getting my Jazz Hybrid soon which will be my first CVT car so until then don't know. I have driven the odd courtesy cars and 8th Generation Accord auto boxes and all have been really good, they were all new so can't comment how they fair with age.

12. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Nothing wrong with being a petrol head mate, I'm a bit like it myself, mind you not quite as bad as I used to be!! with mine the box is fairly smooth does have this annoying bit if you put your foot down when it's in 3rd (I think or could be 4th, hard to tell as it's smooth changing up) and gives this slight jerk as it drops down and revs shoot up, have also found this on other autos, including a mazda 6 I had for a while, somehow I can't help thinking that all this advanced electronics nonsense controlling these boxes has something to answer for, as years ago for example I had a 1988 Vx carlton smoothest gearbox ever in that old beast , mind will be interesting to see how the box feels after the fluid change in a couple of weeks!

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pete how many miles you got on your Accord? if you did regular ATF flushes plus a ATF filter on your car the box will be transformed. Honda perform when they have fresh oil after 24 years of Honda ownership to get factory like performance fresh oil and make sure when it changed it fresh too.

For your sluggish trait does the box perform the same when in S mode? if so then oil change mate. Yes your are right the number of solenoids and electronic actuators involved in auto boxes makes the most DIYer take a step back and say Doc flux capacitor is a piece of cake.