Body, Paint & Styling TIL my Accord was possibly in a wreck prior I bought it...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Pilot, Sunday 21st Feb, 2016.

1. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    I've decided to go and do some pictures of my Accord today, it's somewhat cold and darkish day so it makes this specific car colour pop well in such weather. Came home and unfortunately I instantly realized that my front bumber isn't original. The color match on it is not too bad, you can't see it unless it's a picture, hence I didn't even know that for half a year now or so. It doesn't come up as ex CAT C or D either....so I am somewhat disappointed now...I wonder if there is more to it underneath. or perhaps it was just a cosmetic repair after relatively small impact...which I really hope.

Something I might have to ask a mechanic when I do my service I guess, and while I mentioned service...any idea roughly how much a full service costs at Honda for this type of Accord and whether I should go for cheaper option of going to perhaps KwikFit or something like that instead? Let me know, cheers.

8i41wtb.

Attached Files:

2. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Think it's £175 for a service at a Honda dealer.

Just a point to note about the colour match on these plastic bumpers - it's difficult to get a good match. Mine is the same. It hasn't been in an accident, just been repainted at my request when i bought it from a dealer due to imperfections. You can tell it's a slightly different shade - especially in photos

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the bumper is plastic and the wings aren't you'll get a difference in colour. The best car that hilights this is the Toyota Supra. Renault click 182 had plastic wings too so the colour was spot on.

I don't think your car will have been in an accident so don't worry.

4. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers guys, also I saw the bumper sort of not well connected even before buying as you can see in image below, it was possibly repainted just because of scratches which were visible in the listing, but upon checking it on site, I noticed they were gone...so maybe just a cosmetic thing in general. Any idea if it's easy to connect it back properly or/and how? Thanks again.

pZNY4gh.

Attached Files:

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Id first look on you tube for a video guide. If that failed I'd just start taking the clips out by the wheel arch and try to unclip that corner. If one clip wasnt lined up correctly and the bumper was forced on it would thriw it out.

You'll just need a dry day and a couple of hours. Take your time and you should be fine.

6. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    That just looks like the light hitting it at different angles to me, hence the reflective spot on the wing.

7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I wouldn't trust kick fit to change my tyre let alone let them service your pride and joy.
    If its not on the register its unlikely to be a c or d .
    People are wrongly scared off by these sometimes. Although a while back my friend also had an sd1 which was his pride n joy. While waiting at lights he was rear ended which only cracked rear bumper, the insurance firm wrote it off as uneconomical to repair. I worked for rover at the time and they were expensive. He got paid off, bought it back and enjoyed it for many years with a small scuff/crack in bumper.

8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I tend to agree, unless you know the mechanics at your local kwik fit.. I would be very wary as they are under big time and financial pressure to get work done which means the don't often do the best they can and miss things.

I would only go to a garage you trust or use on recommendation. its hard to find one these days but they do exist.

Honda will have a level of service to keep, but again unless you know them or they have a good reputation I would be careful.

Hold Croft Honda however have a superb reputation on here and many will say, worth the journey to ET the right service to your pride and joy.

9. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Someone somewhere has to pay for the beautiful chrome and glass showrooms and I'm afraid its normally us. I do however think ( or hope ) they should be on the ball by knowing faults and remedies inside out therefore saving hours of detective work at an independent.
    Its a shame where I live there's no one I could recommend to work on Hondas.(se London )
    The main agent ( Lookers ) have always been helpful and polite whenever I've asked for help or advise.
    But with labour rates over £100 an hour its doubtful I could afford them.

10. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, and I mean the labour rate is a problem in any make official dealership service...Been and done that with Vauxhall, Mistubishi so on...I mean I get it though, they can't just do people favours...at the same time I do believe the official dealership would be more careful with the service and definitely point out the issues from small to big, where as local services could perhaps either try hard to rip you off or not care whatsoever and may not even check what needs to be checked just so they can go to the next one.

Then again, dealership would charge you like £15 to change a light bulb, local service would probably do it for free out of good will. :Tongue:

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's difficult to get the colour to match exactly on the plastic to the rest of the bodywork. I think particular with the lighter colours.

White Orchid is a pig to match my rear bumper particularly is slightly different to the rest of the bodywork. Rear bumper has been repainted though so has thicker paint on it. Front isn't quite as bad but still not quite a match.

12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I'll tell you all now something I think is disgusting and wish at the time reported it to the likes of honest john etc. When I worked for rover we were sent a fax how to deal with and I quote old boy sindrome. Rover admitted they had a problem with the rover 100 ( metro ) engine. If an old boy drove it and never warmed it up ( short journeys etc ) it chocked the engine to death. We were told to drain the fuel tank, add three time of cleaner and let the spotty apprentice rag it around the block for an hour. If that didn't fix it we were told If the customer doesn't complain charge 100% engine strip and rebuild ! If they moan and are good customers give 50% good will gesture. If they rant n rave rover will pay 100% ! !
    - - - Updated - - -
    It makes me wonder DPF may be the same. Its useless unless you start the car and do at least 10 miles per journey which of course elderly shoppers don't . PS it was the same for fiat with their cinquecento

13. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

that's a good point. A friend of mines mother bought a Peugeot diesel on a recommendation. Drove it to the shop and back for a year and the DPF blocked beyond repair.

After much arguing, ranting, and threatening of legal action... peugot agreed for the car to be returned as it "was not fit for purpose" .

Which lets be honest if the DPF cannot handle regular short trips it isn't fit for purpose and we should all be made aware of its limitations before buying such a car.

14. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    One of our company cars was a pug diesel, on the whole it was a good reliable car. Only on high mileage did the DPF get clogged , and was a costly repair. The car drove a minimum of twenty five miles each journey so it wasn't a case of short journeys.
    I wonder how long it would have lasted as a shopping trolley !