Engine & Gearbox time to change the turbo, which one?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Brodziu, Saturday 30th Apr, 2016.

1. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Hi, it seems my turbo is dying so I'm thinking to get it changed, I'm not fancy to give my arm and leg for new one so I'd like to get reconditioned one ( or second hand?? ) , does anyone can recommend the place to get one from? I know about midland turbo, they give 2 yeras warranty for theirs reconditioned ones so not that bad I think, anyone used them?
    Another question is what turbo do I need? I've got 07 plate accord CN2, according to midland turbo website they have 3 different part numbers
    Midland Turbo
    also do I need a turbo from Accord or I can fit any from Ctdi engine ( Civic,FR-V,CR-V ) ?
    and lastly any DIY here how to change it? I'm not affraid of spanners so I think I can handle this :Smile:

thanks

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it's more time consuming than difficult, I had my CR-V turbo reconditioned by Honda under warranty and I think it was a good three hours plus to remove and then again to fit.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Recon is definetely the way to go - its £2.2k OEM

According to lings:
    Accord part number is 18900RBDE03
    Civic - 18900RSRE01
    CR-V - 18900R06E01

They all appear different physical designs and prices too. The Civic is under £2k, whereas the CR-V is just over £2.6k
    Looks like you will have to get the one for the Accord specifically.

Zebster likes this.
  4. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Thanks for reply guys, well midland turbo don't even have that part number in the list, not sure if there's difference between pre-facelift and facelift?

5. Nighthawk Guest

Lings is confusing here, shows 4 different turbos for the PFL, but three of them have the same number as the Accord one posted above, with the 4th being 18900RBD305

It looks like it is compatable but I would not put money on that. The FL one seems pretty concrete, the PFL isnt.

Have you enquired about the cost of getting your current one refurbed?
    - - - Updated - - -
    This website, upon searching for your car, instantly pinged up the first OEM part number I posted for the N22A1 engine and shows a difference in the other CTDi engines too which, to me, further cements the fact that you will have to get an Accord one.

Honda Turbochargers | GAP Turbos

6. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
  7. Nighthawk Guest

I would call HH up mate, they can tell you exactly what turbo is fitted to your car through your chassis number. I would look at refurbing your current one if it was my car, less of a minefield then. Thats what I did when my VSA module decided to go on holiday. No idea what that site I linked you to is like, but they refurb turbos from 235 +VAT, so just under £300.

8. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Thanks, I'll call HH on Monday, I'll defo get a reconditioned and it would be great if they would have it on the shelf so I can get straight away instead of waiting for it to be done.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

Good luck, keep us updated

10. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Will do. Thanks

11. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Unfortunately HH said that they won't give me a part number or any number which is on turbo, instead I got a price which is £2100 :excited:
    Anyone know what would be the part number or where can I get one from?
    Thanks

12. Nighthawk Guest

I would take the turbo off and have a look - the part number should be stamped on it. A bit of a pain but at least then you will know. (I am assuming it will be stamped on there - they normally are)

13. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I'll take the heat shield off and hopefully I'll be able to see the turbo number, it's not a honda part number but it should tell me what turbo I need

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    Take a look at turbo dynamics website. They're listing the part number that nighthawk found for just under 900 quid new, It's a Garrett gt17 vent. I've not used TD personally but they have a good reputation, and you'll be buying exactly the same turbo for less than half the price if it does happen to be that turbo fitted to your car.

15. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Thanks, yesterday I've ordered one from GAP turbos so should be here on Monday, £314 for refurbed turbo with 2 years warranty so not that bad IMO.

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    Yeah that's definitely a good deal for a refurb.

17. Nighthawk Guest

Glad you got it sorted mate.

DIY showing how to change it would be great as well if you could do one

18. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I'll try to do something but I can't promise many pictures though :Wink:

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Find out what is the process for their refurbihsment?

20. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    They said they're replacing all internal parts so in fact only casing comes from used turbo, shaft is balanced and that's it I belive.

Nighthawk likes this.