Engine & Gearbox Time to Crank

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by DeviateDefiant, Saturday 16th Mar, 2013.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've noticed my starter takes around 2 seconds to crank the engine after the ignition is turned, whether from key out or with the sitting power on before hand. Whether the engine is warmed through or not doesn't seem to make a difference either.

I'm not quite sure how old my battery is (haven't checked, and it's a Halfords 3rd party) but I've got new sparks and fresh oil otherwise.

Is this normal for a 7th Generation?

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd say that's definitely not normal.
    Should fire straight away, sounds like its taking a second or so to turn off the immobiliser.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Mine fires up pretty quick.

Possible causes that come to mind are battery, starter, earthing, coil pack/s, spark plugs, injector issue, compression issues ... probably others too.

When was the car last serviced ?

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine is the same since i bought it,sometime it doesnt even start first time.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I think battery could be a possibility, I haven't looked at the coil pack yet so I'm not sure of it's condition. CJ pointed out to me that the fact I have an air bag warning light on could be to do with earthing.

I should probably note here that I occasionally get some hesitation in 2nd, if I gear up to 3rd beforeI should (we're talking 10-20mph here) it goes away. I'd put it down to build-up in the throttle body/EGR valve.

Last service was all of a week ago by myself, that was oil change/filter, sparks, then air/cabin filter. The car hasn't been properly examined since I brought it other than a quick inspection while it was up on ramps.

EDIT: Earthing not Earthling :lol:

Last edited: Sunday 17th Mar, 2013
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes it is normal fella 7th & 8th Generation Honda Accord Long Crank Times?

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Thanks for the heads up CJ, any ideas whether I'm barking up the right tree on clogged EGR/Throttle body being the cause of some minor hesitation in low gears?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TBH that will take time to get used to it. The DBW throttle body which leads to the kangaroo effect. With time you will learn the throttle feel.

if you still have this issue try this http://hondakarma.com/threads/1669/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How many miles has it covered ?

Have the valve clearances been checked ?

There's no EGR on these. Worth cleaning the throttle body but I think it's either a duff coil pack or you have a timing issue. Have the valve clearances checked and whilst the rocker cover is off, have the timing belt checked and make sure timing marks line up.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is a EGR plate on the 7th Generation 2.4 bud.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:Aghast: :Blushing: :telloff:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Remove the silver 2.4 cover and you will see it . It does not have the EGR valve like the 2.0 on the head