Engine & Gearbox timing chain kit

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dean, Tuesday 11th Jun, 2013.

1. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi all
    could someone give me a ball park price on a timing chain kit for a 2.4 ,looks as though mine has streched an jumped a cog,no damage thank god but getting error codes.83-1,ECM ,57-3 cmp sensor,41-5 and this all points to a chain change :-( also chain appears slack even when running

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you taken the cam cover to see there is slack ? Sometime in rare occasion the tensioner is stuck due to dirty oil just tap it it will release the spring loaded adjuster. Chains won't stretch unless they have had poor oil changes or some solid thrashing or over revving ..is that the case on your car?

Those DTC code what did you read it with not code I have seen before.

3. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok read by good local garage, yes the cam cover was off checked the tensioner myself free, i drive hard but not a "thrasher" but i cannot vouch for previous oweners also just about time the prob occured the car cut out a few times on rev drop down to idle checked oil and it was fine and then it stopped cutting out on its own( did the ECU learn and adapt ?) but research sujested a low oil presure can cause the tensioner not to actuate and so may have alowed the chain the to jump as just reseting the timing is in it self a big job and i love my accord would like to replace chain etc at same time

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    low oil pressure to the head can be a jammed VTC solenoid valve and oil stainers. Have a search I have done a DIY on this rule out the basic before you go into hardware mode swapping parts.

dean likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will try to see if I can cross reference those DTC to see if the VTC is moaning. whatever you do don't wash the actuator in harsh chemicals,brake cleaners or carb cleaner. just soak it in brake fluid and scrub it gently with a soft bristle brush.

6. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok will check but would still like a price for the chain kit. any ideas? and thanks ichiban for the advice, very much welcomed

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No no joy with those codes.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    E__1100.

You will need to change these parts if you want to get a reliable service out of the car.
    Item 8
    14401-PPA-004) CHAIN (176L) (BORG WARNER) £106.85
    Item 9
    14510-PRB-A01 TENSIONER ASSY., CAM CHAIN £84.68
    Item 11
    14520-PPA-003 ARM COMP., CAM CHAIN TENSIONER £80.41
    Item 12
    14530-PPA-003 GUIDE COMP., CAM CHAIN £70.82

I would speak to HH for our club rates also best practice would be to change the item 6 and 7 if the chain is worn and stretched then the sprockets will be worn too. Have a look at them when you strip them closely.

Personally it will be the stainers junked up with dirt causing the VTC to advance too much.

if you are going for a VTC mod or you have a modified engine with a remap then you should change the tensioner to this one K-Series Timing Chain Tensioner - Skunk2 Racing Europe

9. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok guys timing chain,both guides, tensioner,rocker gasket,new drivebelt ,two related seals .plus oilchange and filter changed with labour cost £800 ,car now drives fantastic may have been a bit cheaper if i sourced the parts my self and didnt have a few not needed items done ie oil ,drive belt etc but like to do things right very happy chappy now. A big THANKYOU to ichiban for all the advice

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff & :GoodJob: any pictures of the install and the timing chains?

11. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

sorry didnt think of taking pics