Suspension, Steering and Brakes tink / dink metallic click noise..... coming from???

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Friday 23rd Aug, 2013.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

My Accord tourer 2.4 manual with 70K on the clock as developed a strange noise. Randomly but pretty much every journey I make I can hear a fairly loud tink/dink metallicy click noise. The noise is a single click/dink and does not repeat more than once at each occurance. I cannot for the life of me make it happen on request, I have tried aceelerating, braking, turning swtiching things on and off. Its seems random but fairly loud that I can sometimes here in the cabin (I always hear it if the window is down though)

its annoying me and I have no idea where to start looking. My last line of thought was, I wonder if it could be the suspension strut spring moving slightly clausing a click. But I have no way to prove. I also thought it might be a brake pad moving in the caliper but its so random I cannot tell.

I think its coming from the front drivers side but again I cannot prove it.

Does any body have any clues what it could be or where I should start to investigate? Its starting to annoy me and appears to be getting worse.

Car drives fine with no issues.

Thanks
    Tony

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    If you reckon it's coming from the brakes then I'd probably jack the car up, wheel off and start inspecting all the brake components first and go from there. Maybe check the exhaust also, brackets/mounts etc.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

cheers.
    Thats one thing I also supect is an exhaust mount or joint. I rekon its going to be a long journey to find the source of this noise!!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Get the front of the car jacked up and check the anti roll bar drop links. The can make some very loud (and random) thuds when worn out.

5. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    mines doing the same, also started random, but its consistent, when going over a bump, or when de-revving quickly (as in flooring it in second then pushing the clutch in probably the shift in weight) and for me its the compliance bushes in the wishbones (biggest ones towards to front of the car)

:Smile:

6. 098Joe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got fairly consistent knock when pulling away from standstill. Garage says there is play in O/S/F upper ball joint (on the wishbone)

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys, I have no choice but to jack the car up and have a poke around. Its oil change time soon anyway so I'll get the crow bar out and have a poke around. I am hoping its just the anti roll bar drop links but we shall see.

Cheers
    Tony

8. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    brake pads sliding in the carrier.

Also the rear shoes on the tourer can move with the drum and if you lift it slowly when driving you can hear a definite thump as they slide back into the forward position after a hill start or similar. That would of course depend on how far they have been adjusted

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks Pete, I recently fitted new disks and pads on the rear and had to adjust the handbrake shoes. Not a fan of the set up as they are a bugger to adjust and I am sure mine are rubbing slightly, I can hear it when going slow. But the noise was there before I did this.
    Still I guess I cannot rule it out as a possibility.

10. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I LOVE the handbrake in the tourer, it is almost joyous to use.

I adjusted mine up until they locked, then backed them off one click - got a bit of rubbing for a few days, but they soon found their home.

Rear calipers on mine seem to be an ongoing issue, I rebuilt them, but they have seemingly done the typical honda thing and seized themselves again. I get a lovely deep squealing noise when the brakes are hot, but that is cured with a heavy dose of left foot brake whilst accelerating to free them off - not ideal, but I havent had the time to fix it properly. I do however now need yet another set of rear pads due to this. Will sort it out once I have a free day to do so.

i know when I got my new pads, I was supplied the wrong ones twice, the other fit, but were loose until I finally got them to send out the right set.