General Tip from the trade - crank pulley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beefy, Thursday 11th Jun, 2015.

1. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    For you I-CTDI owners it's becoming more common to see crank pulleys become noisey or even fail. Signs of failure can be intermittent ticking from the belt area and a visible wobble.

In the main it seems to happen on more high mileage engines.

A lot more common is oil leaks from the crank oil seal or above. This in itself is bad enough but if not sorted out engine oil makes the rubber damper in the crank pully swell and eventually fail.

The crank pulleys fitted to diesels comprise of an inner hub and outer race separated by rubber. This is basically a damper to lessen engine vibration.

The big tip here is if you have an oil leak around this area don't just ignore it! Crank pulleys are expensive to replace and fixing that oil leak in time can save you that £400

image. image.

See how the rubber has swelled Behind the pulley. This then rubs constantly against the chaincase creating annother noise in itself. And the other picture shows where it was rubbing and extent of the oil leak from the crank oil seal in question.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    And good luck with getting the pulley bolt undone!

Beefy likes this.
  3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    A good point @Zebster . You need a pulley locking tool to remove and the 19mm nuts can be rediculously tight! I've used 1/2in bars with the equivalent length of over 8 foot with exhaust pipe as a lever and almost snapped the pulley holding tool. Different people have there own methods for undoing the nut at home.

This is a high difficulty rating because of the struggle it can be to remove the crank pulley

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you have the right tools then its easy you don't get tourettes syndrome and break things. You don't need luck you need the right tools ..simples

Tools - Tool Index[

People ignore it as its a oil burner they piss, smoke,fart,stink, rattle,shake & leak aint that the diesel experience so why you surprised mate...

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are you trying to push Ed China out of a job beefy?

Beefy likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why not beefy loved japs cars and that tall dude doesn't so go for it beef.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Lol. I could start my own YouTube channel. prob end up looking like the halfords adverts on Dave.

Pottermus likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I had the correct pulley locking tool. And - after trying to undo that wretched bolt for about an hour - I then also had several sheared 1/2" drive extensions (one of which flew up in the air, hit the garage ceiling and then dented the wing when it came back down). And then the next day I managed to burn out an electric impact wrench trying to shift it. Dear God, that bolt was astonishingly tight!

A breaker bar to the floor and operating the starter motor in bursts eventually shifted that bolt with a massive scary bang. Undoing it in this manner may have made me a redneck, but I was a very happy redneck.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've broken a few extension bars myself undoing crank :party:bolts on K series engines (sorry I don't touch diesels at all) I'd imagine they are even more torqued up on a diesel.

I always cover the extension and the join onto the breaker bar with a cloth, that way if something does let go at least it doesn't go flying off anywhere !

Great idea with "Tips from the Trade..." @Beefy :Thumbup:

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    There must be a proper and easy way of undoing the crank bolt? Whats the official Honda way?

Also do petrol engines have that rubber damper? Reason I ask is I drove around with a leaking crank seal for around 1.5 years. :Messed:

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Beefy described the official method of getting it off :-

exec likes this.
  12. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    The intermittent ticking is what I have, no wobble. Hard to tell if it's the pulley or the chain ...

13. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    A torque multiplier and the 50mm Honda internal socket tool will make easy work of the pulley bolt removal.

Beefy likes this.
  14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Not tried a torque multiplier yet. I've got an expensive snap on breaker bar that hasn't failed me yet!

15. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It does take some shifting. With a 15:1 TM it's like having fifteen mates helping and you don't have to buy them a drink afterwards.

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I don't see how using a torque multiplier stops you breaking your socket set extensions?

I was able to apply plenty of torque by just using a long breaker bar and my considerable mass (thanks, Greggs!)... I can easily generate over 500lb.ft. of torque without even using tube extensions for extra leverage, as described by Beefy. The problem is delivering all that torque onto the bolt head while only be able to use 1/2" drive sockets (you cannot use larger 3/4" drive sockets because the clearance hole in the pulley locking tool isn't big enough to allow this).

17. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Forget the theory ....................................It works

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I found this... Torque multiplier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks like a fantastically useful tool and much, much safer than using a long breaker bar (especially if you have to also extend the leverage using additional pipes). I really wish I had one!

But - now I've read the linked WP article and understand how these rather neat multipliers actually work - there's obviously no way at all that it reduces the torque loading on the socket set extensions. In my case (where the bolt was somehow locked in unbelievably tightly) I would still have suffered the exact same breakage problems. Unless, of course, these torque multiplier tools are supplied with uprated extensions and sockets (in the same way that impact drivers are)? That would make sense.

19. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It wasn't mine ...........................................All I can tell you is that it was a Norbar make. 15:1 ratio and it worked like a dream. The sod of a nut was loose as easy as winking. I asked him if I could borrow it if I ever needed to use it again. He refused saying that they are never returned.