Pre-Purchase To buy or not?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Kris81, Friday 11th Sep, 2015.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, I would appreciate some advice on a car I've seen for sale.

It's a 05 accord ctdi sport. It's done 177k miles and the advert says it has good service history. The price is £1450 ono .

I'm gonna message him later, what are the common faults I need to find out if they have been done?

Would u guys entertain one with that mileage on? And it's in Ireland, is there anything I need to do to bring it over here?

Cheers look forward to hearing from you guys.
    Now I'm of to bed after nights. Zzzz

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Timing chains, clutch/DMF and exhaust manifold cracking are all common failure items on these early pre-facelift Accords. So check the history to ensure that these have all been done.

Bringing it over from ROI might be more trouble than it's worth? NI should obviously be more straightforward.

The mileage wouldn't put me off but it is high and, taking it into account, I think it's a little over-priced. Is it on at a dealer?

3. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You could go all that way and discover it's a real dog!

5. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yep, that's my biggest fear, I might steer clear of that one.

Is there much difference to cruising in a 6 speed to a 5 speed? Are the revs abit lower lower in the 6 speed?

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The mileage is high and it doesn't seem to bother people but I always think to myself, that engines been spinning for a long time and so have those wheel bearings, drives shafts and gearbox components. And spinning for a long time is the cause of normal wear and tear no matter how you look after it. Do you see many cars for sale over 200K miles?? certainly a handful but not many, and that kind of tells me something.

There are arguments for both low and high mileage cars and the price should always reflect that. for me I prefer the low milers. My previous Civic was a 1998 Civic (7 years ago) with 28K on the clock and I ran it to 130K with no issues. Still going ok as a work horse by its next owner but it is showing its age now.

Given the mileage and the cars location.. for me I would leave well alone and find one closer.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm gonna leave it for now.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    At that Mileage 99% have no meat left anyway the Lions have cleared up for the Hyenas to clean up.That 1% is very rare to find a car in mint shape.

9. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think the main reason that you don't see many cars over the 200k mark is simply because once cars reach that sort of mileage they are 10-15yrs old and have too many other issues to make it worth keeping them going. I've seen many cars with well in excess of 200k on the clock that run smooth as silk (my brother in laws 99 Volvo being just one of them)... on that one the autobox gave up at around 250k and simply isn't worth repairing anymore on a car that was worth sub £1000.

So it's the mechanics of the engine that make then rare, but the value of the car as a whole that makes normal maintenance and repairs uneconomical.

Mines now on a 157k, one previous owner and a full Honda service history to 152k... currently working on preventative maintenance and minor things to ensure the engine is working at peak efficiency,

As for the car the OP is looking at... I'd look for something closer... a budget of £3k would mean £2.5k on a car with some left over for minor remedies. That's what I had planned and in the end I got mine for £1650 and £600 trade in for my Mondeo... which is just about right for a tourer exec

10. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    i don't know alot about cars but look at thet mileage, 177k is a hell of a lot, who knows how much longer it will last, i say stay clear

11. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've just used a taxi company running a Ford Galaxy diesel with 290K on the clock full main dealer history and maintained and pampered its whole life however....
    On speaking to the guy the engine was actually rebuilt at 200K due to major carbon build up causing poor running and various other faults at the princely sum of £8000!

I haven't bought a car for £8000 ever! So if your planning on running a car into the ground high milers make some sense but if not then look else ware!

12. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Change of plans, I'm sticking with my accord CL9 and golf diesel, both are running well so......

I'll only be buying someone else's problems!
    - - - Updated - - -
    You would have thought the taxi firm would have just binned it at that price!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just for the record my golf tdi has 257k on it and my accord has 149k.
    Never intentionally looked for high milers, it just turned out that way.

13. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

HOW OFTEN DID YOU GET THEM SERVICED? im planning on keeping mine long term thats why

14. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The golf is new to me, but I've done a full service as soon as I got it, and the accord I do every year, about 10k miles.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Service Honda's regularly and they just go on and on, simplez !
    - - - Updated - - -
    What was your reason for wanting an I-CDTI @Kris81, was it for the economy ?

16. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

how often is regular? once a year?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

At minimum every 10K or 1 year whichever comes first.

18. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

cuz last service was 14 months ago, might have to take it in

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yep, get it done !

20. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee short answer yes.

Long reason why.......
    I've been waiting a good while now for a place to come up in a company I want to work for, which will require a 280 mile drive twice a week.

I've recently acquired a golf tdi which some might already know. It was meant to be a fixer upper and be used for the journey, I've been using it for the last 2 months and it has had its problems, which at the time of this original post I was considering selling up the CL9 and golf and go back to just 1 car the ctdi, as I like the look of the accord. And just having the golf is costing me £40 a month in tax and insurance.
    But since then the golf has been fixed, turned out to be a wheel bearing which I changed myself (as the golf was something to practice my mechanics on and gain experience) so I'm using it as a work car atm, it's half the price to run than the CL9 so in a way running both cars is cheaper than just running the CL9 on its own.

Once I get this job I need a month or so of work then I could free up some cash to possibly lpg the CL9. As I know that car is gonna run forever!
    But I do like the range u get from a diesel, 700miles to a tank vs 300? LPG
    I guess I'll have to think that over abit more when I'm at that point.

On a funny note my wife and my dad told me straight I was not allowed to sell the CL9!
    Ha ha.