General Tokyo Motor Show 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Wednesday 28th Oct, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Lots of new news has come out of the Honda camp recently as you have probably read, but some other interesting cars at the show, the new RX9 concept, what a beauty.

Yamaha have also got a car concept, always wondered why they never made a production car, well they had one attempt that was shelved, but they are a great engineering company, this concept looks cool

http://cdn-6.motor1.com/p/static/im...s-ride-concept-yamaha-sports-ride-concept.jpg

The Subaru Impreza and Lexus LS concept are also looking very nice!

legend-ary likes this.
  2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I agree the RX concept looks beautiful. In an age of creases and swipes and cuts this is a welcome surprise.

3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

They've had RX9 concepts for about the last 6yrs... and still we don't have a production one.

I wish they'd fill the gap and bring back something like the old MX6, make it a hybrid with a small petrol engine just to charge the batteries and electric motors on the rear wheels.. Would go like stink and get decent MPG's

4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    This is the real deal, whether they will make the production car like that is another thing, the concept is a thing of beauty, honestly the prettiest car I have seen in a long time, as legendary said its refreshing to see something that is clean and elegant in an age of bulbous and over fussy designs. Mazda are on a roll with their designs, the whole range looks superb inside and out, they are the like the Italians of the Jap motor industry.

legend-ary likes this.
  5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

@exec I completely agree... I owned more than a few MX6's in my time and ran the UK owners club for 7yrs... it finally closed in 2013 after I'd tried for 8-9 months to get some one to take it over.

They went down a bad path at the very end of the nineties into the early 2000's... as shown by the last of 323 and 626 models. But they pulled it back with the 3 & 6 models which have gotten stronger with each update and redesign. The fact that many a ford (Focus and Mondeo) are based of the Mazda chassis shows how good they are.

But for some reason they remain a niche market and in the sports coupe market they're non existent any more. The RX8 is long past it's prime and was never a pretty car to begin with... but the rear suicide doors were a touch I loved. The MX6 was never replaced and the MX5 is simply to small. They need a sporty 2 door coupe that isn't a rotary. perhaps a variant of the RX9 badged as an MX7 with a more normal powertrain (or hybrid as I suggested before)

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I think world has closed its doors on budget sporty 2 door coupes. Think of all the casualties

Integra
    Prelude (although Accord Coupe fills that gap)
    MX3
    MX5
    Celica
    Silva/S13/S15
    RX7/RX8
    Starion

VAG tried Scirocco but it has been the same since 2008.
    but now they are making a slow comeback. GT86 was a bold move by Toyota and with their new S-FR they are really going for it!

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Even the GT86 is not selling as well as it should be, I think probably the power output and price of the car put people off.

I remember looking at buying a 323F BA as my first car, love those cars, and I noticed quite a big difference in quality between the early versions and the ones from 97 when Ford took over, lots of cost cutting everywhere. I love the RX8 too, I think its a pretty car whilst at the same time muscular looking, if they werent so high maintenance and expensive to run I would take a punt on one. What Mazda should do is make a coupe based of the 6, I think they did a concept for it, but i'm not convinced it would sell well though.

8. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That's exactly what the MX6 was... a coupe based of the 626 GE chassis... which ford then used as the basis for the Probe a couple of years later.

The problem is that Mazda have never really had a big marketing push... they had the 'Zoom Zoom' thing a decade or so ago... But I've not seen a Mazda advert on TV for many, many years and that's a shame because they make some great cars.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I've seen a couple of ads in last few years, current one is for the CX3 I think, but Mazda are a very small company so they are never going to be a big volume big selling manufacturer, but I think thats part of their attraction as they an interesting left field choice to your humdrum Ford's. VW's and Toyota's.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    legend-ary likes this.
  11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Ah.. I love the new Alto's retro looks,, the three slots in grill, the squarish headlamps.. the middle years were not as mad.. this looks quite like the 1989 version..
    http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/wor...12/11/Suzuki-Alto-Works-RS-X-CA72-640x448.jpg

but then again I have a soft spot for Altos.. It was my first car.. and my second.. still have one from 1985 back home :Grin:

exec likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah I see... "first love" :Wub:

legend-ary likes this.
  13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

hahaha :Grin: :Wink:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I must need new glasses the damn thing looks bloody awful, its the sandal wearing geek with a posh frock. I used to work for Suzuki in the early mid nineties they were strange then and still are. Engine as free revving and pretty reliable.

wcf-suzuki-alto-works-suzuki-alto. wcf-suzuki-alto-works-suzuki-alto-works.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looks familiar ...

Wait I got it

Mater_4_7146.

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think that looks fab! Reminds me of a 1990s Daihatsu. Which is a good thing...

18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

ok I admit its a bit fat and tall like a wagon R but I like the outside styling actually.. dash looks like a decade old though

19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You guys are boring, these are proper funky design, eccentrically Japanese! I love it, so much better than the hoards of bland euroboxes everywhere, I love it when a car manufacturer has its own identity, that why I like those Citroen's too, like the cactus, looks superb, typically Citroen. :Thumbup:

FirstHonda likes this.
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is eccentric then there is shyte, this wins the shyte award with gloss all day long. This is not even bordering on boring either.