Electrical & Lights Top centre LCD fault

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Chrispy, Saturday 14th Jun, 2014.

1. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Hey guys,

The LCD screen that displays the clock, radio info and temp top of the centre console, more towards the top of the dash than anything has died on my car,

Its an intermittent issue, If I apply pressure to the plastic surround it appears to reappear, but as soon as I release pressure it dies again. It does come on by itself from time to time but its really bugging me :Frown:

I believe it is not a power issue but a data issue, as the screen still powers, and does in fact display, very dim however only barley visable,

How would I get to the back of the LCD so I can check the connections to ensure nothing is loose,

I got as far as removing the gear stick surround, and the ashtray surround but then got stuck on the flappy dvd player opening, has anyone else ever had this issue.

Chrispy :Wink:

2. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Just thought I'd check the guides to see if there was anything on there in relation, the closest I could find was how to fit the Auxillary port to the radio, looking through the how to guide it would appear the top of the centre just pops off from the front, thank god for that I'm going to give it a go later and check the connections, fingers crossed its just a loose wire or something :Messed:

FYI THIS ONE: "xcarlink" MP3 Unit Install • Honda Karma

I thought I would of had to start from the bottom and work my way up,

I'll let you guys know what I find, hopefully I'll not need a new screen.

Chrispy.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

IIRC, the intermittent display problem can be caused by corrosion on the connector or problems with the soldered joints on the board.
    Once you've released the air vents unit, you can remove the board.

radio lcd.

I will try and find the thread, but this should help for now.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nels likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

6. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Interesting, thank you for the thread :Grin:, I lifted the console out and removed the LCD screen and took it inside for a closer look, no corrosion found, however the plastic casing wasn't securely fitted, so I made sure it was on properly when re-securing. I checked the cables on the connector were terminated, which they were, still crimped into place. Seeing no obvious signs of damage I re-assembled it to the plastics, fit everything into place, applied pressure to the plastics and it was on, throughout. A bit confusing to be honest, however I will be keeping a close eye on it to see if it re-occurs, Fluxclene at the ready :Wink:

7. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Well it didn't work, perhaps a temporary fix, I'm guessing there is a dry joint somewhere hidden on the PCB, so the electronics engineer that I am, rather than just cleaning, I removed the LCD screen and went over the solder joints as mentioned in the thread HVAC - Central info unit (clock/aircon/radio) flickers on and off, I have refitted it and it seems solid, regardless to how many times I bang and tap the plastic surround, I will keep you posted if this doesn't fix the issue :Smile: hopefully this has sorted it.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good to know we have a work around now.

9. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    So far so good :Smile:

hondream, SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I had to do the same thing recently with my (cloned) HDS.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They don't make soldering wire like they used to this Pb free solder is no good.

12. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Woaaah, I'm old school, leaded all the way...the smell is worth it alone....

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Still having issues, I've tried to isolate the unit from the dash to see if pressure on the cable was causing it to disconnect, god knows will have it out and look at it again when the weathers good again :Wink:

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Is it easy to inspect the wiring loom that goes up to the display ?

15. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Its all cable tied in, but you can check it for visible damage, all looks good I've given the cables an individual tug from the connector to see if any were loose or not terminated correctly however they were solid, the only place I can think of checking now is the pins on the other side of the PCB of where the connectors actually connects to the LCD screen, It appeared to be covered and would require a but more of a strip down to get to it, but I'm out of ideas now, its defiantly a lot more stable than what it was now, I mean its been off twice in two weeks everyday use, where are previously it was off pretty much all the time, it could just be the pins on the connector aren't making good contact resulting in intermittent issues, when a bang on the centre console brings it sporadically back to life, you'd like to think it was something simple eh :Wink:

I'll keep you guys posted on how I get on when I can be bothered, I have break callipers to clean and paint soon, once my paint and two ton hydraulic jack arrives! :Grin: wheyhey

Chris. :Drums:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looking forward to seeing your painted calipers bud,remember nor to get paint on the bleed nipple threads.

17. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Ichiban you already have I think!

The Beast! • Honda Karma

:Smile:

Still havn't got round to stripping the LCD screen, but I will eventually when i can be bothered, it is really bugging me at the moment :Tongue:

18. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Well....I had a good look this time, see some pictures attached, I removed the top part of the dash and wacked on the ignition, I found that apply pressure top to bottom as if to bend the trim downwards the screen failed to display the data however still had power (backlight was still going strong) keys out I took the LCD off and powered it up again this time not attached to trim (two small self tappers)

So I stripped it out and again had a good look, this time a bit more in depth, I looked for dry joints, and corrosion but it was clean, and still functioned flawlessly when not fitted to the trim, and then is dawned on me.....

I have worked on LCD screens similar to the Accords and know the slightest of pressure on the PCB, not the LCD can cause it to not display any data, where as pressure to the LCD itself usually causes distortion as the liquid inside the display is displaced as a result of the pressure, you could try it on your monitor if its an LCD. This is why digitisers on most phones are solid and have a small trim to take the pressure of "touching" lol...displacing it to the casing and not the display itself.

The actual plastic brackets on the LCD are of two parts, the main casing and the front black trim that shadows or hides areas of the LCD that aren't to be visible from the cabin, the front plastic cover resides over the main casing with holes located where the bracket is to affix the LCD to the plastic trim / dash so what I believed was a serious issue could of just be a result of the LCD being fixed to tight. The plastic casing I suspect has either warped due to the heat (it does get warm) and as a result applies pressure gradually onto the PCB. This coupled with being screwed in to tight doesn't offer and room for it to flex.

I read on another forum it lasts longer in the cold, and well we've had some great weather as of recent so I guess that ties in.

So I've fit it all back in, but this time after screwing in (not even hand tight, it is plastic overall) I came off it one full turn, ignition back on, I tried to flex the trim and it was solid.

Now I'm not getting my hopes up as it was like this last time, but I am much more confident that this may be the reason behind it all.

I'll keep you guys posted, also see attached / below for some snaps I took as reference :Wink: fingers crossed eh!

Chris.

:Drums:

20140708_212423. 20140708_212433. 20140708_212446. 20140708_212710. 20140708_212829. 20140708_213610.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Top job Chrispy, some very scientific analysis of the problem, hopefully this time you have nailed it (or should that be "you've unscrewed it"). :Smile: