Off-Topic Top Gear British Manufacturing Tribute

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunkylover53, Sunday 4th Aug, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I enjoyed today's episode a lot and thought the season finale was very fitting

I'm sure many of you guys saw the Jazz, CR-V and Civic at various parts of the film :Smile:

Does make me wonder how much scaremongering the tabloids do regarding how all of our manufacturing is on the decline, more unemployed engineers etc and how it just unnecessarily disheartens people.

What are your views on this issue?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Did not see it will catch up on BBCi-Player before I comment on Swindon Gestapo.

3. rotation Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A bit unfortunate:
    QHvbk9e.
    Fell free to voice any thoughts on that.

4. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    This actually really annoyed me despite how little it actually affects my life.

BBC went from giving every British Petrolhead a sense of patriotism, a nice warm fuzzy feeling, only to be followed by pro-German guff and in depth discussion about how terrible the British really are.

Seemed to annoy Mr Clarkson too...
    Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 23.40.58.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hahahaa they just called it Das Auto after TG. International trade etc - hopefully all for the best.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

A few times over the past couple of years I have thought that Top Gear TV has "jumped the shark" and should take a break...but then along come the last couple of episodes of this series and they have been outstanding.

What the final episode showed me more than anything, is that an outdated focus on country of "ownership" is secondary to the country of manufacture that creates the all important jobs that allow our economy to function and grow. We all now live a global economy, and protectionism driven by mis-guided or mid-directed patriotism can only end in disaster. Just look at the state of the French motor industry where they have resolutely resisted foreign investment (for the most part).

If I was a Conservative, Labour or Liberal (or UKIP!) election strategist, then I'd be using the positivity from Top Gear tonight to remind everybody that things in the UK might not be as bad as we sometimes believe...:GoodJob:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just seen the episode .. it very patriotic and makes you proud :Sobbing:

Really good effort BBC!

8. Boglost Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I remember one of the 50s/60s Beetle TV adds that showed the car near pounding waves being showered with salt water, the punchline was something along the lines "Comes with it's own garage". To Brits watching the dreaded tin worm devouring their home built vehicles the Beetle ad must have seemed a promising solution to their woes!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I didn't watch that German episode of Das Shyte auto as I have better things to do with my time .

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just managed to finally watch this(BBC i player does not work outside UK) and must say well done Top Gear.
    Superb ending to the show,Fantastic.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Use a proxy server in the UK mate , easily bypassed :Wink: